A young George Best

Georgie achieved world greatness despite not having the international team achievements that others were lucky enough to have been afforded.

The fact that Best achieved the status of world great as a Northen Irish lad makes it more remarkable than others that have that status. I heard Jimmy Niicol make this point and it is hard to argue against.

The top footballer in my lifetime.

When you think back it was different times and things were quite strict and conforming. This lad came like a breath of fresh air, he had what every man in the country would want.
Looks, best footballer, stunning women. He had the lot for a while.
A star.

giphy.gif
A middle aged George Best

The hotel porter who went into Bests room where he is lying with Miss World both naked in a bed covered in champagne bottles and saying, “where did it all go wrong George,where did it all go wrong”. It didn’t. That’s how we all want to live.

I always think of Gazza when I see George Best and vice versa.
Two world class players that could have got a lot more out of the game
Not a bad existence tbf.

Would you trade his 59 years for 75 of anonymity?
its no fun with a f ucked liver mate.

There’s a certain trait with a lot of working class Ulster folk that they can be quiet and shy externally, but have that bit of fire and devilment not far from the surface. You look at Best and Alex Higgins, I can certainly think of a few of my own family too.
As the quote goes, the candle that shines twice as bright burns half as long.

There’s a certain trait with a lot of working class Ulster folk that they can be quiet and shy externally, but have that bit of fire and devilment not far from the surface. You look at Best and Alex Higgins, I can certainly think of a few of my own family too.
You could see his class when he played gor hibs even although he was nearly finished he still had the flicks and tricks one of the best ever yo come out of the U K

Think the Scots and Ulster Scots have that in them. Sometimes when the bevvy comes out the fireworks start too.
They went to America and took that with them too.

Like the great man said they’ll forget all the other stuff and remember the football a fantastic footballer nothing quite like George Best gliding past defenders and scoring with ease it was a beautiful game when George was on the pitch.

A coiple of wee things about George. When he first played in United's first team he was in digs in a Coronation Street style house and he used to park his gold Rolls Royce outside it. One if his favourite tricks was when he was being jockied by a defender he would try and play the ball of his standing leg. Of course the defender would try to play it with his non standing foot and would get himself into a fankle.

Wonderful player,terrible bloody illness played for Man Utd but never played for the club he truly loved.
If only.

George Best was 13 minutes away from gracing the 1966 World Cup in England for Northern Ireland (NI).

After beating Netherlands, Switzerland and Albania at Windsor Park in the group and getting an away draw in Netherlands, NI needed a win in Albania in the last match to top the group by 9 points. Swiss had already played their last match and had 9 points but they had an inferior 'goal for scored' which was the deciding factor then.

NI were ahead by an early goal until Albania equalised in the 77th minute. Cue a draw and NI out.

What a 1966 World Cup that would been with George Best playing for Northern Ireland! I was about 10 years old with all the English hype about the 66 World Cup build up, to say I was disappointed would be an understatement.

Switzerland would come back to haunt NI in final/play off qualifiers more recently with the almost worst of dodgy refereeing decisions.

Last edited:
I was a young boy in the crowd behind the goal that day.
I was at the other end in the old Spion Kip.

The referee said he disallowed the goal because he’d never seen that done before.
There was still a crowd for an hour or so after the game waiting for him to discuss his decision.
Potentially a very dangerous situation. People were getting shot for far less in those days in Belfast.

Mum was at school with him, shared the same bus as well, very quiet but polite apparently.
My cousin is married to George's sister and he helped organise the funeral. George was a lovely guy but painfully shy when he went over to Manchester as a kid with Eric McMordie. I think they both came back home due to homesickness but Matt Busby came over and persuaded them to give it another go. I think he started drinking to overcome the shyness.

Interesting theory, which I haven’t heard before.

Not to be too deep, but that’s a nice wee saying that mate. I can relate to that. Sorry pal

I always think of Gazza when I see George Best and vice versa.
Two world class players that could have got a lot more out of the game.
The only two footballer's Autobiographies I have ever read.

Both troubled geniuses, although Best was a bit before my time.

Back