18 goals conceded in our last 10 league games.

Brick_Top

Official Ticketer
In that time we’ve conceded 3 to Hearts, 2 to Dundee, 3 to Ross County, and 2 to Motherwell in single matches.

Only 1 clean sheet in those 10 games, and it was in a 0-0 draw at Dundee.

6 of those 10 games we’ve conceded first.

Maybe I just have a short memory but I’d be surprised if our defence was even leaking to that extent during the 2016-2018 period before Gerrard.

We’ve went from having the best defensive record in the league by some distance to finishing the season with a few more goals conceded than the filth.

And all at the business end of the season after we got our noses in front in the league.

Last edited:
In that time we’ve conceded 3 to Hearts, 2 to Dundee, 3 to Ross County, and 2 to Motherwell in single matches.

Only 1 clean sheet in those 10 games, and it was in a 0-0 draw at Dundee.

Maybe I just have a short memory but I’d be surprised if our defence was even leaking to that extent during the 2016-2018 period before Gerrard.
We conceded 5 at the Piggery and 5 at Easter Road in the 2 away games before Gerrard arrived.

We win the league cup and progress in Europe. The league cup final Aberdeen created nothing, everything was about nil.

“The manager simplified everything” was the statement from all players

Whatever work was done in January, unravelled us both in our inability to attack unless Cortes got 1 on 1.

Plus we were getting broken on immediately by teams and offering up free headers at every single set piece. Motherwell was the first game we got genuinely punished for it.

Diomande Cantwell Lawrence Yilmaz unleashing howitzers in the late winter games when we couldnt make a breakthrough, muddled us through, in hindsight.

Atrocious. We still scored 4 in a half against Celtic. The level required to win wasnt even that high.

Have we been able to play the same back 4 together in any of them? Not an excuse by any means but our 4th choice centre back has been the only fit cd in the last 2 and he's had a young guy who's been retrained as a dm all season playing beside him. Tav has seen his form both attacking and defending at the lowest level it's been since he joined the club but because of injuries and lack of options he's not been rested at all this season yet again. We've ended up giving a young lb a few games as Barisic's mind is elsewhere already and Ridvan has been injured. That's all before we even think about who's protecting said defence centrally and down both flanks. Any team in world football is going to concede more goals than normal under those circumstances.

Doesn't help when full backs don't cut out crosses, CHs can't head, all 4 don't mark properly, can't anticipate the bounce of a ball and let the opposition have a free header ( and that includes the midfield as well ) can't find a blue shirt when passing, get bullied off the ball by midgets, take 5 hours to control a ball before passing etc etc etc

we were a bit lucky in the first half of the year, the defence was awful despite the numbers.

Does it start from around the time Balogun got injured?

I feel as if Goldson/Balogun pairing was a big part of the run when we closed the gap, we did not concede many goals at all. Now we are losing up to three goals in games regularly.

The same story as last season and the season before. A patched up defence leaking goals and going behind in every match. Michael Beale instead of Sorting his defence out first decides it's wise to blow the budget on 3 forwards.

Wild.

Both full backs are weak defensively but good going forward. Midfield lacks energy and physicality
Set up 4-5-1 next week with Tav wide right of 5 man midfield and Sterling at RB. Cantwell in midfield with Sima (if fit) wide left midfield to assist Ridvan.

It's actually a difficult stat to comprehend given how good it was when Clement came in.

I can't understand what has changed so dramatically for us going from defensively brilliant to defensively shambolic in such a short space of time?

we went 9 games without conceding earlier in the season IIRC
We also had only conceded 4 away from home by January or something crazy like that.

Both full backs are weak defensively but good going forward. Midfield lacks energy and physicality
Set up 4-5-1 next week with Tav wide right of 5 man midfield and Sterling at RB. Cantwell in midfield with Sima (if fit) wide left midfield to assist Ridvan.
It's not going to happen. We will go 4-2-3-1, play with a number 10 while they over run our midfield 2 and we will lose again.

Done it 3 times in a row now and the manager said in hindsight he wouldn't change anything so I expect much of the same.

It's not going to happen. We will go 4-2-3-1, play with a number 10 while they over run our midfield 2 and we will lose again.

Done it 3 times in a row now and the manager said in hindsight he wouldn't change anything so I expect much of the same.
It's so predictable, Rodgers will be rubbing his hands knowing what formation he'll be facing.

Yilmaz caught ball watching two goals today. What happened to the old adage of building a team around the spine, we have a keeper and that’s about it.

If that happens then the manager's tactical awareness needs to be questioned. Rodgers knows he can get Mcgregor to drive forward and provide overloads in midfield. Same way they used to use Ajer from the back to provide the overload. He also targets Tav (to good effect) with Maeda's pace and workrate. Play to Tav's strengths going forward as wide right in a 5 man midfield to give Maeda something to worry. PC has got to have learnt by now what our weaknesses are against them and he must change it.

Back