“I’m happy with the team’s mentality” Clement.

In recent history, think of the title races that went down to the wire. Think of the players we had across those squads;

Barry Ferguson
Lorenzo Amoruso
Craig Moore
Neil McCann
Alex Rae
Dado Pros
Marvin Andrews
Davie Weir
Magic Bougherra
Steven Naismith

Proper nasty bastards who had the grit required.

Look across our squad now, there is not one single nasty individual to drive us on. Not one. We have some lads that are decent enough footballers but they havnt got the requirements in their heart/minds.

I like Clement and hopefully with a newer and hungrier squad we can look forward to good times next season.
But that’s twice he’s came out with nonsense that most of us disagree with when it comes to describing the squad.
I get he’s trying to protect them but we’re not stupid we can see they’re struggling for form and confidence.
He can still praise them but back it up with points where we can improve.

4 league games left and you want him to bollok them in public?

He will be telling them differently in private.
Hope I’m wrong but I’m not sure he is, you would have seen see a reaction from them. You would see a lot of them willing to run through brick walls. Today was yet another gruelling watch was it not?

The performance was crap, it done nothing to give us hope of the title, but coming out and slating the group of players at this stage won't have the desired affect.

I doubt very much he's in the changing room congratulating everyone for being amazing and having a great mentality. We aren't plating anywhere near the way he says he wants us playing, he'll make sure the team know that.
It’s blind faith everyone claiming, behind closed doors the manager will be doing this and that.

It’s blind faith everyone claiming, behind closed doors the manager will be doing this and that.
The only true evidence is what’s put on the pitch.

The amount of interpretations of the managers comments recently and the discussion of them is irrelevant compared to what we can see with our own eyes.

Today we were poor again for the majority of the match but we at least got the 3 points which is an improvement on the last two league results and really all that matters right now.

Needs to have a look at his tactics. We're long ball merchants against St Mirren. It should be better with the resources we have.

He’s explained this, until we have better players in certain positions we are not a team able to play football in a better way as many can’t play against a press etc.

I’m surprised at how many people are taking a lot of Clement’s recent statements quite literally and not recognising that he has to prop up a few in this squad to get the season out of them, and maybe even win this title and the Scottish Cup.

Coming out and slating them in the media would be a huge mistake.

Yes we’d all love a top notch performance to go with the 3 points but that’s not the reality like it or lot
I’m just happy to win

To me that’s where it’s all wrong. This team today looked half hearted,lacked urgency and desire.
The mentality is all wrong because they have no belief.
They had a good run and are capable,however that doesn’t look to come back anytime soon.
You want the manager to slate the players in public when we’ve still a chance of winning another 2 trophies?

Is it our mentality that is the problem?
Seems to be the go to reason for every reverse.

We're all frustrated as many of us grew up in our most successful periods.

The frustrations of the last 12 years doesn't help of course but we can be savage when things don't go right.

There was mass calls for Gerrard to "get to fck" on here a year before 55.

And I'll never forget those "Gio, Gio get tae fck" chants in Perth. Just months on from winning the Scottish Cup, nearly winning a major European final and qualifying for the Champions League.

I like Clement and hopefully with a newer and hungrier squad we can look forward to good times next season.
But that’s twice he’s came out with nonsense that most of us disagree with when it comes to describing the squad.
I get he’s trying to protect them but we’re not stupid we can see they’re struggling for form and confidence.
He can still praise them but back it up with points where we can improve.
IIRC Terry Butcher decided to tell the world that the players were gutless and basically useless …it really motivated them to relegation!

Just doesn't seem to be the same team spirit as there was in the first few months of Clement's time here.

Defence used to be high fiving each other after every clearance. Own goal in the Ross County game and the one yesterday there was a strange sort of delayed half hearted celebration where you weren't sure if the players thought it was going to be ruled out or something.

After Butland's wonder save yesterday, none of his team mates are over congratulating him on it - only person who does is Gogic!

Could you imagine if he came on ranting like the unhinged on here. The media would have a weeks worth of negativity.

He's doing his job, berating players these days especially, is not going to do him, the players or the fans any good. That carry on with sala yesterday, is going to run and run.

We have enough to deal with, before handing out the bullets.
I look at it like this big Phil lives in the real world and not the fantasy world on here.plenty of realists on here who understand how it works.on the other hand we also have plenty on here who think the best way to get results is call everybody shit and rip up there contracts, get rid in the summer.

I look at it like this big Phil lives in the real world and not the fantasy world on here.plenty of realists on here who understand how it works.on the other hand we also have plenty on here who think the best way to get results is call everybody shit and rip up there contracts, get rid in the summer.

100%. The refusal to acknowledge and understand how things work in the real world and that reality isn't sitting raging on the internet all days fascinates me.

Just doesn't seem to be the same team spirit as there was in the first few months of Clement's time here.

Defence used to be high fiving each other after every clearance. Own goal in the Ross County game and the one yesterday there was a strange sort of delayed half hearted celebration where you weren't sure if the players thought it was going to be ruled out or something.

After Butland's wonder save yesterday, none of his team mates are over congratulating him on it - only person who does is Gogic!

Morale has been in the gutter since we were knocked out against Benfica.

Probably an accumulation of fatigue and pressure creeping in.

I can remember our 9 in a row team scrapping past teams in the run in in fact getting stuffed by Aberdeen then Motherwell playing shite at St Mirren and scrapping a win that set up a do or die game against the sheep it was a difficult away game as hard as they come with a lunatic ref I’ll take the three points.

My way of looking at it, is the top 3 in the epl. 3 managers the clubs have stuck by and it shows. I remember fine well on here people posting that Arteta's time was up. I hope arsenal win it, but it's not easy with Manchester City breathing down your neck. Regardless, Arsenal proved they done well sticking with him.

Now we have our manager being questioned after having the audacity to drag us back into a title race, that was a lost cause for us. The one manager we have held onto for 3 seasons, won us the league. Keep chopping and changing, then we won't be winning the league for a very long time.

IIRC Terry Butcher decided to tell the world that the players were gutless and basically useless …it really motivated them to relegation!
There’s ways and means on how to handle these situations.
As I said he doesn’t have to go in two footed. He can still praise them but at the same time point out to the fans he can see the problems we’re all seeing and hopefully they can rectify it.
But to say he’s happy with their mentality when we can all clearly see the pressure is getting to a few of them.
To finish , I think Clement will do well for us.

The only true evidence is what’s put on the pitch.

The amount of interpretations of the managers comments recently and the discussion of them is irrelevant compared to what we can see with our own eyes.

Today we were poor again for the majority of the match but we at least got the 3 points which is an improvement on the last two league results and really all that matters right now.
Agree with you regards the most important aspect. Also agree that none of us are experts and no one exactly knows what is going on or being said behind the scenes and all we can go on is what we witness on the park, which for the last month to 6wks has been disappointing, as much as it pains me to admit.

Whether phil is happy with the mentality or not will not be proven correct or incorrect until the title is decided. If we have blown it, people can rightly question it. If we win it, then its a team that have come back from 11 points, had a set back and overcome it again at the death. Nothing could show better mentality than that. Not even the gers teams that have won tight titles on the last day in the past. We wont know the answer until we know it. Im happy at the moment to believe that phil believes what he is saying and that we will win this league. Others aren’t and thats their call.

What was he meant to say after a 2 - 1 away victory in the middle of a Title battle ?
"I'm going to consult the army of Psychologists and students of kinesics on FF before I make comment. Once I have coveted their rational thoughts I will speak."

He’s explained this, until we have better players in certain positions we are not a team able to play football in a better way as many can’t play against a press etc.
Being completely accurate, we actually were a team able to play football in a better way and did so up until about two months ago when it all started to unravel.

The reasons for that is what we need to examine, if not now then certainly in the summer.

Is it a fitness thing? Is it players lacking desire and fight? Are we just tiring? Have some players checked out? Have the tactics changed? The training?

It feels like both ourselves and the Yahoos are in a couple of planes spluttering towards the ground with only one working engine and the winner will be the one whose crash ends with the least amount of damage.

To me that’s where it’s all wrong. This team today looked half hearted,lacked urgency and desire.
They had a good run and are capable,however that doesn’t look to come back anytime soon.
How can he be happy with us starting EVERY early kick off in sleep mode. Every game we almost lose a goal in the opening seconds. Against the scum we did lose one.
We have a captain with zero inspirational qualities.
Despite the fact we can still win the league our players are playing with a passive style of football.

It's shocking how poor we are.

In recent history, think of the title races that went down to the wire. Think of the players we had across those squads;

Barry Ferguson
Lorenzo Amoruso
Craig Moore
Neil McCann
Alex Rae
Dado Pros
Marvin Andrews
Davie Weir
Magic Bougherra
Steven Naismith

Proper nasty bastards who had the grit required.

Look across our squad now, there is not one single nasty individual to drive us on. Not one. We have some lads that are decent enough footballers but they havnt got the requirements in their heart/minds.
Craig Moore that furked off to play for Australia u23’s as an overage pick in preference to Rangers in the Champions League.

Okay dokey.

First reply etc. he’s not going to come out and admit we were shite at this stage of the season. I expect he knows that.

How can he be happy with us starting EVERY early kick off in sleep mode. Every game we almost lose a goal in the opening seconds. Against the scum we did lose one.
Despite the fact we can still win the league our players are playing with a passive style of football.

Not according to any of his teammates.

Tavernier doesn’t inspire?

I do not think he believes what he is saying, but with 4 games and a cup final remaining, saying publicly he does not believe the team has the right mentality is just throwing the towel in.

Stop believing what managers say post game. It's all soundbites.

He's not going to come out and say that was a disgrace when we've still got a cup final to win is he?

I think Clement is giving his honest opinion here.

If the mentality was as big an issue as people suggest, we wouldn't be back in this title race in the first place. He'll be giving his view based on his time here, which is all he can do.

First reply etc. he’s not going to come out and admit we were shite at this stage of the season. I expect he knows that.

He did as good as say we didn't play well, though.

But when you're not playing well, and injuries are clearly having an effect on your attacking output as you have a striker and a full back in the wide positions, winning does suggest there's positives in terms of mentality.

One thing we never seem to do is give enough credit to the opposition when we have a tough game, which Clement sees differently as well.

Reactions: DJT
PC says what he needs to say publicly. He perhaps changes the narrative privately, but not too much. His job is to motivate the players, build them up and their belief. What he doesn't do is batter any fragile confidence they have or hand ammunition to our opponents through ill judged, emotional comments post match. At this point, hell be happy to take any kind of win in each game until the end of the season.

Here come all the Sigmund Freud's telling us it's about mentality & mindset, when in reality we just don't have good attacking players who score goals.

You can list all your heroes from the past & put them on a pedestal all you want, but they played with match winners, we don't have them (apart from our RB). It's that simple.

He did as good as say we didn't play well, though.

But when you're not playing well, and injuries are clearly having an effect on your attacking output as you have a striker and a full back in the wide positions, winning does suggest there's positives in terms of mentality.

One thing we never seem to do is give enough credit to the opposition when we have a tough game, which Clement sees differently as well.

Walter was the same.

Craig Moore that furked off to play for Australia u23’s as an overage pick in preference to Rangers in the Champions League.

Okay dokey.
Barry Ferguson who threw away his Rangers career twice. The second time down due to immature and unprofessional behaviour leading to poor choices.

It does not change the fact that he knew what it took to win and had plenty of grit in doing so.

Craig Moore is in the same bracket.

Back