Four Lads Had A Dream...why is it not played at Ibrox

pelem

Along with Blue Sea ?. Every other Saturday also.

Get as many of our songs as possible, let the younger fans capture the history of our Club.

From Argyll so young to Glasgow city they'd come.

Seeking fortune and a new way of life. How could they all know, their ambitions would grow.

Such a beautiful story, and here's how it goes.....

Four lads had a dream to start a football team, they had no money no kit not even a ball

They still carried on The RANGERS were born
54 titles, we're still going strong

So hoist up The RANGERS flags, sing with your hearts and voice

Let's celebrate the Greatest Club in the World

Let our history show, what we already know

We ARE The RANGERS, the Greatest of All.

Four Lads Had a Dream.....

Get it played Ibrox DJ, you know it makes sense.

They played the Bobby parks version of 4lads had a dream before the last old firm game.

Only time I've heard it though.

Was played (very quietly I thought) before the game against the tramps in September. Maybe the Bobby Parks version isn't suited to be played in the stadium setting and probably why it's not been heard since.

Don't hear EOS as much as it should be

Jim Hannah asked me to come in and record it with guys from TBO when I first penned it but that was before the financial difficulties of the club played out and the invite never materialised.

Would love to get it officially recorded for the club.
You wrote that song? One of my favourites wish we sung the verses and chorus at the games. Well done. You done anymore?

Knowing what our club are like they’ll be to scared to play it over the tannoy because it’s the same tune as the famine song.

Slightly off topic, what was that song called again that we released around 2009/2010?

Sounded like it was sung by Charlie from Busted? :D

Knowing what our club are like they’ll be to scared to play it over the tannoy because it’s the same tune as the famine song.
Copyright. Believe it or not! Even though it has been pointed out that the song dates back over a 100 years, it certainly aint a Beach Boys tune. There has been many attempts to get this played (including Iain McColl from the founders trail)and all have been unsuccessful. Baffling to say the least. I was asked to write the lyrics to the verses (the brilliant idea for the chorus was not mine) they recorded them put it along with others on a Rangers CD, which.hardly anyone knows exists. Then we were told they couldn't play.it because of copyright :rolleyes:

Needs sorted now. Because its such a beautiful story

Agree with this. We should definitely have a 'timeless' anthem to be played pre match or as the teams emerge from the tunnel.

This needs played – as does the excellent Paisley Road West.
Dunno why the Louden at Ibrox Stadium dont play this.
I handed in two cds with Rangers songs including PRW and Ive never heard it played
The Club should be doing all it can to promote the many fine Rangers songs, old and new, that our out there. For some reason they don't seem interested.

This was the clubs own recording of this song which was released on cd which makes it even more baffling that they claim they cant play it due to copyright

The problem with that recorded version of “Four Lads” posted above is that it isn’t very good. It sounds cheaply produced and over the top when it only needs to be simple.

Sorry.

The problem with that recorded version of “Four Lads” posted above is that it isn’t very good. It sounds cheaply produced and over the top when it only needs to be simple.

Sorry.
Couldn't agree more. There is no 'punch' in the chorus

I just wish we could come together with traditional songs and new ones.We have probably more tunes than any other support and don't make the best of them.
I've sung songs in the 60's and 70's that I know in the 2010's are not acceptable to me never mind anyone who wants to be offended.We need to be smarter without forgetting our heritage.

I just wish we could come together with traditional songs and new ones.We have probably more tunes than any other support and don't make the best of them.
I've sung songs in the 60's and 70's that I know in the 2010's are not acceptable to me never mind anyone who wants to be offended.We need to be smarter without forgetting our heritage.

Excellent post . I find it's not offensive , but the neddy , toe curling cringe songs about Bobby bloody sands :eek:, IRA , pope and shagging weans really embarrass the club at away fixtures on a regular basis.

It's infuriating as we have a great away support in general .

I handed in two cds with Rangers songs including PRW and Ive never heard it played

This was the clubs own recording of this song which was released on cd which makes it even more baffling that they claim they cant play it due to copyright

Heard PRW many a time in there

I handed in two cds with Rangers songs including PRW and Ive never heard
That's a strange one. The Louden always appear to do positive things.

Not a fan of that one.

The guy starts off singing like he’s breathless from having sex, and it’s generally too slow.

Not sure who sings the version I’ve got, but I much prefer it.

Sometimes slow versions are better for the whole stadium to join in though, look at the versions of follow follow and Wolverhampton town, far to fast and always ends up with stands singing the chorus at different times.

Was just about to post this...

Paisley Road West is a magnificent Rangers song!!!

Like many others that never ger played unfortunately
I appreciate your comments on PRW. But what I would say, is the recording that made the song so popular does not lend itself well to the stadium. I recall the day they did play it and felt it was not powerful enough to make an impact. I think if it was to be played, a new recording would be needed. Even the one the club recorded,

is not good enough.

Last edited:
Copyright. Believe it or not! Even though it has been pointed out that the song dates back over a 100 years, it certainly aint a Beach Boys tune. There has been many attempts to get this played (including Iain McColl from the founders trail)and all have been unsuccessful. Baffling to say the least. I was asked to write the lyrics to the verses (the brilliant idea for the chorus was not mine) they recorded them put it along with others on a Rangers CD, which.hardly anyone knows exists. Then we were told they couldn't play.it because of copyright :rolleyes:

Needs sorted now. Because its such a beautiful story

The verses were penned with the chorus originally and IMO they are much better than the ones that people have recorded and put on YouTube.

The original post is also on the old board.

Must admit I’m a bit annoyed when I hear different versions that don’t sound as good as the original but that’s life.

The verses were penned with the chorus originally and IMO they are much better than the ones that people have recorded and put on YouTube.

The original post is also on the old board.

Must admit I’m a bit annoyed when I hear different versions that don’t sound as good as the original but that’s life.
I bet you are annoyed, left out of the loop. The same happened with PRW. Would love to see the original verse lyrics. Do you have them handy?

Last edited:
Jim Hannah asked me to come in and record it with guys from TBO when I first penned it but that was before the financial difficulties of the club played out and the invite never materialised.

Would love to get it officially recorded for the club.
EFiin brilliant mate

This one?

We can’t play that version at Ibrox :D

The wee gay dance hook is like a Stock, Aitken and Waterman track.

The reason Four Lads isn’t played over the speakers pre-match is because there hasn’t been a decent recorded version and also perhaps because there’s a potential copyright issue with Mr Wilson and his fellow Boys.

It’s a shame because it’s one of our best songs and like many others I’d prefer some new songs and traditional songs instead of the same old pish we get.

I bet you are annoyed, left out of the loop. The same happened with PRW. Would love to see the original verse lyrics. Do you have them handy?
I’d need to log onto the old board I’ll do it in around 6 hours when I finish work and I’ll post them on here.

They go perfectly with the original song and tell the exploits of our legends, our day in 72 and also helicopter Sunday.

We can’t play that version at Ibrox :D

The wee gay dance hook is like a Stock, Aitken and Waterman track.

The reason Four Lads isn’t played over the speakers pre-match is because there hasn’t been a decent recorded version and also perhaps because there’s a potential copyright issue with Mr Wilson and his fellow Boys.

It’s a shame because it’s one of our best songs and like many others I’d prefer some new songs and traditional songs instead of the same old pish we get.
Certainly no copyright issues.....

A 1647 colony in the Bahamas included a Welshman named John Bethel. The folk ballad of his crew is believed to have descended through the centuries into the folk song "(Wreck of the) Sloop John B."
In 1926 the original wreck of this ship was discovered in Nassau, a Bahama island near Florida. (Sloops were precarious 16-foot vessels, sailing hundreds of miles without a chart with a 5-person crew.) Poet Carl Sandburg adapted the folk lyrics into a poem, which thirty years later was recorded by The Kingston Trio.

BUT! I do agree we need a better recording. Thestandardbearer, should be involved in any recording, along with his original lyrics.

It's really about time the club re-recorded all the matchday songs & freshen things up a bit. Current versions have been used since early 2000's. The club would make some of the outlay back in selling CD's & downloads of them anyway.

It's really about time the club re-recorded all the matchday songs & freshen things up a bit. Current versions have been used since early 2000's. The club would make some of the outlay back in selling CD's & downloads of them anyway.
If you listen to the songs we play at Ibrox, sung by the same guy (who made a fortune from those recordings) his voice is high pitched voice! No thought into emphasis on encouraging fans to join in. A whole new revamp of the songs are required. I would encourage the club to ask Rangers fan musicians to submit recordings of both examples of traditional songs, which can lend themselves to our stadium and new songs.

If you listen to the songs we play at Ibrox, sung by the same guy (who made a fortune from those recordings) his voice is high pitched voice! No thought into emphasis on encouraging fans to join in. A whole new revamp of the songs are required. I would encourage the club to ask Rangers fan musicians to submit recordings of both examples of traditional songs, which can lend themselves to our stadium and new songs.

The previous recordings were so, so much better.

That's a strange one. The Louden always appear to do positive things.
Another poster says he's heard it played. I may be wrong.

Honestly can't recall hearing it in there and I've been in a few times this season and last

Reactions: WBD
‘The Rangers were born’

4 lads had a dream,
to start a football team,
They had no money no kits not even a balllll,
But they still carried on,
The Rangers were boo-oo-ooorrrnnn,
After 54 titles, we're still going strong!
Doo roo roo, doo roo roo, doo roo

Through the years we've seen Baxter and Weir, and Graeme Souness the man with no fear,
Cooper, Laudrup, John greig and Albertz as well
They've all passed the test
Our boys are simply the be-e-e-s-s-t
And after 54 titles, were still going strong!

Back in may 2000 and 5,
well our title hopes were barely alive!
When Nacho Novo the hero, he popped up with a goal
And the league flag came home
To Ibrox where she belongssss
And after 54 titles, were still going strong

In Barcelona with the boys in blue
Well the stadium it shook right through
The glasgow Rangers scored 3 the Moscow only got 2
The proudest moment we've seen,
With goals from Johnston and Steeeein
And after 54 titles were still going strong!
Doo roo roo, doo roo roo, doo roo.

‘The Rangers were born’

4 lads had a dream,
to start a football team,
They had no money no kits not even a balllll,
But they still carried on,
The Rangers were boo-oo-ooorrrnnn,
After 54 titles, we're still going strong!

Through the years we've seen Baxter and Weir, and Graeme Souness the man with no fear,
Cooper, Laudrup, John greig and Albertz as well
They've all passed the test
Our boys are simply the be-e-e-s-s-t
And after 54 titles, were still going strong!

Back in may 2000 and 5,
well our title hopes were barely alive!
When Nacho Novo the hero, he popped up with a goal
And the league flag came home
To Ibrox where she belongssss
And after 54 titles, were still going strong

In Barcelona with the boys in blue
Well the stadium it shook right through
The glasgow Rangers scored 3 the Moscow only got 2
The proudest moment we've seen,
With goals from Johnston and Steeeein
And after 54 titles were still going strong!
Doo roo roo, doo roo roo, doo roo.
Lol maybe im biased, but I prefer....

From Argyll so young to Glasgow city they'd come.
Seeking fortune and a new way of life. How could they all know, their ambitions would grow.
Such a beautiful story, and here's how it goes.....

Four lads had a dream to start a football team, they had no money no kit not even a ball

They still carried on The RANGERS were born
54 titles, we're still going strong

So hoist up The RANGERS flags, sing with your hearts and voice
Let's celebrate the Greatest Club in the World
Let our history show, what we already know
We ARE The RANGERS, the Greatest of All.

But its your song, so should be your call.

Back