St Johnstone chairman communicates with fans about two transfer sales

It’s a nice statement but the fee for McCann still feels really low. He could have a good season in the championship and go for big money. The exact same way Waghorn did to be honest….

Good to see transparency like that between the club and fans.

On a side note, surely Ali McCann was worth a punt if he was valued at £1.75 million? I have watched 2/4 of St Johnstone’s EL qualifiers this season and he was an absolute standout. I think we will regret losing out on him.

Refreshing and fair, part of me wishes we got McCann but there’s the question of whether he plays 20-30 games for us this season and what impact that has on Kelly.

On a side note, surely Ali McCann was worth a punt if he was valued at £1.75 million? I have watched 2/4 of St Johnstone’s EL qualifiers this season and he was an absolute standout. I think we will regret losing out on him.
100% mate.

Time will tell if these two transfers lead to them being relegated.
Theyre slightly less bad enough than several other sides so will be ok.

That aside its nice to see a bit of clear, concise communication sent out, simply to inform.

Makes a change from the usual attempt to BS people after a bad decision or season of them.

I'm sure if you went back to the thread on here when we were linked with Greg Docherty, much the same would have been said then that's being said now about McCann.

It's all ifs and buts, signing McCann could have went the same way as Docherty or it could have gone the complete opposite. The majority of the time, barring a few, signings from our league rarely work out.

Would St. Johnstone have entertained a bid of £1.75m from Rangers? The skeptic in me says, “ I very much doubt it!”

Should they not have checked with McCann earlier than a a few hours before the end of the window what his thoughts would be on a move to the championship or a bigger club, given all the bids coming in back from July?

They say they wanted to keep him but unless they were offering him a bumper new deal which they can't afford his value was only getting lower by the transfer window. Sounds like they had a lot of interest in a player everyone knew wasn't going to be there much longer including the player himself and failed to make the most of that.

That the player came to them with what his wages would be if he moved shows how little regard is made to the tampering rules these days. Pointless it’s still a thing

I don’t think St Johnstone are in a position to turn down £1.75m from anyone,
You’re probably right, but that leads to the question why did Rangers not make a similar bid for a kid who has the talent, and would have walked over red hot coals and broken glass to sign on at Ibrox.
(ok, the hot coals and broken glass might have put him on the injury list for months, but you get my drift.)

That the player came to them with what his wages would be if he moved shows how little regard is made to the tampering rules these days. Pointless it’s still a thing
It makes zero sense. Imagine a club spent however long getting to the stage of an offer accepted and then like a came of Football manager the player says they have no intention of joining your team?

Agents will be putting feelers out constantly, and likewise players will always be asking their agents to get a better deal for them whether that's at their current club or a new one.

I always find it difficult to assess a player like McCann when it comes to bringing a player in who excels when his team is out of possession most of the time, particularly when we're the opposite!

Mind you, there's a touch of the Stuart McCalls about him, so who knows!

Preston is still a strange move for him. Borderline relegation candidates and probably be quite happy to be in the middle of the pack.

They don't look to pay big wages either - 8k a week seems to be their top earner, so not exactly life-changing money.

He probably could have sat tight for 6 months and either us or the bheasts would have come in for him if he continued to progress - we would have been paying a fair bit more than £1 million I imagine.

This could be far far out but a mate said we offered £800,000 and Glen Middleton on a permanent but they couldn’t agree as they can’t afford Glens wages.

Like i said no idea if there’s any truth at all in that

I’m not sure he’d get the game time at Rangers that he’ll get at Preston and I’m sure one of his reasons for going to Preston would be the game time he’d be getting.

Basically if we ever want a St J player, we approach the club and the player, make the player a good offer and then you will know you can low-ball St J into selling as they don't want an unhappy player or to stunt their progress.
Good to know ;)

That aside, this is a very frank and honest letter from the chairman to his fans (and also indirectly to the media who were clearly shit stirring surrounding the transfers).

Were St Johnstone fans demanding answers like?
Players careers are so short, & particularly at SPL level, it must be hard to be asked to be patient i.e. "stay with us for another 6/12 months", when there is a concrete offer on the table.
If he's on £500 a week at St Johnstone & PNE even offer £3-5k a week then that is a big jump. Adding in bonuses etc then of course it is life-changing. & let's be honest, he won the league cup, the Scottish Cup & played in Europe for St Johnstone. They won't be doing that again anytime soon.

Laughing at the notion that somebody has to explain their actions to some of the most fairweather supporters out there.

St Johnstone sold a player to a bigger club who are going to pay him more wages. Why the need for the explanation? Did I miss the riots in Perth on Tuesday?

More woke birthday caird pish.

Everyone in pro football knows that every player has his transfer price and every player wants to play at the highest level possible for them. I don’t understand any supporter who objects to the transfer of any player who is guaranteed a longer contract at significantly higher wages at another club. If these supporters were offered more money and a longer job at, say, another factory/office/building site you wouldn’t see them for dust. If the selling club is happy with the money and uses some or all to invest in new players what’s not to like?

Back