Academy players who never quite made it

Ryan Hardie and Kal Naismith have made a decent career for themselves in England.

Often thought of you were good enough for Hibs or Motherwell say why you wouldn’t try for a move to the English lower leagues.

Yeah mate that does ring a bell. I didn’t know he was Thomsons cousin tho. Nice wee link there
Steven MacLean scored 20 one season for Sheffield Wednesday and he got a few goals for Cardiff as well I think. Both MacLean and Thomson went to school in Peebles (like me) but don’t remember them being related. Both were good guys and deserved the careers they got. Another wee Rangers link, our now Director of Football Operations Creag Robertson was in the same school football team as them.

He looked excellent when he came through.

Unsure of the timing but think Ryan Hardie would have been excellent coming through.

Hardie would have been good for us through the league returns, definitely.

McPake looked excellent - sounds like he’s got a bad attitude.

From the days before Academies were invented, there were a few "brilliant youngsters in the reserves" who we expected great things but it didn't happen.

Derek Strickland, Steve Richardson, Scott Fraser, Robert Clark, Dougie Robertson, Kenny Lyall and John Morrow are names from the late 70s through to the early 90s that spring to mind.

From the days before Academies were invented, there were a few "brilliant youngsters in the reserves" who we expected great things but it didn't happen.

Derek Strickland, Steve Richardson, Scott Fraser, Robert Clark, Dougie Robertson, Kenny Lyall and John Morrow are names from the late 70s through to the early 90s that spring to mind.
going back earlier again to the start of the 70s, Iain Mcdonald was someone we thought could have been special, but a cruel injury curtailed his Rangers career and we never got to see what he could have become

going back earlier again to the start of the 70s, Iain Mcdonald was someone we thought could have been special, but a cruel injury curtailed his Rangers career and we never got to see what he could have become
I think it was a Hibs player called Shevlane who wrecked McDonald's knee with a shocker of a tackle?

I doubt Rangers will ever get this right, which is a shame as we need something in place for our future well being.

One thing we definitely need is a couple of Scottish lads in our team. Oh for an Ian Durrant, Ian Ferguson, John Brown or a Barry Ferguson.
When you think back to the likes of Durrant and both Ferguson brothers coming through, Robert Fleck too to some extent, it was pretty much expected back then that we would have homegrown players in our team.

The last time this happened to any notable degree was about twenty years ago when the likes of Hutton, Adam and McGregor came through.

Our inability to produce players of that kind of level since is a bigger concern than it ever really seems to get spoken about.

There’s been a lot of initial hubbub surrounding guys like Ross McCrorie, Alex Lowry and Bailey Rice, but it never seems to be sustained.

Stephen Dobbie. 2 promotions to the premiership and scored a lot of senior goals. Similar to Hardy, in that you wonder if we had a wee bit more patience and we had time (we don’t) how would these guys have developed. I’d love us to produce a home grown centre forward.

Did he have a brother called Graeme, may have been in the reserves under Souness? John Morrow was incredibly promising, but a challenge by Souness in training injured him (broken leg?) and he never came back the same.

The disturbing thing to me is since Robert Fleck we have not produced one 20 plus season top flight striker, absolute disgrace and makes me wonder what is going on.

Honestly think we should just bin the academy, save the money - buy the best young players in Scotland and loan them out to teams to play regular “high level” football - probably easier to sell them also

Always remember Scot Fraser, was on my 84/85 season team poster.

Maybe 85/86.

Ryan Hardie scored a lot for the youths, but never grasped the chance with us.

Decent career down in Plymouth, but had high hopes for him.

Robbie Crawford was always highest in terms of fitness and thought he might have had a chance also.
Hardie was a cool finisher when in the youths (he still shows that now) but looked lost when given his debut v Dumbarton (I think).

He’s doing well at Plymouth without being undroppable - they have a good front line & rotate quite a lot.

Am not sure he can go any higher than the Championship but would imagine he’s pretty happy with his career so far.

I’m still waiting for the talented Alex Lowry.:(
Lowry is a gifted player mate, no doubt about it. I guess am one of a diminishing band that thinks he could still make it with us.

We’ve all heard the tales about his approach & I have no clue whether any of it is true.

I maintain that Beale’s ridiculous comment about “would your team mates pick you” did Lowry no good whatsoever - no way would he have said that about any of the senior players, despite their many individual faults.

I would like to think a new season gives him an opportunity to impress Clement, but I accept he’s running out of time.

Honestly think we should just bin the academy, save the money - buy the best young players in Scotland and loan them out to teams to play regular “high level” football - probably easier to sell them also
Not an option.
An academy is required for a European licence unless you also want to ditch European football and with it the prospect of attracting anyone vaguely decent.

Lowry is a gifted player mate, no doubt about it. I guess am one of a diminishing band that thinks he could still make it with us.

We’ve all heard the tales about his approach & I have no clue whether any of it is true.

I maintain that Beale’s ridiculous comment about “would your team mates pick you” did Lowry no good whatsoever - no way would he have said that about any of the senior players, despite their many individual faults.

I would like to think a new season gives him an opportunity to impress Clement, but I accept he’s running out of time.
I’m in the same boat as you BG.

Dean Furman
Dean Furman at least made a living out of the game if not spectacular.

On the other hand, I confidently predicted Ross Perry was going to be a star after watching the young bears maul the beast juniors in a youth cup final.

I know a player when I see one.

John Morrow, seen his debut at Mcdairmid park and he was fantastic, thought we had real player on our hands but sadly never done much after that.

Sandy Robertson looked the real deal in 90/91 when he rounded Bonner to set up Hateley to score against the filth and he scored that crucial goal at Love street in the title run in.

I think he enjoyed the Glasgow nightlife a bit too much and got involved in a couple of scrapes. I think he was let go and never heard off again.

John Spencer and Gary McSwegan were both decent prospects but were never going to get into the 1st team ahead of McCoist and Hateley although Spencer did have a decent career at Chelsea and McSwegan as well with Hearts.

Having been a teenager when we were climbing up the Leagues, and being put in a position where we had to promote Youth players such as Hegarty, Aird, McKay, who are some players we promoted from the academy, that in your opinion, never lived up to their potential?

Aird and McKay technically never came through our Academy.

We made a complete mess of coming back up through the divisions in all honesty. We should’ve been concentrating on buying and playing youth instead of journeyman from all corners of the world.

Andy Robertson had been released by celtic for not being big/good enough. I appreciate he is bitter now but he’ll not be the first to grow up supporting one but played for the other. A disillusioned teenager with dreams of only being a professional footballer. A question should have been asked.

Our academy has produced some great careers, almost none of them for any period of time with us, beyond the initial promise.

The few year span of:

Mo Ross
Stephen Hughes
McCormack
Burke
Hutton
Adam

And to a lesser extent:

Steven Smith
Alan Lowing
Bob Davidson
Graham Smith
Brian McLean

Overall the first team return on the academy investment over 20 years has been atrocious.
Stef Hughes was labouring on a building site I worked on a few years ago.

Hardie was a cool finisher when in the youths (he still shows that now) but looked lost when given his debut v Dumbarton (I think).

He’s doing well at Plymouth without being undroppable - they have a good front line & rotate quite a lot.

Am not sure he can go any higher than the Championship but would imagine he’s pretty happy with his career so far.
Scored v Dumbarton.

Few names from the 90’s the spring to mind would be Michael Rae, Darren Fitzgerald, Brian McGinty, Chris Jardine, Ross Milligan, Lee Dair, Peter McDonald, Steven Boyack, Greig Shields, Jazz Juttla.

From the dark days, Tom Walsh, Billy King, Lewis McLeod. Pretty sure Nicky Clark was an academy player at one time.
Billy King ? The player who was on loan for 6 months from Hearts ?

Jamie Barjonas was a very strange one, maybe just wasn’t good enough for us but his move to Kielty was bizarre at the time and now at Hamilton, just seems a total waste of talent.

Darren Cole was another who just totally wasted himself.

The disturbing thing to me is since Robert Fleck we have not produced one 20 plus season top flight striker, absolute disgrace and makes me wonder what is going on.
Anyone is anyone or going to be anyone now goes down south much earlier on.

See Rory Wilson for example. He’s just signed a long term deal at Villa and is impressing.

The days of us producing and keeping a top youth prospect is gone unfortunately

Few names from the 90’s the spring to mind would be Michael Rae, Darren Fitzgerald, Brian McGinty, Chris Jardine, Ross Milligan, Lee Dair, Peter McDonald, Steven Boyack, Greig Shields, Jazz Juttla.

From the dark days, Tom Walsh, Billy King, Lewis McLeod. Pretty sure Nicky Clark was an academy player at one time.
Someone who our team should have been built around coming back up through the leagues. A very talented boy who injuries absolutely ruined.

Good to see him back at club now coaching.

Can never get my head round letting Hemmings go. I was young though so may have missed something!

Iirc he was injured for a good chunk of the 3rd division season but we ended up loaning him out to a higher division where he scored for fun. Then obviously left on a permanent deal to a better league and continued to score!
According to Hemmings himself he let himself down at Rangers due to nerves. The manager believed in him but he was a bag of nerves every time he got a chance.

Derek Strickland is a family friend. Jock Wallace took him to Leicester from Ibrox.

Jamie Barjonas was a very strange one, maybe just wasn’t good enough for us but his move to Kielty was bizarre at the time and now at Hamilton, just seems a total waste of talent.

Darren Cole was another who just totally wasted himself.
Darren Cole was (is) an absolute throbber.

Kirk Willoughby , thought he had a great chance, then he disappeared off the map.

I have seen Josh Mcpake quite a bit recently for Stirling Albion and he is head and shoulders above league 1/2. Murray Miller also played for the Albion for around 6 months before leaving for Stranraer, another who looked good on the ball but it just didn't work out for him unfortunately.

Back