2008, Pre-season, Schalke?

marc_dgris

Did any of you attend the pre-season match in Gelsenkirchen?
Do you have any memories of the city to share?
There were comparatively few Bears as it followed so closely after the run to Manchester, and many who would usually have gone on pre-season trips had already spent substantial amounts of cash and annual leave in the early part of the year

Mind watching it in the glaswegian then getting ridiculously drunk after it.
I was mildly intoxicated at it. I'd travelled in from Wuppertal with MartinL who used to post on here, his ex, and some of his German mates who were Schalke fans

We were there, great trip, smashing stadium. Flew to Düsseldorf and drove there. Just remember not a lot of English speakers in Gelsenkirchen.

There were comparatively few Bears as it followed so closely after the run to Manchester, and many who would usually have gone on pre-season trips had already spent substantial amounts of cash and annual leave in the early part of the year
I was there but not in the town as I live near and took the car. so no help to you there. The bits that stood out for me was walking past the ruins of the old stadium on the way up to the ground and instead of climbing a mass of stairs inside the ground the road up to the stadium ha a slow gradient up and actually when I entered the stadium I actually had to go downstairs to my seat. Completely different from Dortmund, where you need an oxygen mask and a pair of binoculars to watch the game.

I was there but not in the town as I live near and took the car. so no help to you there. The bits that stood out for me was walking past the ruins of the old stadium on the way up to the ground and instead of climbing a mass of stairs inside the ground the road up to the stadium ha a slow gradient up and actually when I entered the stadium I actually had to go downstairs to my seat. Completely different from Dortmund, where you need an oxygen mask and a pair of binoculars to watch the game.
Aye, it's an interesting set up. I remember getting a tram back in to the hauptbanhof quite some time after the game. I'm looking forward to seeing the stadium again on Friday, hopefully I'll remember a bit more

I went over but stayed in Düsseldorf which was excellent.
Wasn’t particularly impressed with Gelsenkirchen didn’t seem as many bars although very friendly in clubhouse beside the stadium.
Train through on day of game was wild with folk heading to Love Parade music festival in Dortmund.

Reactions: SSR
Was there this weekend. It’s a totally different place to Düsseldorf. Have been a few times so know a bit about it. There are a couple of good fan pubs on the Schalke Miele (Auf Schalke full of memorabilia) but like I say it’s very different to say Duss or Hamburg. The area to the rear of the station is very Arabic based, I was quite shocked by it to be honest - couldn’t even find a pub. It’s a good stadium, easy to get to from Hauptbahnhof. Stayed in Essen which was alright really, around there though Duss always wins on the drinking front for me, Bochum is also alright.

Stayed in Dusseldorf and got train on day of game.Train was also full of people going to Love Parade lively.
We came out the wrong side of station in Gelsenkirtchen and thought is that it ?
Other side wasn't much better just a few bars..

Went to all 3 games

Pressuen Munster, Sportfrende Lotte and Schalke

Stayed in Munster for the 1st 2 games and in Essen for the Schalke game remember went through the day before it seen Schalke train visited the club shop was impressed with that, remember seeing some the old ground and got tickets for game

Game day remember the trains were fill with those going the Love Parade as posted - game itself not much to right home about - Sure the top we wore as the training top due to some issue

You never really take pre-season seriously bur I do remember speaking to those that i knew the that 'vibe' wasn't great given we gearing upto the crucial CL qualifier just a couple after been in major European final

Last edited:
Back