A good start on Saturday is a must!

Big D

Looking at our games against them over the past 3 seasons and the way we've started games is pretty sobering.

Since August 2021 we've played them 14 times in league and cup. Here are some stats.

* They've scored inside 10 minutes 5 times (more than 1 in 3) ....... and 3 of those goals were inside the first 5 minutes

* Last time we scored first in a fixture with more than pride at stake, was 3/4/22 (10 games ago). We went ahead in the 3rd minute. They equalised in the 7th!

* We've only made it to half time without conceding at least one goal 3 times in those 14 games and again the last time, in a truly meaningful fixture, was over 2 years ago.

That must surely be some sort of mental block? And so many of the goals have been totally self-inflicted, due to the most basic of schoolboy errors. If we're to win this on Saturday, we need to be in their faces and totally switched on from the first whistle. Because recent history tells us they certainly will be! We can't just ease our way in for 20 - 30 mins. And we absolutely need to score first. Make them do the chasing for once.

Looking at our games against them over the past 3 seasons and the way we've started games is pretty sobering.

Since August 2021 we've played them 14 times in league and cup. Here are some stats.

* They've scored inside 10 minutes 5 times (more than 1 in 3) ....... and 3 of those goals were inside the first 5 minutes

* Last time we scored first in a fixture with more than pride at stake, was 3/4/22 (10 games ago). We went ahead in the 3rd minute. They equalised in the 7th!

* We've only made it to half time without conceding at least one goal 3 times in those 14 games and again the last time, in a truly meaningful fixture, was over 2 years ago.

That must surely be some sort of mental block? And so many of the goals have been totally self-inflicted, due to the most basic of schoolboy errors. If we're to win this on Saturday, we need to be in their faces and totally switched on from the first whistle. Because recent history tells us they certainly will be! We can't just ease our way in for 20 - 30 mins. And we absolutely need to score first. Make them do the chasing for once.
Quite agree - up to the Backroom Staff to motivate the Team from the beginning - not that they should need motivating

100% OP. Said this on another thread. Don't concede early and we will win this game. Defence (and whole team) needs to be switched on from 1st minute.

Those stats are grim reading. The longer the game goes on without them scoring the more restless the fans will get and the pressure will be on them They aren't a great side and shouldn't be allowed to have it easy like the majority of games played at the piggery in recent times.

Those stats are grim reading. The longer the game goes on without them scoring the more restless the fans will get and the pressure will be on them They aren't a great side and shouldn't be allowed to have it easy like the majority of games played at the piggery in recent times.
Not relevant here, because our fans wont be in evidence particularly.

Get to half time without conceding on Saturday, whether we manage to score or not, and the native will begin to get restless. The more pressure on them from the crowd, the better for us.
stay in the game.the last couple of times we have went there,we have got back in the game through tav scoring and they go into panic mode.

OP is of course correct, but when’s the last time we got off to a flying start? Hearts in the 5-0 game?

Exactly if you was to look at those goals how many are we cut open and how many handed it to those cunts

I don't get the whole "game that mattered" chat.

Celtic fan propaganda

The statistics are stark enough without adding subjective nonsense qualifiers.

Every old firm matters

Our recent stats are shite even without emotive bs qualifying statements about certain games

Last edited:
Must make a good, or at least not make a bad, start on Saturday.

If we lose another early goal I fear we'll collapse. Keeping it tight for half an hour, and frustrating the crowd will be huge for us.

The atmosphere will be toxic at kick off so we have to neutralise it.

The problem is we often give up early chances and I'm not sure we're good enough to sit in and absorb pressure for say 20 mins before we get our own game going.

Obviously ideally we also score first and early to shut them up, but we need to take our time and take the sting out the game early. Go down when challenged, take out time with set pieces etc.

Celtic fan propaganda

Every old firm matters

Are recent stats are shite even without emotive bs qualifying statements about certain games
Winning games where the points will have an outcome on the league or qualification to the next round of a cup is entirely different from a game where those things are not at stake.

The distinction is clearly important.

When was the last time we went ahead at the piggery? Under Gerrard during lockdown?

That on top of our recent form of giving away a chance within seconds/minutes due to some sort of defensive horrorshow means we really need to see improvement on Saturday.

Celtic fan propaganda

Every old firm matters

Are recent stats are shite even without emotive bs qualifying statements about certain games
It mattered plenty in terms of pride, as every game does. In terms of league position or cup competition, it was irrelevant. That's not subjective or emotive. It's plain irrefutable fact.

Grim stats. Add in the fact that in the last 6 games or so we have gifted chances/goals in the opening stages of games so easily doesn't give the confidence much hope! A huge improvement required

I wouldn't even say its the old firm games we have started badly in. Its a common factor for us. We continually give up the first big chance of a game. At one point there, we were continually conceding the first goal to everyone.

Ours players just don't seem to get truly motivated until we are a goal down. Now with most teams in our league we can probably claw that back, but against them its very different

Last edited:
It seems bleedingly obvious but it's absolutely true.

I'm sure most fans will be totally up for it by kick off. However if we concede an early (especially a nonsense one) goal even the most optimistic will struggle to shake that sinking feeling. Unfortunately it will most probably be the same for the players as well.

I really think we can do it but scoring first has to be part of how it comes together.

There's definitely a mental block but we've also been tactically inept

We've tended to play into their hands for the opening 20 minutes of these games. Allowing space, vacating the midfield, being too open, allowing them to press high and play through our midfield too easy. We've tried to go toe-to-toe when the better approach is sit back and frustrate, Walter-style, for at least the first 30 mins. OF games are 90 minutes, not 20.

I'm confident Clement is aware of this and will set up differently on Saturday

Those are awful stats and back up why there isn’t much confidence going into the weekend.

Clement needs to quickly get their number. SG managed it quickly with smaller budget and less experience.
Gerrard developed an utter disdain for them early doors and we had a group of players that also despised them, Arfield, Kent, Alfie, Shagger, Halliday, Jack, Davo etc
You need this in any Rangers team then the rest of the squad buy into it.
We need this mentality back

I appreciate the OP finding these stats, and my comments are not a dig at you.

As fans, we know a good/fast start is vitally important. No doubt the players know this too. But will they actually do it? I'm not holding my breath.

We are generally poor from kickoffs, whether at start, half time or after scoring or conceding, we are usually ropey for 5/10 minutes, been like that for ages

Quite agree - up to the Backroom Staff to motivate the Team from the beginning - not that they should need motivating
More imprtantly....it's up to the captain to show the proper fighting mentality on the pitch ,to get into their faces from the start and drive us on.

They start every game against us there at 100 miles an hour. But most times we look as if it’s a new thing and we don’t look prepared.
We’re in the last chance saloon so it’s time to change the mindset.

Last edited:
What we need is better players than they have and then things may improve.
A good start is imperative but not sure our players can handle it .I live in hope.

We need to get in about them before the first whistle. Whatever dirty tricks we can do to get in their head whether in the warm up or dressing rooms.

I'd love to see one of the subs like Wright or something take a hit for the team and barge his way into the middle of the huddle. Throw their concentration right off.

If we kick off the game in the first half I hope we just go long and put pressure on their full backs straight away. We always go back and give them the chance to put us under pressure. Always seems to set the tone for the match in my opinion.

Getting the 1st goal would be nice for a change as the stats show.

We always end up chasing which leaves us exposed on the counter. Particularly bad given the pace of Maeda / Kyogo exploits spaces left at the back

They aren't the best, that gives me more hope than pinning expectations on our players to perform as a team like Betis away. They have the measure of us, like it or lump it, we have to perform like we haven't done in a while. A big ask but there's hope, it just feels like it's beyond this group. Anyway f#k that defeatist p##h, C'mon Rangers.

They don't need to win , we need to win to at least have a chance . There's no pressure on them a draw suits them.
The history is diabolical and embarrassing tbh. I'm sure I'm not alone when all I ask is not to just give it to them like we always seem to .

Back