25 years since Celtic's Shame Game

Ah, the "Old Firm Shame Game" as it had became by the late Sunday evening.

A player from which club got himself a red card because of a meltdown - even though he was awarded the free kick?

From which side did the 4 pitch invasions come from?

How much change was found in a corner that housed supporters of which club? While we're at it, how did all that change get there?

A supporter of which club decided to take a sky-dive detour going for a pie?

Another player from which club actively tried to injure his fellow pros before getting himself a red card?

Fans of which club pelted the opposition side - forcing them to run up the tunnel at full-time?

The game was pretty one-sided on the pitch, it was very much the opposite in the stands.

I wonder how many papers will do it justice tomorrow and if they do mention it will it be the Old Firm Shame Game? :rolleyes:

Reading the papers the next day truly opened my eyes to how scared they are of that club.

The rewriting of what I had seen the day before before and the blame sharing was mind boggling.

Our players 'huddle' at the end was given equal status to stabbings, coin throwing and assaults. One journo said "Rangers players would struggle to muster a brain cell between them".

The only person who laid the blame squarely at sellic and their fans door was Charlie Nicholas. I have time for him for that alone. Everybody else shat it.

Bear in mind that was the second time in five years that their support had completely lost the plot - remember their antics during the New Years Day game in ‘94, again throwing their toys out the pram because Rangers were dismantling them at home.

They should have been hammered on both occasions, not excused !!

Would point out while it threatened the end of the broadcast deal with Sky in the end only that game was prevented from a Sunday kick-off of 6.05pm

1999/00 and 2000/01 it was still 6.05pm while in 2001/02 Sky moved the Scottish games to Saturdsy 5.35pm after losing the Football League rights to ITV digital

Bear in mind that was the second time in five years that their support had completely lost the plot - remember their antics during the New Years Day game in ‘94, again throwing their toys out the pram because Rangers were dismantling them at home.

They should have been hammered on both occasions, not excused !!
If we somehow managed to go 2 up there when we next meet I've absolutely no doubt there would be a repeat. Pitch invasions, their fans trying to assault our players or the officials, missiles raining down on our dugout etc.

Then just imagine the reactions after if Dessers tied his shirt to their goalpost, Tav gave it the get it up you gesture to their fans, Goldson spat on their crest, Lawrence stood on a barrier in the stands holding a Union Jack aloft, all things that happened after we've been smashed by them, and who would be blamed if the expected response came from it despite our lack of reaction to the exact same things.

A player from which club got himself a red card because of a meltdown - even though he was awarded the free kick?

How much change was found in a corner that housed supporters of which club? While we're at it, how did all that change get there?

Another player from which club actively tried to injure his fellow pros before getting himself a red card?

Fans of which club pelted the opposition side - forcing them to run up the tunnel at full-time?

The game was pretty one-sided on the pitch, it was very much the opposite in the stands.

Rightly called the "Old Firm" shame game.

One team celebrated winning the league at the end of the game.
Utterly reprehensible behaviour.

What a Sunday that was, bank holiday next day as well so no work for me and the good lady. Partied all night.

Watched in a hotel bar in Majorca as a 9 year old. Didn’t fully appreciate it at the time.

I’ve never seen it referred to as anything other than the ‘old firm shame game’ which is utterly shameless in itself.

Dallas showed real balls that day. I’m sure he gave us a penalty seconds after being patched up from the coin to the head.

Am I right in saying the beasts haven’t had a game changing decision go again them since?

Dick Gordon's take on it.

Despite saying otherwise he effectivle blamed the referee for the mayhem:
"In the early stages of Sunday's encounter a number of 50-50 decisions went the way of Rangers and all around us it was clear that the Celtic fanswere being pushed to the limit".
the only thing I think Dallas did wrong in the game was give us the penalty after getting hit by the coin, you could see he was looking for retribution on them

was pretty soft if I remember correctly but did I care? of course I didn't

Reading the papers the next day truly opened my eyes to how scared they are of that club.

The rewriting of what I had seen the day before before and the blame sharing was mind boggling.

Our players 'huddle' at the end was given equal status to stabbings, coin throwing and assaults. One journo said "Rangers players would struggle to muster a brain cell between them".

The only person who laid the blame squarely at sellic and their fans door was Charlie Nicholas. I have time for him for that alone. Everybody else shat it.

Was there not an outcry about the huddle celebration at the end? With a lot of buzzwords being used to describe it.

Was there not an outcry about the huddle celebration at the end? With a lot of buzzwords being used to describe it.

Yeah it was given as much attention as the 60 odd quids worth of coinage that was thrown.

In a way I wished our players hadnt done that huddle as it gave the media a last minute excuse to drag us into sellics disgrace. Though I know if they hadnt have done it they would have probably found something else.

Find and post the Sutton video please :p

Patrick Glenn at Ibrox
Sun 21 Nov 2004 00.49 GMT

O'Neill's response to his team's predicament was predictable. He removed the disappointing Henri Camara, brought Pearson off the bench and pushed Sutton forward to lend his considerable weight to the attack.

The big Englishman, who has been a consistently telling influence for the Parkhead side since his arrival in Glasgow, on this occasion rewarded his manager with the most foolish ordering-off imaginable. Having been cautioned in the first half for a high challenge on Alex Rae, Sutton lasted only 11 minutes of the second before reaching out to handle a header from Marvin Andrews back to Klos.

The goat worrier punched the ball twice to ensure the referee saw him and gave him the second yellow.

Last edited:
Dick Gordon's take on it.

Despite saying otherwise he effectivle blamed the referee for the mayhem:
"In the early stages of Sunday's encounter a number of 50-50 decisions went the way of Rangers and all around us it was clear that the Celtic fanswere being pushed to the limit".
Yep, it was all the referee and Rangers’ fault that the Celtic fans pelted the referee with coins - cutting him in the process; jumped out of the top tiers of the stands and then smashed that windows at the referees home that evening.

Celtic fans should take no responsibility for their behaviour because a few 50/50 decisions didn’t go their way… :oops:

The media more than implied that Rangers players mocking their daft huddle was equal to the lunacy from their team and fans the 90 minutes before. They couldn't handle getting beat, and reacted in the way they always do, by upping the violence, both on and off the pitch.

The rapist took a skydive.
Fixed it for you.

I wonder how many papers will do it justice tomorrow and if they do mention it will it be the Old Firm Shame Game? :rolleyes:

We did absolutely nothing to shame ourselves that day, except win too easily.

The tramps utterly shamed themselves, again.

The way the infested papers reported it was shameful.

Back