Ally McCoist wants Scotland to ditch VAR.

To all the Posters highlighting the Human factor as the root of the problem,
I agree, and call me a conspiracy nut, but it's there, it's plain to see!

The Killers said it ages ago!!

"I did the least to notice
When the ball came down the line
Ignore the cameras, they won't render
Paid to see, but I was blind.
But sometimes we get the Perverts
And for them, it's Open Door
Close your eyes
What a lark
Don't say a word

Are we Human?
Or are we Chancers?
My word is final
My soul is sold
And I'm riddled with fleas,
And loadsa boils to lancer......"

:p

VAR is here to stay.

Gets much more right than wrong.

Also if we didn’t have VAR during our most recent Europa League games we probably wouldn’t have done as well as we did.

Only an idiot wouldn’t want it in place.
Gets more right than wrong - this is it in a nutshell. All the so-called experts Sutton,Hartson etc never mention this. It’s easy to bring up the odd poor decision but you have to balance this by all correct decisions it gets.
What is really highlighted now is how awful our officials are, not only on the field but also monitoring the VAR - this is the real issue

What we really need is to go a step further in Scotland and mic up the refs the same way they do in Rugby and have them working with players rather than against them.

To all the Posters highlighting the Human factor as the root of the problem,
I agree, and call me a conspiracy nut, but it's there, it's plain to see!

The Killers said it ages ago!!

"I did the least to notice
When the ball came down the line
Ignore the cameras, they won't render
Paid to see, but I was blind.
But sometimes we get the Perverts
And for them, it's Open Door
Close your eyes
What a lark
Don't say a word

Are we Human?
Or are we Chancers?
My word is final
My soul is sold
And I'm riddled with fleas,
And loadsa boils to lancer......"

:p
Human factors is the easy option of any RCCA. Contributing factor no doubt, but never a root cause.

Ryan Kent’s recent penalty foul and the ref not initially giving it, is the end of any argument against var for me.
Absolutely agree with this. Couple that decision with the one minutes earlier at Parkhead when a perfectly good Hearts goal was flagged offside until var intervened. This is why VAR must remain and is also why the tims want it scrapped.

So we get rid of it?

Then be subjected to many countless incidents that it’s got right then going against teams.

People forgetting that the richest league in the world had teething issues and still does?

The weirdest thing about the Scottish media's coverage of VAR "controversy" is that while we never hear an explanation or justification of a decision from anyone with responsibility and authority for administering the rules of the game - the referee, the ref who is working the VAR, or a league or SFA official - the media feels the need to bombard us on a weekly basis with whatever dimwit pundits like Sutton and Hartson have to say about the latest decisions.

Most probably because he would be replaced.
We all know what’s going on here as the stats show, but he’s in a good position with a platform to say what he really should be saying but I won’t hold my breath.
Still a legend though.
He never does ñ, He always sits on the fence and occasionally goes onto the opposite side of our fence

If it was down to me and I had the choice of doing away with VAR from the game entirely or never having to listen to his commentary or punditry work again I know which choice I'd make.

I really do, I really really do. I'll tell ye that right now. Abshalootly. And I don't know if you'll agree with me but I have to say, I really do.

VAR for the win.

No VAR, no admission to Europe, watch the narrative change.
Its here for good, just needs professionals to run it.

If VAR is stopped bring back Black and White tv coverage or commentary only on the Wireless. 2023 ffs

VAR isn't perfect. Nothing is.

There have been a large number of wrong decisions this season that VAR has put right. Many of which have been decisions refs did not want to give in our favour.

You'll never get perfection but we are much better off with VAR than without it. Ally's entitled to his opinion but he comes across as a bit of a dinosaur in this and isn't doing us any favours

Am I correct in saying that neither us or them have dropped a single point to the rest since VAR started?

I know it's McCoist etc etc etc but he's not very bright at times is he? Does he know he's doing the bidding of the scum?

You only need to sit and ask yourself why the scum are so against var.

I'm pro VAR, and believe that it can work for the better of the game in Scotland.

So, I don't think Ally is on the right track here.

In my opinion, what we need is a more professional refereeing structure, and referees who are not intimidated by that mob from the East End.

Last edited:
Love the guy but he’s wrong here. Just do it better.
I wonder if some tv punters don’t like it as it takes a lot of their talking shite away

As soon as we get our noses in front and these decisions are seen to be assisting, the toys will come right out the pram.....

Love the guy but he’s wrong here. Just do it better.
I wonder if some tv punters don’t like it as it takes a lot of their talking shite away
We can't afford to do it better.
The costs will soon be thrown out there as an excuse to ditch it. Nothing surer.

Super Ally is my hero and always will be. However he does piss me off when he’s trying to be all pally with everyone and does it with that annoying smile and laugh.

Then any scottish ref who has visions of bettering himself will vote to strike, European and international games all use var so they wouldn't be eligible to participate.
Came to post exactly this.

Not having var would exclude Scottish refs from international tournaments, meaning players are being officiated to a different (lower) standard.

You'd never see a decent European class player ever again in the league, and the best refs (no laughing) would head south for a decent career leaving the absolute dross.

This would complete Scottish footballs collective race to the bottom. Type of thing I could actually see happening.

At the end of the day, the referees and linesmen are getting the calls wrong. VAR has had it problems but its still getting more right decisions in games, even if not perfect.
Exactly, it’s not the technology, but the people interpreting it that’s the problem

I used to pretend I was McCoist as a young lad, Barry Ferguson is one of my favourite ever Rangers players. By %^*& they’re thick, too busy trying to be the token hun. Lads, they despise you, nothing you do or say will change that.

Apparently the pitch is scanned and everything is calibrated pre-match. The issue isn't VAR, the issue is that Scottish football is so utterly tin-pot that we don't have enough cameras to make it work properly and that human error still comes into play; and there is a lot of human error when Scottish officials are involved.
Nailed it

I honestly struggle to see how any Rangers fan can be against it?

The team making the most noise about it, are the one that have had the benefit of decisions for some time now. VAR makes that more difficult for them.

I can’t believe anyone really wants to go back to that.

As for the time it takes on occasion. Give me a correct decision that takes a minute or two, rather than a quick incorrect one any day.

Should we not be lobbying to improve it then and make it the best it can be?

No, not in Scottish football. Let's just get rid of it.

No wonder our games a complete laughing stock
There’s no chance Scotland is getting rid of it. Not because there aren’t more than a few knuckle draggers lobbying for it. Nope, Scotland won’t get rid of it because of UEFA and FIFA. Know your place Scotland.

Back