Alnwick to Shrewsbury?

If we are looking for money it makes more sense to sell Wes, keep Jak and send Robby out on loan for a season. This time next season sell Jak and Robby becomes No 2 to Greegs.

Reactions: cav
Isnt Tim Krull out of contract?? Seem to remember reading it somewhere. Terrific big keeper. Fod just isnt good enough.

Rangers have an offer on table for Wes, we just want a bit more.
He'll be sold. Mentality wise, not up to it. Can't keep out saveable long range efforts, which happens a lot.
someone retweeted the video of all the celtic goals against us since rodgers took charge.

Wes looks like he should've done better for the majority of them.

you can't save em all, but you can make a better fist of it.

he's gash

Be surprised if Fod is happy playing second fiddle.
Well that’s up to him to push himself to improve. I think this will be good for him as it will be the first real competition for a place in the team he has had never mind from a keeper that is currently better than him

Rangers have an offer on table for Wes, we just want a bit more.
He'll be sold. Mentality wise, not up to it. Can't keep out saveable long range efforts, which happens a lot.

So we are going to be getting rid of Wes, Alnwick and Kelly this summer? And McCrorie going out on loan.

Wes doesn't seem to think he is going.

I'll be sorry if Alnwick goes as the back up keeper. I'd rather have him than Wes.

I just have never taken to Wes. I don't have trust in him. Capable of some nice one on one or reflex saves but the ball just seems to whizz past him from distance. It's as if he's not even there when an opponent shoots from distance :(

Some amount of revisionism of Foderingham.

Folk actually having Alnwick down as a better keeper :D

People literally go from hero to zero on here within a matter of weeks. It's honestly mental.

A few months ago a lot of posters wanted us tp spunki 5m on Goss this summer then within a few weeks the general consensus was he was lightweight and p*sh! :D

It'a management call and I can see the logic in retaining your 2 best keepers. McRorie is not yet the finished article we all hope he will become.

In goalkeeping terms Wes is still a young man and who knows if competion for the place will improve him.

I think Foderingham will move on before the transfer window closes and we'll bring in an experienced keeper as backup to McGregor who will be happy with that situation.

McCrorie out on loan to keep developing and McAdams as third choice.

Shrewsbury are meant to have a sell-on clause for Goldson when he went to Brighton. Wonder if Alnwick going there is to sweeten the deal and get Goldson for a bit cheaper?

We had our eyes on another keeper before Gerrard took the job - I don't know if we are still interested so didn't want to say anything.

Personally, and this is just that, my own thoughts, I do not think Wes will be a Rangers player for much longer, we will have McGregor, A N Other and McCrorie for next season, with A N Other pushing McGregor for the starting spot.

Some amount of revisionism of Foderingham.

Folk actually having Alnwick down as a better keeper :D

Absolutely, with Greegs being elevated to the status of a De Gea in comparison! My memories of McGregor are of a very good shot stopper who didn’t need to command his box given the quality around him, was mediocre with the ball at his feet and rarely came for crosses.

I read a statistic that Fod faced more shots from outside the box than any other keeper when we were in the championship. I doubt that statistic improved when we stepped back up to the top league (which explains a lot given our defensive/defensive screening paucity). Contrary to the revisionism I have seen Wes come for many crosses and rarely drop the ball, plus his distribution is excellent.

At 26 Fod is not even at the peak of his powers and despite losing an abnormal amount of goals from distance, none of them meandered toward him and disappeared through his legs ala greegs v the filth. Fod and Greegs at 6’ 1” are a tad short in modern goalkeeping terms an observation made of Pickford in recent times.

I don’t think either keeper is exceptional, but I do think comparing both as Rangers keepers is hugely unfair on Wes given the awful defences he’s had to play behind. McGregor played in a Walter Smith success story, a side founded on its defensive ethic and populated by excellent professionals. Wes has played in a fractious, turbulent time for Rangers behind defenders who were clearly nowhere close to Rangers quality.

Wes has made some brilliant saves and there are domestic games where he has had to make 7 or 8 brilliant saves to keep the score sensible. McGregor is a good, solid keeper but is far from the superstar some on here laud him for, cue the revisionism should he be chosen as number 1 and ship a few howlers.

Wes is the bigger name and would command a better transfer fee and I personally think Alnwick is the better all round keeper.

We had our eyes on another keeper before Gerrard took the job - I don't know if we are still interested so didn't want to say anything.

Personally, and this is just that, my own thoughts, I do not think Wes will be a Rangers player for much longer, we will have McGregor, A N Other and McCrorie for next season, with A N Other pushing McGregor for the starting spot.

Good stuff.

McGregor will be the number 1. He's a better keeper than anything we have the now. Wes is a decent shot stopper at times, but more often than not, he just cant keep out long range efforts. That loses him a lot of kudos for me. Sell.

Fod sums up the last few years for us. Not Rangers standard and should be mentally scared with how many tankins we’ve took off Celtic.

Doc, I feel like there's a clue in there? lol. A N Other, weird way to put it? Antti Niemi is back folks.

I’d rather keep Alnwick and punt Foderingham.

punt wes and Alnwick and bring in the lad from hearts for free .

He's better than both of them

Outstanding young keeper, but I'd say he still needs a bit of physical development to be a potential number 1 for us, if McGregor got a long term injury.

Wes would give McGregor excellent competition and keep him on his toes.

Whether or not he's prepared to do that though is another matter.

Going by his twitter he is. someone said along the line of Mcgregor would take number 1 off him and he replied "we'll see"

Going by his twitter he is. someone said along the line of Mcgregor would take number 1 off him and he replied "we'll see"

Good.

Nothing wrong with a bit of healthy competition mate.

I'm sure Gerrard will give them both opportunities in the pre season games and then decide who's looked the most impressive in training and matches and select his number 1.

Good.

Nothing wrong with a bit of healthy competition mate.

I'm sure Gerrard will give them both opportunities in the pre season games and then decide who's looked the most impressive in training and matches and select his number 1.

Definitely, I'm all for having both of them.

Fod will improve with a better defence infront of him aswell hopefully. Think we have yet to see the best of him.

He's 30 year old and just broke into the Scotland team, why would he want to come to us and sit on the bench?
Hearts have signed a new goalie from the Czech republic, no idea if he's their new number 1 though.

Hearts have signed a new goalie from the Czech republic, no idea if he's their new number 1 though.

He's out of contract so will likely move on but not to sit on the bench I wouldn't think.

If anyone heard the Bett on it podcast, on heart and hand about Allan McGregor there's a short story that tells you exactly why Wes should be the one hunted.

Weak mindedness will not win titles. Even having someone like him in the squad runs the risk of spreading it throughout the squad, although hopefully a man like Gerrard will offset that as there will inevitably be some dross left in the squad after the window

I would guess if we were looking at another keeper then it would be an experienced option and from the SPL so either Joe lewis or Jon McLaughlin.

Wes’ save from the Goblin’s freekick in ET of the 2016 semi was sensational. He’s done quite well for us. I do think we could upgrade BUT.... tin hat on.... there’s a bit of revisionism going on re McGregor.

Should Wes have done better with some of those OF goals? Yes.

Has Wes committed as egregious an error in an OF than McGregor (more than once)? No.

Gravesen at Ibrox. That wee Moroccan at Ibrox. Nakamura from 40 yards into the middle of the goal. Samaras at Ibrox.

The Samaras penalty save masks quite a bit, and McGregor is a good keeper, but let’s not pretend he’s perfect.

So the goalkeeper in question has the initials A N?

Surely no Antti Niemi? :D

If Wes could command his box and keep focused when the ball is at distance then he would be a potential England #1. Not commanding his box is his biggest failing for me.

Wes’ save from the Goblin’s freekick in ET of the 2016 semi was sensational. He’s done quite well for us. I do think we could upgrade BUT.... tin hat on.... there’s a bit of revisionism going on re McGregor.

Should Wes have done better with some of those OF goals? Yes.

Has Wes committed as egregious an error in an OF than McGregor (more than once)? No.

Gravesen at Ibrox. That wee Moroccan at Ibrox. Nakamura from 40 yards into the middle of the goal. Samaras at Ibrox.

The Samaras penalty save masks quite a bit, and McGregor is a good keeper, but let’s not pretend he’s perfect.

The amount of goals Wes has lost from range is high the last few years. A lot of them routine saves.

He's never going to be better than McGregor.

Back