Alex Rae appointed Paul Ince assistant at Reading

I like Alex gave 100% every game for us.

I won’t miss his catch phrase “ ball across the face” . Standing joke with me and my son to see how long it takes. Last game he nearly never said it then said “ goalie was expecting the ball across the face”

FORMER Rangers star Alex Rae is back in football - as assistant manager to interim Reading boss Paul Ince.

The former Man Utd, Liverpool, West Ham and England star has taken over the reins after the departure of Veljko Paunovic.

Former Dundee and St Mirren boss Rae has worked with him previously with MK Dons and Blackpool - after playing together at Wolves.

And now the pair are reunited at the Majedski Stadium.

The former Dundee and St. Mirren manager is well known to Interim Manager Ince, after they played together in midfield for Wolves from 2002 to 2004.

This isn't the first time Ince and Rae will have worked together as management staff either, Rae assisted the former-England captain during his time as boss of Blackpool during the 2013-14 season.

A Scottish Premier League winner with the Gers in 2005, Rae was twice promoted from England's First Division with Sunderland and Wolves
No way !!!!! B-D

That will surely mean McCoist on co-commentary this Thursday.

Are the people who are giving AR a hard time, in spite of his obvious lifelong allegiance and service (with some notable success) the same folks who give other ex players a hard time for not playing the ultra, pro Rangers angle?
Alex Rae was a fan with a microphone, who, while not quite the Oscar Wilde of punditry, was at least on our side.
Folks on here are lumping him in with Gordon Dullyell, Steven Thompson and Richard Foster.

Good luck Alex Rae.

Why on Earth any team would take Ince on as manager is beyond me. Was woeful at Blackburn, Notts County and Blackpool and hasn’t managed in the best part of a decade.

Totally agree - a very weird appointment

I think him he'll be on a hiding to nothing
anyway - so AR will probably be back commentating (in his own style) again soon

Congratulations to him - done a lot on the charity side as well for various causes, had some success early in his coaching career - im sure will be up for the challenge.

Are the people who are giving AR a hard time, in spite of his obvious lifelong allegiance and service (with some notable success) the same folks who give other ex players a hard time for not playing the ultra, pro Rangers angle?
Alex Rae was a fan with a microphone, who, while not quite the Oscar Wilde of punditry, was at least on our side.
Folks on here are lumping him in with Gordon Dullyell, Steven Thompson and Richard Foster.

Good luck Alex Rae.
If you take Snyde's coin, the same as The Record/Sunday Mail/Sun/Herald/Sunday Herald, BBC Scotland then you are fair game. They are filth propaganda outlets, no more no less.

If you take Snyde's coin, the same as The Record/Sunday Mail/Sun/Herald/Sunday Herald, BBC Scotland then you are fair game. They are filth propaganda outlets, no more no less.
Imagine the guy trying to make a living.
Is Brian Laudrup also to be tarnished with the 'filth propaganda outlets' brush?
Souness? DJ?
I don't envy you your life of hatred.

Good luck to him but it was annoying hearing him talking about “Big Ange” as if he was a long lost pal. Glad he got himself a good gig at Reading.

I’ve said it before on here. Until gerrard came up here he’s never said a high press low block or ‘minutes in the legs’ in his life.

Just get that feeling he piggybacks off a lot without forming his own opinions.

That’s my opinion anyway :)
To be fair, no one said things like "minutes in legs" or "dead rubber" until recently and now everyone says them.

As for Alex Rae, he comes across on commentary as if he doesn't really have a clue, tactically, so if this keeps him away from RTV - good!

D GWDL%win
TeamFromToRecord
24 May 2006​
20 October 2008​
18 December 2015​
18 September 2016​

For those like myself with no memory of his managerial career

D GWDL%win
TeamFromToRecord
24 May 2006​
20 October 2008​
18 December 2015​
18 September 2016​

For those like myself with no memory of his managerial career

"Well Emma I thought he picked up position between the lines really well and how he played the ball through the lines caused problems. Working that high overload really pushed the lines back"

Good luck Alex

Good luck to him, a real Rangers man… He was our manager, when me and all my mates payed a right few quid to play at Ibrox in a charity game, we were all late 30s/ early 40s playing against a team of early 20 year olds ffs , anyway was a fantastic experience, I was playing right back and I was short with a pass to him and one of the kids tried to half him lol …. He actually played with his Rolex on that night, just in case any of us blagged it from the dressing room lol ….

I’ve said it before on here. Until gerrard came up here he’s never said a high press low block or ‘minutes in the legs’ in his life.

Just get that feeling he piggybacks off a lot without forming his own opinions.

That’s my opinion anyway :)
You really are from the dark ages Terry

The burning question: whose gonna replace him on Super Scoreboard?
Doubt he'll be replaced they will probably just stick with Keevins, Wilson and Dalziel and have 1 less person in the studio like they do when he's been on RTV.

Not a huge fan of Alex Rae his punditry is terrible but good luck to him decent start last night for them.

Back