2nd rejection for Scott Arfield bid to open a pub on Copland Road

rangeral

https://www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/news...ngers-heros-plan-pub-near-Ibrox-pub-rejected/

A former Rangers player's bid to open a pub near Ibrox Stadium has been rejected for a second time.

As the Glasgow Times previously reported, the midfielder who now plays for Charlotte FC first submitted a bid in June 2023.

He asked for permission to transform two vacant units on Copland Road into a new pub. The application was rejected by the council but the footballer re-applied in March.

In the papers, the applicant's agent argued why the previous reasons for refusal should be reconsidered.

Now, planning officials have once again knocked back the proposal.

In the decision, they reasoned that the submission is not in line with the development plan and local guidance due to its impact on the area, location and waste storage.

Currently, the units, near Ibrox Stadium, are vacant, having been previously used as a bookmakers.

I think SA is badly advised here regarding this as a business plan. An extremely busy pub across the road, Lodge Corkerhill doing decent business on match also, and a Sports Bar opening in the Stadium.
A boozer next a football stadium owned a popular ex player of the club - nada wrong with the business plan.

Louden is rammed and so is NEH.

The crux of the issue here is they’ve seen it’s something good for Rangers fans and went “%^*& that”.

The Louden is nearby and we also have NEH for anybody who wants a pint. I genuinely don't think anothe pub is needed on that location.
really?

You could open another 3 pubs there and they would be rammed

Louden is too busy to serve everyone, big queue outside and you spend half you drinking time inside queueing to get a drink.

Not a dig at the Louden, but it could double in size and still be rammed on match days

Never understand why people want to ignore the perfectly reasonable, logical and understandable answer and leap straight to conspiracy bullshit instead.

Especially when it clearly appears to make them angry. It’s like they actually want to be angry.
I'm sick of it.

Not going to lie to you: if I bought a flat and the empty unit or shop below it turned into a football pub of our kind or anything else, I'd be absolutely raging.

Never understand why people want to ignore the perfectly reasonable, logical and understandable answer and leap straight to conspiracy bullshit instead.

Especially when it clearly appears to make them angry. It’s like they actually want to be angry.
They're tragic paranoid wrecks. The same punters are all over the threads calling the scum paranoid.

I think SA is badly advised here regarding this as a business plan. An extremely busy pub across the road, Lodge Corkerhill doing decent business on match also, and a Sports Bar opening in the Stadium.
That's why he'll do well I think.

The Louden is nearby and we also have NEH for anybody who wants a pint. I genuinely don't think anothe pub is needed on that location.
More pubs the better the spread out the crowds

Last few games in the louden you couldn’t get moving, and wee Rangers is the same. I haven’t been in NEH on a match day so can’t comment on that personally but have heard ones saying it’s a fight to get served too.

Have you considered comparing it to a city centre location that probably has bars all around it where people have famously congregated to drink in them for the past 150 odd years?

There's a market for it, I go to the Fairfield bowling club since 2021, previously the Louden until I decided to no longer give them my custom.

Both are mobbed as is bellahouston BC and the corkerhill club.

There's definitely a market for more pubs.

There's a market for it, I go to the Fairfield bowling club since 2021, previously the Louden until I decided to no longer give them my custom.

Both are mobbed as is bellahouston BC and the corkerhill club.

There's definitely a market for more pubs.

Why did you stop going to the Louden out of curiosity?

Competition for the Louden is a good thing.
Wouldn't so much be competition as an 'overflow'. Louden is rammed on matchdays. Too rammed really. Question is, would it be worth opening a bar that's only going to be busy once or twice a week? The Louden is big enough that it can get the numbers in to generate enough money on matchdays to make it worthwhile (I assume). Not sure the units being spoken about here would do the same.

Back