Academy player Wilson

We did, the deal was illegal and both clubs penalised. We were fined, Chelsea got their transfer ban.

Chelsea gave us a very good deal, all things considered.

-£500k up front
-£250k when he made his debut
-15% sell on fee

and a couple of other things.
That’ll be as much as we’ve received from a transfer fee at this point, post admin.

I remember Leon king knocking back similar approaches . If he doesn’t make it at Rangers he may regret that in the future .

I live near hull there was this young player I knew of who was about 15 and knocking them in for hull city academy .

Reading offered about £100k to take him away whilst still a schoolboy as Hull had a poor academy .

He went down there and was scholar of the year at about 18 and knocking them in for reserves . Was playing for Scotland under 19s when Ricky Sabrigia was involved . Model girlfriend all over insta .

Got bombed by Reading and went to Brighton where also never got a look in . Now in non league via Grimsby at about 24/25.

Sometimes you can’t argue with the possibility of taking it while you can .

Get him signed

The thing that annoys me is we will be constantly accused of not brining through our own academy talent (Nathan Patterson excepted) but what can you do when they are being snatched away by clubs in England like Chelsea and Billy Gilmour.
There's not much we can when the kid is 15 as we can't sign him up professionally until he's 16. Clubs down south will be throwing life changing money and incentives towards his family to get him go down there which we can't compete with.

The club could do more though to show there's a pathway to the first team. Patterson is a recent example but he only got his chance due to how poor Balogun was in 2 matches last season in that position. I genuinely think had Balogun performed better we wouldn't have saw Patterson at all last season. Flip it the other way for someone like Stephen Kelly does really well in his pre-season matches when given the opportunity yet he's not even involved now or playing at all.

As much as I love Rangers I'd hate to be an academy player at us as your more likely to get a shot at Chelsea or the likes than you would here,so I don't blame them for wanting to move as you only have a short career.
10 or 15 years isn't a short career these days. (In the same profession).

That's not at all the case
Of course it is. Chelsea or most other teams lose a game or draw one and it's ach well on to the next one and you know what it's like if we draw or lose. With the expectation so high I can see why it's difficult for our gaffer to take a chance in the younger players.

Of course it is. Chelsea or most other teams lose a game or draw one and it's ach well on to the next one and you know what it's like if we draw or lose. With the expectation so high I can see why it's difficult for our gaffer to take a chance in the younger players.
That's absolute rubbish, any player good enough to play for Chelsea would be in the Rangers team much sooner. The gap in quality is pretty massive. We'd have been playing Gilmour before Chelsea did too. What player who has gone on to be a success elsewhere, didn't we give a chance to when they were good enough?

It is annoying when good youngsters leave, they need to change the rules so that clubs who develop players get far more compensation when their good youngsters get poached by much richer clubs. It is scandalous how little Chelsea had to pay us for Gilmour.

It almost feels like there is no point having an academy, it must cost a lot of money to run and there is very little benefit from it. But I guess if we get a huge fee for Patterson the academy will have more than paid of itself just by developing him.

But part of me has sympathy with the players leaving because we hardly ever play youth players, if he stayed here he would probably sit on the bench or get loaned out to a rubbish SPL team and his career will stagnate.

The law needs changed. It’s not acceptable for us to miss out on large fees from the players farms south of the border. Disgusting.

Back