30 years ago today East enclosures last stand

I remember the 'last stand' in East enclosure very well, as I was in there with 2 mates from our supporters club, one of which was on crutches!
At the end of the game, we waited until the crowd had drifted away & the 3 of us were standing looking around the East enclosure, sharing memories, before we were asked to 'move on'.
I can still see the East enclosure, as I glanced round for the final time, to see the empty terracing.
Very sad to see the terracing go as the following season, when the seats were in, the atmosphere was sadly gone.

There was no reason to get rid of the terracing in UK stadiums. It was a knee jeck reaction to a dreadful disaster. At the very least it should have remained on a case by case basis.

As long as its properly managed with how many get in with all relevant security and safety prcedures in place then there is no issues.

I was there yes, was quite a surreal occasion knowing that we'd never stand there again

I'm sure some clown jumped up in the Copland (although I could be wrong) when that wee rat Collins scored for the vermin too

We were all then moved into the Broomloan Rear for the last game v Dundee in a dreadful 0-0 draw and everybody was handed out cardboard posters with 6 in a row on them

I would have been 8 then and my Dad coming back from the game and giving me one of these :D

If that was to happen nowadays, this place would be in uproar.
That's a shocking stat when you think about it, more or less lost or drew near enough half of our league games.

8 defeats and 14 draws. We were up against very little at the time. Celtic were a basket case and Aberdeen had fallen away quite dramatically compared to the team they had a few years earlier.

Only 2 wins from the first 7 games. That 4-2 victory over Celtic was our only win over them in the league.

Despite being on the verge of back to back trebles we were really poor, especially after what had happened the previous season.

Certainly doesn't feel like 30 years ago .

Remember big miko scoring for us and the East enclosure near to the tunnel being particularly crazy that day .

Anyone else in there that day ?
Yes, was in the East enclosure. FF fanzine had a picture on the front cover and a fold out poster inside, can clearly see me in both. Still have both tucked away.

Certainly doesn't feel like 30 years ago .

Remember big miko scoring for us and the East enclosure near to the tunnel being particularly crazy that day .

Anyone else in there that day ?
Was in there that day, can remember it like yesterday
Was devasted that day, I still sit where I used to stand

8 defeats and 14 draws. We were up against very little at the time. Celtic were a basket case and Aberdeen had fallen away quite dramatically compared to the team they had a few years earlier.

Only 2 wins from the first 7 games. That 4-2 victory over Celtic was our only win over them in the league.

Despite being on the verge of back to back trebles we were really poor, especially after what had happened the previous season.
Motherwell for that season and the following were our nearest challengers for the league.

Going out of Europe to Levski Sofia ripped the heart out of that season especially after what we had done the season before.

Lowest point apart from that was going down 3 nil to Dundee United at home after 20 mins. The atmosphere was toxic not far off Beale's last game this season.

Motherwell for that season and the following were our nearest challengers for the league.

Going out of Europe to Levski Sofia ripped the heart out of that season especially after what we had done the season before.

Lowest point apart from that was going down 3 nil to Dundee United at home after 20 mins. The atmosphere was toxic not far off Beale's last game this season.

There was a thread on that Levski tie a couple months back. Completely blew it.

Am I right in saying Utd were 3-0 up after 20 odd minutes that day? Bowman scored after about 20 seconds I think.

I loved going to the East Enclosure as a kid - it was a safe place to stand and watch a game of football, and I have some great memories of the humour and singing that went on.

Turns out that a few people I’ve got to know as an adult used to stand a couple of metres away in the Enclosure as well.

That was the start of our horrible run at the end of the 93/94 season when we drew with them, clinched the league at Easter road courtesy of us and Motherwell losing.

We then lost at Killie with Mark Hateley being played as a sweeper at the back and trophy day a borefest in a nil nil draw with Dundee culmanating in the shitshow of a performance in losing the cup final to Dundee United.

Still angers me to this today the biggest chance to do a back to back treble because we did not turn up in the last few games of the season.
That Dundee United game was one of the worst I’ve ever attended. The players stopped playing after we won the league and couldn’t get themselves back up for the fight. We definitely took winning for granted then.

My first season ticket in there 1986 and im still there lol mentally challenged & big Euro games tend to be standing but it's not the same, still love it there though.

Back