Ally McCoist sends cheeky Celtic in Seville dig as Rangers legend quips total fan figure 'increases by the month'

BlueMeanie

It's well known Hoops fans flocked to the Spanish city en masse and were praised for their conduct but the final number is subject to debate and McCoist had a bit of fun.

Quick-witted Ally McCoist made a cheeky dig at Celtic diehard Alan Brazil ahead of the Europa League clash between the Hoops and Real Betis in Seville.
Ange Postecoglou leads his squad into battle in the Europa League opener against La Liga opposition on Thursday night.
It's a big test but it's also an emotional return to the city where hundreds of thousands of Celtic fans descended for the 2003 UEFA Cup Final, winning widespread praise for their conduct despite losing out to Porto.

But there's often confusion on the total number that turned up in Spain and McCoist couldn't resist a dig at the sometimes inflated figures.

Ally McCoist as a pundit in the studio

Ally McCoist

Brazil began on talkSPORT: “Tonight, Rangers have played Lyon but I don’t think Celtic have played Betis before, off the top of my head."
And a sharp McCoist replied: “No, but it is in a city you were in not so long ago.

“You took, what was it, 436 million? Was it slightly more than that?
“It keeps increasing by the month, I just forgot, that’s all it was.

“But that’s an interesting one, and they play in green and white stripes while Celtic play in green and white hoops, there’s an interesting wee fact for you.
“I’ve been in the Betis stadium, I had a trip to Seville and had a wee look about. That will be a good test for Celtic."

It's well known Hoops fans flocked to the Spanish city en masse and were praised for their conduct but the final number is subject to debate and McCoist had a bit of fun.

Quick-witted Ally McCoist made a cheeky dig at Celtic diehard Alan Brazil ahead of the Europa League clash between the Hoops and Real Betis in Seville.
Ange Postecoglou leads his squad into battle in the Europa League opener against La Liga opposition on Thursday night.
It's a big test but it's also an emotional return to the city where hundreds of thousands of Celtic fans descended for the 2003 UEFA Cup Final, winning widespread praise for their conduct despite losing out to Porto.

But there's often confusion on the total number that turned up in Spain and McCoist couldn't resist a dig at the sometimes inflated figures.

Ally McCoist as a pundit in the studio

Ally McCoist

Brazil began on talkSPORT: “Tonight, Rangers have played Lyon but I don’t think Celtic have played Betis before, off the top of my head."
And a sharp McCoist replied: “No, but it is in a city you were in not so long ago.

“You took, what was it, 436 million? Was it slightly more than that?
“It keeps increasing by the month, I just forgot, that’s all it was.

“But that’s an interesting one, and they play in green and white stripes while Celtic play in green and white hoops, there’s an interesting wee fact for you.
“I’ve been in the Betis stadium, I had a trip to Seville and had a wee look about. That will be a good test for Celtic."

Not sure about them being praised for their conduct right enough ?

I thought there was a stabbing.

"It's a big test but it's also an emotional return to the city where hundreds of thousands of Celtic fans descended for the 2003 UEFA Cup Final, winning widespread praise for their conduct despite losing out to Porto."

The bit in bold is what I noticed. So this is actually fact in Timmy's mind now.

I can remember 40,000 being the figure reported for the first few days. This ramped up to 80,000 a few days later.

First I've heard hundreds of thousands though! What mentally challenged propaganda rag is this report from?

"It's a big test but it's also an emotional return to the city where hundreds of thousands of Celtic fans descended for the 2003 UEFA Cup Final, winning widespread praise for their conduct despite losing out to Porto."

The bit in bold is what I noticed. So this is actually fact in Timmy's mind now.

I can remember 40,000 being the figure reported for the first few days. This ramped up to 80,000 a few days later.

First I've heard hundreds of thousands though! What mentally challenged propaganda rag is this report from?
The Sunday Mail did an article on it, they took all the figures from the week before, the week of the game and the week after. They took into concideration planes, boars and ferries, including into Portugal and Gibraltar and worked out that for the week of the game there was approximately 57,000 fans there. The Sevile police official estimate was 54,000.

It's got them raging. :))

A non-story of course. Ally's just doing his job, having 'banter' with Brazil.

I often find it incredible that there were 1000s of empty seats in the stadium that night considering ‘ 100000 plus travelled’

Their great grandkids will be told that they had more in Seville than what the world population was in 2002 SB.

It’s a pity they’ll all be Rangers fans & won’t believe it.

The Sunday Mail did an article on it, they took all the figures from the week before, the week of the game and the week after. They took into concideration planes, boars and ferries, including into Portugal and Gibraltar and worked out that for the week of the game there was approximately 57,000 fans there. The Sevile police official estimate was 54,000.
Boars being a popular mode of transport from the Piggery......?

Last edited:

Thanks Derek.

You got any formal statement on Seville Police figure mate ?

More than one if my memory is correct.
The authorities decided just to repatriate them instead of arresting, probably couldn't cope.
They were rioting at the screening near the ground.

The SMSM have done a wee propaganda job for them again it seems Sandbear ?

What was the source of that quote above SB ?

Parkhead must be the biggest arena in mankind. A home for hundreds of thousands of celtc fans yet they still have the luxury of closing a stand and having empty seats between them all.

The rags back then kept saying " up to 80,000 Hoops fans in Shuvill." Including thousands of Scots holidaymakers in Spain at the time it would have been around that figure. But Ally is correct to mock the nonsense attendance of that mob in Spain. The Shuvill Calculator was invented around the same time. lol

Back