49 years ago - our 35th Title - 1975 v Airdrie

mdingwall

Administrator

We were beaten 1-0 by Airdire. A terrible game. I was in the Centenary Stand with my dad, his pals and their kids.

I recall we had song sheets.

The trophy was paraded around the ground by John Greig in "a chariot".

A wonderful touch was the parading of all the old league pennants by a troupe of majorettes.

How it should be done!

It was great seeing the trophy being paraded by John in his chariot but the celebrations were definitely subdued due to the score. Nevertheless a pleasant time was had by myself and son.

My first game , 49 years where’s the time gone !!
My first game as well. Hence my username.
I remember having no idea what going to a football match would be like.
I seem to remember being a bit worried about the prospect of meeting Airdrie fans.
In the end didn’t see any.
From what I recall it pay on the gate.
First player I saw on the pitch warming up was Tommy McLean, the first Rangers player I’d ever seen.
Outside the ground was pretty terrifying for a 9 year old, loads of really heavy drinking going on.
Grown men pissing in the street prior to kick off.
Sat in the main stand, I’m sure we very nearly scored at one point and everyone around me were celebrating like mad.
Didn’t realise it hadn’t counted until after the game on the way home in the car.
Sounds ridiculous now, my mother (who wasn’t at the game) thought it hilarious that her husband and son had gone to the game and left thinking it was 1-1 when Rangers had actually lost.
For me personally this was the highlight of the 1970s.
Being football and Rangers obsessed it was always going to be.

At that time Leeds were my team, my best mates Dad took me along to this game, so my first Rangers game although I didn't start supporting Rangers til about 2 yrs later when my uncles took me home and away with them.

I remember it well, Big John lapping the pitch, Airdrie done the double on us that season winning the earlier game 4-3 at Broomfield

I was also at that game. Airdrie did the double over us that season beating us 4-3 at Broomfield IIRC
Correct I was at both matches, If my memory is correct it was an Airdrie player called McCann a rabid yahoo who ran amok against us at Broomfield.

One other memory of that day, Rangers fans singing a song I’ve not heard since then.
“Hooligan, hoolie, hoolie, hooligan, hooligan, hooligan” and repeat…
This has just come back to me in a flash of memory squirrelled away for many years.
Not sung in the stands but on the terrace.
Anyone recall this or am I just losing my beans

One other memory of that day, Rangers fans singing a song I’ve not heard since then.
“Hooligan, hoolie, hoolie, hooligan, hooligan, hooligan” and repeat…
This has just come back to me in a flash of memory squirrelled away for many years.
Not sung in the stands but on the terrace.
Anyone recall this or am I just losing my beans
See post 19 sung during the trouble on the terrace at that time.

I was there too taken by my brother,this was the first time as a 13 year I knew us to be champions Still get a bit emotional at Colin Stein's goal at Easter Road the day we clinched the league.
A vague memory I have is a Dutch guy (I think?),leading the singing etc on a stage in the centre circle.
Unless I've imagined that bit? :p

But we beat them in the cup, didn’t we?

I don't think so.

Without looking up and cheating, we lost to Aberdeen at Ibrox in the first rd, in a fog bound Ibrox in a replay. Rangers played in all white that night.

I'm sure we beat them 6-0 at the start of the following season in the LC sections, with Sandy Jardine scoring a hat trick.

We were beaten 1-0 by Airdire. A terrible game. I was in the Centenary Stand with my dad, his pals and their kids.

A wonderful touch was the parading of all the old league pennants by a troupe of majorettes.

How it should be done!

I was so pissed off that the programmes were sold out. Was in the main stand that game, hard to believe that was 49 years ago

I had a video years ago where John Greig talked about this game. Willie Waddell wanted a story ran in the papers in the build-up to the Saturday that a big mystery female Hollywood star would be taking the kick-off and insisted to JG that he should go out on to the pitch dressed as this woman then, with everyone wondering who it was, he'd take off the wig and dress (!) to reveal it was really The Legend and it would all be front page news (I bet it would!). Not surprisingly Greig refused, despite being asked numerous times, and Waddell was in a right huff with him. The compromise was riding round Ibrox on the back of that horse and cart waving to the crowd, which still mortified him apparently. Imaging if Waddell had got his way :))

Airdrie played in the Scottish Cup Final the following week btw.

I don't think so.

Without looking up and cheating, we lost to Aberdeen at Ibrox in the first rd, in a fog bound Ibrox in a replay. Rangers played in all white that night.

I'm sure we beat them 6-0 at the start of the following season in the LC sections, with Sandy Jardine scoring a hat trick.
I was also at both these games. Was the League Cup Section game 6-1 to Rangers

Amazing how this was the first Rangers game for many of us.
8 years old, behind the Copeland Road goal, still have the programme.

I was there with my Dad and his pals. I remember the song sheets and being in the Broomloan end. It was the only time I was in that end, other than my last game with my pals, before moving to America in 1979.

How it should be done!

Exactly how I remember it. Also in the Centenary stand. Remember quite a bit of trouble in the Rangers end. This was the first title that I remembered. It was a long wait.

I don't think so.

Aye, I corrected myself. I remember Bobby McKean’s diving header in the Aberdeen game.

I had a video years ago where John Greig talked about this game. Willie Waddell wanted a story ran in the papers in the build-up to the Saturday that a big mystery female Hollywood star would be taking the kick-off and insisted to JG that he should go out on to the pitch dressed as this woman then, with everyone wondering who it was, he'd take off the wig and dress (!) to reveal it was really The Legend and it would all be front page news (I bet it would!). Not surprisingly Greig refused, despite being asked numerous times, and Waddell was in a right huff with him. The compromise was riding round Ibrox on the back of that horse and cart waving to the crowd, which still mortified him apparently. Imaging if Waddell had got his way :))
Raquel Welsh going round Ibrox in a nag drawn chariot whilst hoisting the league championship trophy?

“Well, that’s something you definitely don’t see every . . . ah, no, it’s John Greig in a wig.”

• Haha
Reactions: ao2
Also at both games, lost 4- 3 just before Christmas at Broomfield.
They also beat them at Broomfield that season.

image1.jpg

I don't think so.

The only 6 goal game v Dolly I can remember was 6-0 or 6-1 in the 77/78 LC knock out rounds. We lost the return leg at Pittodrie 1-3. We played them 7 times that season, I was at all off them apart from the 6 goal thrashing at Ibrox :-(

Back