Anthony Gordon - The Overlap

Empire

@Empire1872 - Twitter
Staff member

My favourite show to watch. Love the 1-1 interviews and also the Stick to Football episodes with Keane, Carragher and Ian Wright joining Neville.

This interview with Gordon is one of the best. Neville is genuinely taken aback at how Gordon is, how he prepares himself for games and how focused he is. He often gets the finger pointed at him for being cocky but I think this will show him in a different light. The part about taking ownership of his own fitness plan which excludes gym work is very interesting to hear. I often think footballers just do what they are told at times by physios instead of knowing their own body and what works for them. Newcastle have been torn apart with injuries this season but Gordon has stayed relatively injury free. He feels weights puts more strain on his body which causes more injuries and instead he’ll focus on stretching and yoga which helps with his explosiveness on the park. He makes the point that he could be faster if he did more gym work but it would ultimately mean more injuries.

Anyway, a superb watch and listen and I think you’ll all enjoy it listening to a very impressive and interesting young guy who wants to be at the top of football.

Obviously he can do what he likes / what he feels works for him but to be honest, he’s talking a lot of bullshit there.

Weights aren’t going to cause ‘more injuries’ if load is managed appropriately (most of the evidence points the other way) and I can’t see yoga or stretching doing much for ‘explosiveness’ on a football pitch.

Obviously he can do what he likes / what he feels works for him but to be honest, he’s talking a lot of bullshit there.

Weights aren’t going to cause ‘more injuries’ if load is managed appropriately (most of the evidence points the other way) and I can’t see yoga or stretching doing much for ‘explosiveness’ on a football pitch.

No offence but this is classic FF.

I aint no yoga master but i know that is is most definitely beneficial for bursts of speed through balance and core strength as well as many other benefits including injury prevention. You.might want to look into yoga a little more prior to crying bullshit :rolleyes:

Stretching and yoga allied to breathing technique is the way to go for a lot of sports. It can include and should include some weights and circuit training, but it is quite easy to ’overload’ with weights, even with a trainer, which can result in stress injuries over time.

People who just do weights usually don’t suffer long-term injuries from such training, but for footballers, it is essential to do a light weights programme as the muscles are used in a different way on the pitch compared to the gym. Hence, stretching and yoga helps more in sustaining an injury-free format and being able to last longer on the pitch directly due to muscles being given more oxygen during the yoga and breathing processes.

Great insight. He's been electric this season and looks a bargain at 50 million.

Hate to say it but O'Riley for them adopts similar practises in terms of match prep.

Good listen and what’s more a very good footballer and on current form should be a shoe in for England.

Re. Yoga and stretching he has found what helps him and is using it to improve as a player.

Maybe won’t work for everyone but think Djokovic and his Gluten/Dairy free diet.

I aint no yoga master but i know that is is most definitely beneficial for bursts of speed through balance and core strength as well as many other benefits including injury prevention. You.might want to look into yoga a little more prior to crying bullshit :rolleyes:
Slow x static stretching (yoga) isn’t going to benefit speed x power output (explosiveness) on a football park.

The ‘core strength’ benefits for a highly trained individual like Gordon will be negligible and balance is specific (I.e. if you want better balance for football, train balance in ways that are specific to football).

And there’s zero evidence that yoga reduces injuries in football players.

It’s all individual. Every human body is different.

I think a professional athlete knows more about what works for them than you would. Unless you are one yourself?

The evidence for resistance training in reducing non-contact MSK injuries is beyond reproach and has been since the 90s.

Static stretching is less efficacious for increasing muscle length than isometric strength training according to many peer-reviewed journal articles.

To increase ‘burst of speed’, you need to develop type 2x muscle (fast twitch) muscle fibres. This can be done by training maximal strength and power.

Strength conditioning can be beneficial for sure but imo it should always just be bodyweight exercises for a pro footballer so yoga is in that wheel house.

It’s all individual. Every human body is different.

I think a professional athlete knows more about what works for them than you would. Unless you are one yourself?
I’ve literally said that in my first line. And that doesn’t negate other bullshit he said that contradicts the published evidence.

Strength conditioning can be beneficial for sure but imo it should always just be bodyweight exercises for a pro footballer so yoga is in that wheel house.
What evidence supports body weight only exercise for professional athletes? Does ‘downward dog’ or ‘sphinx’ replicate the demands of football?

My favourite show to watch. Love the 1-1 interviews and also the Stick to Football episodes with Keane, Carragher and Ian Wright joining Neville.

This interview with Gordon is one of the best. Neville is genuinely taken aback at how Gordon is, how he prepares himself for games and how focused he is. He often gets the finger pointed at him for being cocky but I think this will show him in a different light. The part about taking ownership of his own fitness plan which excludes gym work is very interesting to hear. I often think footballers just do what they are told at times by physios instead of knowing their own body and what works for them. Newcastle have been torn apart with injuries this season but Gordon has stayed relatively injury free. He feels weights puts more strain on his body which causes more injuries and instead he’ll focus on stretching and yoga which helps with his explosiveness on the park. He makes the point that he could be faster if he did more gym work but it would ultimately mean more injuries.

Anyway, a superb watch and listen and I think you’ll all enjoy it listening to a very impressive and interesting young guy who wants to be at the top of football.
Was a very good podcast. Early in the podcast he talks about some of the books which have inspired him and He talks about Tim Grover, the performance coach of Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant. If you get a chance and your into sports psychology etc listen to this podcast Below with Tim Grover on The Diary Of A Ceo might be one of the best i have ever watched.

my favourite podcast

anthony gordon is a very good player who’s kicked on this season, now i can see why. he’s only getting better

Was a very good podcast. Early in the podcast he talks about some of the books which have inspired him and He talks about Tim Grover, the performance coach of Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant. If you get a chance and your into sports psychology etc listen to this podcast Below with Tim Grover on The Diary Of A Ceo might be one of the best i have ever watched.

Rangers should contact him. Our injury list has been shocking for years.

Stretching and yoga allied to breathing technique is the way to go for a lot of sports. It can include and should include some weights and circuit training, but it is quite easy to ’overload’ with weights, even with a trainer, which can result in stress injuries over time.

People who just do weights usually don’t suffer long-term injuries from such training, but for footballers, it is essential to do a light weights programme as the muscles are used in a different way on the pitch compared to the gym. Hence, stretching and yoga helps more in sustaining an injury-free format and being able to last longer on the pitch directly due to muscles being given more oxygen during the yoga and breathing processes.
Daughters ex boyfriend was with a premier league team and they were banned from doing weights which I always thought was a bit strange, but who am I to argue with a fully trained physio.

Daughters ex boyfriend was with a premier league team and they were banned from doing weights which I always thought was a bit strange, but who am I to argue with a fully trained physio.
It’s an interesting question. Lots of old school boxers etc never did weights, Cus D’Amato who trained Mike Tyson never had Tyson doing any weights more plyometrics, later in his career he did but they were always conscious of losing speed, cardio and injuries. I know the type of training they do now aren’t heavy and more speed related and flexibility. But the question is still interesting, if you look at Tiger Woods you got to think his training maybe played a big part in future injuries and then you see boxers like Tyson fury and his cardio compared to more muscle bound David Haye types.

Really surprised by him, assumed he’d be a Scouse dafty.

Very switched on with the mental side of the game and has tunnel vision to reach his goals.

He was brilliant u21 euros in the summer and think he’ll have a good chance starting for England from the left as they need a runner. Between him Watkins and rashford really.

Rice 6, Bellingham 8, Foden (or palmer) 10, saka right and Kane up top. They need an outlet from
The Left.

Never judge a book by its cover would seem a tailor made phrase for Gordon after watching this.
Fair play to him. He seems every bit the consummate professional.

Bet there's more than a few Rangers Da's spluttering when he talked about Meditation and Visualisation.

"Never mind that pish, just get the baw hoofed in tae the box"

Watched a bit of this last night. Quite an intense lad as Neville says but quite obviously his fitness routine benefits him as he's one of very few who haven't been hampered by injuries for Newcastle this season.

Quite like him as a player. Very pacy and a good shot on him.

I think he's mint and will go on to be an outstanding player. He was obviously raw at Everton, and not everybody's cup of tea, but I saw his potential when the England under 21's won the Euros. He absolutely has to be taken by Southgate for the Euros this summer. What a weapon to have on the bench to come on against tiring defenders. Surely there's no possible way Rashford can go ahead of him, even if Rashford has done well at times for England.

I’ve watch about 5 minutes of this and will certainly watch the whole thing because it is putting him in a different light to what I’d seen.

There was a game for Everton where he body checked a couple of opponents - just a really sneaky, nasty foul and I really took a dislike to him from seeing him do this in that game and then a couple of others.
At Newcastle he seems to have grown as a player and a member of the team though.

What evidence supports body weight only exercise for professional athletes? Does ‘downward dog’ or ‘sphinx’ replicate the demands of football?

There's no evidence I gave my opinion and from my experience of playing myself.

I always felt weights made me lose a yard.

Very good interview. Reminds me of Gerrard talking about nobody was getting in his way of his goals.

Switched on boy, was interesting to hear him talking about being number 9 and learning within a few games how to play it.

Very good interview. Reminds me of Gerrard talking about nobody was getting in his way of his goals.

Switched on boy, was interesting to hear him talking about being number 9 and learning within a few games how to play it.
Last person I’d be picking for a penalty for my life would be myself. :))

I’ve watch about 5 minutes of this and will certainly watch the whole thing because it is putting him in a different light to what I’d seen.

There was a game for Everton where he body checked a couple of opponents - just a really sneaky, nasty foul and I really took a dislike to him from seeing him do this in that game and then a couple of others.
At Newcastle he seems to have grown as a player and a member of the team though.
I don’t mind a player having a nasty streak about them tbh. One that really surprised me a few years back was a few defenders getting asked the dirtiest player they played again and a few of them named Bergkamp.

Met his uncle through work recently, he is the landlord of a posh pub called The Grenadier in a private road in Belgravia.

Just got round to watching this. What a boy. So down to earth... Compare and contrast with Madueke who Chelsea ended up with.

You are on FF. You can argue with anyone about anything. Old Albert Einstein would get howled down on here. E=MC2? A pile of peesh he would be told. It is what makes FF so enjoyable. The ferocity of arguments about random things.
And of course the one thing we ALL agree about that wonderful Nat bashing thread.

Played Volleyball at a decent level. Core work and Yoga type exercises were what we were given. I can always remember a few boys that were going places and they thought they would bulk up for more power and they made a mess of their careers, injuries and lose of agility.

Some of the most powerful guys I played with where not big gym users.

Back