A non-negative thread on John Lundstram

agentcooper

Reading the other thread on negativity got me thinking about the current hostility towards Lundstram.

First off, the guy had a cataclysmic game at the weekend. Scored a clumsy own goal, then, possibly in trying to make up for it, dived into a stupid challenge to pick up a red.

As a result, he is hate figure number 1. I wasn't exactly singing his praises at the weekend (!), but I am continually amazed at how fickle our fans are, and how players are judged only on their last game. We haven't lost this league because of his red card, we lost it due to the collective failure of the team to win games in the run-in.

Lundstram, over the piece, has been a decent signing. He's a streaky player, who at times has looked great - he often gave strength to the team and could dominate midfield. At other times he's looked ponderous and can slow the game down too much. Overall, it's probably a good time to part ways.

But he'll leave with my best wishes. Some great moments in his career here and I wish him well going forward.

We should all feel angry at the capitulation in the league. But if we list the key reasons as to why we've lost it, John Lundstram would be pretty far down the list. Certainly well below appalling recruitment, poor managerial appointments and ridiculous injury/fitness issues.

Do we need better? Yes. But I think the guy has been a decent player and deserves a positive send off.

(OK...now haters assemble. :)) )

I’m of a similar mind, have felt sorry for the guy in the aftermath. People saying he’s downed tools, I don’t think he has - he’s just been out of form and is far from the only one. Wish him all the best, the best move for both to call it a day.

Reading the other thread on negativity got me thinking about the current hostility towards Lundstram.

First off, the guy had a cataclysmic game at the weekend. Scored a clumsy own goal, then, possibly in trying to make up for it, dived into a stupid challenge to pick up a red.

As a result, he is hate figure number 1. I wasn't exactly singing his praises at the weekend (!), but I am continually amazed at how fickle our fans are, and how players are judged only on their last game. We haven't lost this league because of his red card, we lost it due to the collective failure of the team to win games in the run-in.

Lundstram, over the piece, has been a decent signing. He's a streaky player, who at times has looked great - he often gave strength to the team and could dominate midfield. At other times he's looked ponderous and can slow the game down too much. Overall, it's probably a good time to part ways.

But he'll leave with my best wishes. Some great moments in his career here and I wish him well going forward.

We should all feel angry at the capitulation in the league. But if we list the key reasons as to why we've lost it, John Lundstram would be pretty far down the list. Certainly well below appalling recruitment, poor managerial appointments and ridiculous injury/fitness issues.

Do we need better? Yes. But I think the guy has been a decent player and deserves a positive send off.

Excellent post and very fair.

No doubt you'll be getting pelters from several on here. Unjustly so.

I don’t think we’re hostile towards him.
Pointing out and being heavily critical of him downing tools and his dreadful performances, yes.
No way are we hostile towards him as your pointing out.

His time at Ibrox should come to a conclusion and he moves on.
I don’t blame him individually for our capitulation but he along with several others are no longer what we need to progress

As much as I hate how negative we are as a bunch, and I appreciate Lundstram trying his best... He did get handsomely paid for his efforts and the privilege of playing for Rangers comes with the expectation of winning league trophies. Given even our legends like McCoist get flack, you're picking the wrong hill to die on with "lunny" .

I doubt he'll get heckled on the street or in a pub if the average bear bumps into him, but I can't see him hosting "a night with lunny and namdi" in 20 years.

I'm sorry but him more or less downing tools at the end of March when he knew he would be leaving has had a huge impact in us losing the title, we should have known he'd be like this look at him at Sheffield Utd he can bolt in my eyes.
Since the manager came in he had been the player to flourish the most and his driving midfield play was a major factor in us being back in a title race!!

The re writing of history you get in this place is off the charts at times

He's never been a #6 yet he's consistently been deployed there. I'm still yet to understand where best he'd fit in at Rangers until you come to the conclusion that, over the piece he's never been good enough to be part of a title winning Rangers side.

In fairness, few have over the last 5 years.

Everything that's wrong with our club just now, fans just happy with average signings who play well now and again and think that's acceptable.

He is nowhere near the level we need and no he hasn't been a good signing.
Years of failure have brainwashed some of our fans into thinking serial losers and bottle merchants should be revered as great servants to the club.

The paradox of Lundstram is that if he was the useless bastard people paint him as when we see the bad side of him, we would not have the memories of the run to Seville, and this league season might have ended in extreme humiliation by March. Lundstram was critical to getting us to Seville, and he has been one of our better players across the season since Clement arrived.

The problem is that outside of the European run and the Scottish Cup semi in 2022, Lundstram has lacked the ability to sustain his level of performance and really take it up a level when it matters. We have a team woefully short on leaders and players capable of consistently performing to even a 7/10 level regularly, and when Lundstram's form goes through the floor, invariably there is absolutely nobody to stand up and take charge. We don't need to be forgiving or understanding of his recent failings - he has seemed checked out and Saturday was simply awful and entirely on Lundstram himself. However, there is also the question of why we are still having to rely on a player whose head has left the building.

“He’s been a decent signing” is both an accurate statement and a reason as to why we are in the state we are in right now.

We need better than “decent signings” to be consistently successful.

Lundstram played a huge part in that Europa run no doub, but largely has looked every bit the sheff utd level player we signed.

He’d be a squad player for Celtic at best, and he’s a mainstay for us.

30k plus a week.

No, I’m sorry but he doesn’t get a pass for turning in that sort of performance.

Him & the other losers in the “leadership” group need culled.

I'm sorry but him more or less downing tools at the end of March when he knew he would be leaving has had a huge impact in us losing the title, we should have known he'd be like this look at him at Sheffield Utd he can bolt in my eyes.
he should have been dropped insta at this point. Manager stuck with him for some reason only known to him. Its has cost us dearly.

When we've played him as a box to box midfielder he's been generally good, but I think we've kept trying to pigeon hole him as a sitting defensive midfielder and that has done neither him nor us any favours.

I’m just happy that there’s a chance between the new DoF and Clement that we will get better for 35k a week tbh.

Garbage more often than not. Chucked it in more games than I can remember and downed tools under three different managers, including this season when we were in a title race.

A terrible singing.

The filth players were running rings around him on Saturday, even before his 2 fĹ­ck ups.

He's been awful for weeks.

Won't miss him.

Fair post OP.

As always, opinions are often extreme and emotional, usually based on recent games alone.

The fact is, he has played very well for big parts of the season, but he has been running on fumes now for months. As with Tav and Goldson, he needed rotated some time ago. Problem being, we need to win every game and the manager clearly did not have enough trust in the squad replacements to do so.

It wasnt just his performance against the mentally challengeds. He seems to have switched off the longer his contract is unsettled

I enjoyed his period on the europa league run. Maybe enjoyed his song more.

He is a very basic midfielder. But his leadership and our lack of options gave him a platform.

His 3 or 4 touches and slowing down the game will not be misses.

Remember, it was Gerrard who signed him and he didn't even really rate him as it was only when gio came that he become a regular

I'll try and educate the OP.
Rangers supporters are absolutely burst with these constant defeats and pathetic performances against Celtic.
Bar one game Lundstram is a serial loser against them and reserves his worst games and invisible man impressions against them as we get beat time after time.
Last Saturday he really blew the ship out of the water.

Back