An old fashioned pitch invasion Wembley 1979.

i was at that game , from memory the pitch invasion happened when we were 1-0 up and playing well enough, I'm sure England equalised in the minute or so that was added on at the end of the first half , and in the second half they just ran over the top of us, incidentally that night was the first night I saw kebabs being grilled on a skewer, don't think kebab shops had made it up here yet ,

I was at that game. Went to see the girlfriend, her brother said we are heading down to Wembley and have a spare ticket. Still my favourite ex.

I was there too. Don't remember that either. But I do understand why the English didn't want us back. Absolute mayhem, but the greatest weekend ever.

I was at the game in the end behind George Wood's goal in the first half.
If he hadn't come on the pitch we would have gone in 1-0 up and I'm 100% certain, despite the guy having a tartan scarf, he was in fact English.

As a side note, the train/ underground transport back into the city centre was suspended but the 3 of us got back to Hammersmith when a Scot who lived in London stopped in his car and gave us a lift as we were the soberest looking!!

My first and only visit to Wembley for that fixture.

Interesting couple of days I have to say.

If he hadn't come on the pitch we would have gone in 1-0 up and I'm 100% certain, despite the guy having a tartan scarf, he was in fact English.

As a side note, the train/ underground transport back into the city centre was suspended but the 3 of us got back to Hammersmith when a Scot who lived in London stopped in his car and gave us a lift as we were the soberest looking!!
I seem to remember he was an Everton supporter, who wanted to meet George Wood.

i was at that game , from memory the pitch invasion happened when we were 1-0 up and playing well enough, I'm sure England equalised in the minute or so that was added on at the end of the first half , and in the second half they just ran over the top of us, incidentally that night was the first night I saw kebabs being grilled on a skewer, don't think kebab shops had made it up here yet ,
First kebab shop I remember was in Byres Road, around 1980, and of course, we were all ignoring the grilled meat and going for the donner.

It was funny watching the Keystone Kops chasing him but I've never seen the attraction of going onto the pitch. Unless of course it was Erica Rowe.

Watching the footage of these games from the 70s and talking to those who went to them its clear what a massive fixture it was.

By the time I started watching football in the mid 80s you could see the annual fixture was clearly dying on its arse and had had its day.

Watching the footage of these games from the 70s and talking to those who went to them its clear what a massive fixture it was.

By the time I started watching football in the mid 80s you could see the annual fixture was clearly dying on its arse and had had its day.

Absolutely. In the 70s, there would be my granda and a couple of my da's mates in our house, with of course the obligatory swally.

Not every year because sometimes my old man would be down in Brigton or Rutherglen watching the game.

But yes, apart from a WC year, that game was the big finale to the season.

Correct. We had to walk for miles. Tube shut down. Walked from Wembley back to Shaftsbury . Miles.

Absolutely. In the 70s, there would be my granda and a couple of my da's mates in our house, with of course the obligatory swally.

Not every year because sometimes my old man would be down in Brigton or Rutherglen watching the game.

My old man still has a bit of the pitch from 77 in a screw box.

Correct. We had to walk for miles. Tube shut down. Walked from Wembley back to Shaftsbury . Miles.
aye thats right , we ended up jumping on a bus that some local told us would take us into central London, 20 minutes later we are at Brent cross shopping centre and the bus is terminating here, so kindly ticket inspector put us right and got us onto a bus heading into town and we eventually made it back into Central London, we went down on the "Football Special" , it left central on the friday night around 11 o'clock, f@cking absolute carnage on that train, lobbed off at Euston around 5 in the morning, then back up the road at midnight on the Saturday night, an eventful trip right enough

When I was wee, it was just about the only live game on TV in Scotland in the whole season, when there wasn't a World Cup.

When I was wee, it was just about the only live game on TV in Scotland in the whole season, when there wasn't a World Cup.
im sure we got the European Cup Final live as well, and occasionally an international game, but as you say very limited live coverage, even radio commentaries back then was only the second half of games

im sure we got the European Cup Final live as well, and occasionally an international game, but as you say very limited live coverage, even radio commentaries back then was only the second half of games
Remember waiting to watch Scotsport back in the 70’s and being informed by Arthur Montford there would be no football as “ the outside
broadcasting cameras” were at Ayr racecourse covering the racing for ITV.

Not a pitch invasion, but during the 1977 game, my old man was bevvied in the house watching the game, Scotland score and he leaps up, grabs the Lion Rampant off the back of the couch and runs out the back door, across the shared drive and into the next doors house, where he proceeds to get it right up our absolute gentleman of a neighbour, then races back in and plonks himself back in his chair! Two hours later, my mum arrives home from her Saturday job, he’s upstairs snoring drunk in his pit, she gets the intelligence report of his antics from her next door and goes off to smooth the troubled waters, comes back in raging and goes through me for allowing it and nurses her wrath until the next day when she tears the shamefaced, hungover reprobate a new one. Took weeks for the Cold War to subside. Thankfully, Jack next door never held it against him, heat of the moment and all that, but it took a long time for the old man to live it down. For context, we were living in England at the time!

Not a pitch invasion, but during the 1977 game, my old man was bevvied in the house watching the game, Scotland score and he leaps up, grabs the Lion Rampant off the back of the couch and runs out the back door, across the shared drive and into the next doors house, where he proceeds to get it right up our absolute gentleman of a neighbour, then races back in and plonks himself back in his chair! Two hours later, my mum arrives home from her Saturday job, he’s upstairs snoring drunk in his pit, she gets the intelligence report of his antics from her next door and goes off to smooth the troubled waters, comes back in raging and goes through me for allowing it and nurses her wrath until the next day when she tears the shamefaced, hungover reprobate a new one. Took weeks for the Cold War to subside. Thankfully, Jack next door never held it against him, heat of the moment and all that, but it took a long time for the old man to live it down. For context, we were living in England at the time!
That is absolutely brilliant.
Why we love the game, the emotional connection is more powerful than anything.

Got off the train at Euston station. Loads of us piled outside thinking right need get Wembley now.
Furniture removal van outside taking money of us to pile in back and Wembley bound.
Shutters pulled down then fook all for 15 mins.
Cockneys bolted with cash and left us in the van at Euston.
Done up like a kipper.. Fkn brilliant.. Lol.

Back