Any SPFL players you’d like us to sign?

Miovski would be good at us and is on the youngish side. Shankland seems like a no brainer as well but feel we would only need one of them.

Lennon Miller and Watson. Buy them and get them out on loan to their current clubs.

When you look at the goals/assists stats for the Scottish Premiership there is a real lack of Scottish players 24 years old or younger with any decent attacking stats. It's all players from abroad.

You have Lyall Cameron and David Watson, that's about it. Even then their stats are not that good.

Just highlights how bad youth development is in Scotland, too many neandertal football coaches who encourage the physical hammer throwing style of football over technical attacking football.

He seemed quite happy scoring an injury time equaliser against them, his second goal against them at their dump.

99% of footballers are professionals, they've been playing Saturday / Sunday for so long that actual allegiances like fans don't develop.

And thats before we get into the long list of players who supported us/them and went onto perform well for the other side.
It's incredible how many fans disregard your second sentence.

Miovski would be good at us and is on the youngish side. Shankland seems like a no brainer as well but feel we would only need one of them.

Lennon Miller and Watson. Buy them and get them out on loan to their current clubs.

That sounds great ... but when you consider those two will cost us £5m it would be a huge outlay to then not play.

I’d rather have Watson and Miller in the squad than some of the dress we have at present.

At some point, we need to start hoovering up local talent again.

You’d comfortably fit them into a wage left behind from Ryan Jack.

Remember we paid £2m for KT about 15 years back. They took Brown for £4m. Both money largely well spent.

There is talent in our league - as you can see from Ferguson.

Thought the Killie keeper looked good, despite losing four goals. I know he's contracted to Bournmouth and wouldn't cost much I reckon. We defo need at least one new keeper next season and he could be a decent backup to Butland, possibly take over if we sell (which is a possibility)

If we got £5m for Lammers and Dessers combined then should spend it on Miovski, for about £7m I reckon. We'd also be saving on wages so a no brainer. Miovski would already be on 30 goals this season playing for us with the amount of fannying about Dessers does when he should be scoring or at least getting a shot away.

Thought the Killie keeper looked good, despite losing four goals. I know he's contracted to Bournmouth and wouldn't cost much I reckon. We defo need at least one new keeper next season and he could be a decent backup to Butland, possibly take over if we sell (which is a possibility)

Depends what happens with McCrorie if he stays that certainly helps in terms of club trained for Europe but if him Mclaughlin and Kieran Wright leave you're looking at least 2 of your 17 available places in the Euro squad being filled by non Scots were we to go for someone like Dennis.

Depends what happens with McCrorie if he stays that certainly helps in terms of club trained for Europe but if him Mclaughlin and Kieran Wright leave you're looking at least 2 of your 17 available places in the Euro squad being filled by non Scots were we to go for someone like Dennis.
Think keeper is a priority and if it means a non scot then so be it. Can't really think of any scottish keepers good enough for us.

If Aberdeen want 5m for Miovski I would pay it. Great potential to double that value, given his age. We have missed the boat so often recently with SPFL talent we have to learn. If they play funny buggers, which we know they will, throw in Scott Wright as well.

Barron looks a good opportunity on a free to add a bit of aggression into our midfield.

David Watson and Lennon Miller two that would still be a bit of a risk for paid transfers, but no more of a risk than another Bosman from the Championship on huge wages.

Shankland would be a great addition to the squad.

A proven goalscorer in our league, a Rangers man, and also ticks the homegrown quota.

Matt O Reilly
Kyogo
Htate
Vickers
Miovski
Shankland
Simms
Beck
Miller at Motherwell

Well, we ain't signing any of the first 4 on your list.:oops:

Ellis Simms plays for Coventry City these days, having joined them for circa £7m.

Beck is a Liverpool player so would possibly cost a bit. I do like the look of him though.

Miller, I like too, but maybe not so much at £3m+.

Unless there is a substantial price difference, at least £2m, I'd prefer Miovski to Shankland.

Looked decent first half but was awful second half I thought. At fault for two of the goals.

Barron on a free would do ok and nothing to lose
He’s not in the league anymore but Biereth who was on loan at Motherwell the first half of the season would do well

Could bair be an option as a third choice striker and a different option

Apart from the obvious 2 in Shankland and Miovski, any others that you think could make the grade?

The boy Lennon Miller looks a talent.

Mitov would be a decent back up for Butland assuming McCrorie will move on.
Miller or Watson would be worth going for, preferably Watson. Barron on a free would be decent business. McCowan from Dundee is a good player as well and would be a decent addition as a back up incase we end up with 0 midfielders fit again next season.

Also if we have a buy-back for Mayo (not sure if true but had read here at the start of the season it was 200k or something) he'd be worth getting as well. He's looked better against Celtic than any of our defenders have.

Edited to add - And of course we must sign Shankland. Last year of contract shouldn't cost too much but even if it was 3 million we had to spend it'd be worth it.

Barron looks a good opportunity on a free to add a bit of aggression into our midfield.

David Watson and Lennon Miller two that would still be a bit of a risk for paid transfers, but no more of a risk than another Bosman from the Championship on huge wages.

Would disagree with the last part every signing is a risk but with Lennon Miller he's 17 and that's his first full season of men's football. Rumoured to want £3m for him for me that's a far bigger risk than signing someone on a free given it's a totally different environment for him, the demands change pressure of winning every week and let's be honest he's not going to play every week for us either. Maybe a loan back out for a year or 2 and see how he does but we can't afford to spend £3m on him right now.

a bit of an odd shout but I've been impressed by the white haired boy at Dundee Paul McGowan he had a good game against us and a great game against them in midfield great engine and never stops

There is quite a few I would like us to sign, some would be this summer, some next summer and a few to keep an eye on.

Miller, Watson, Shankland, Cameron, Miovski & Barron would be this summer. Maybe loan one or two back to their current clubs.

There is quite a few I would like us to sign, some would be this summer, some next summer and a few to keep an eye on.

Miller, Watson, Shankland, Cameron, Miovski & Barron would be this summer. Maybe loan one or two back to their current clubs.
This place would go into meltdown if we spent over £3m on someone - Miller for example - then loaned them back to their current club. If we are spending that much we want someone who improves us now, not in a season or two.

This place would go into meltdown if we spent over £3m on someone - Miller for example - then loaned them back to their current club. If we are spending that much we want someone who improves us now, not in a season or two.

This place loves a meltdown for no reason at the best of times.

We need to become more competitive and patient with signings, some need to be bought with the plan that they won’t pay off for a season or two and become big pay days later done the line or accept that we won’t be getting them like we didn’t get Ferguson, Doug or Hickey.

We need to become more competitive and patient with signings, some need to be bought with the plan that they won’t pay off for a season or two and become big pay days later done the line or accept that we won’t be getting them like we didn’t get Ferguson, Doug or Hickey.
It certainly does.:)

However, in this instance - and given our recent dearth of trophies - I simply do not seeing us spending, for example, £3m on someone to then loan them out. And I’d agree with that. Potential to do as you suggest once we have won some trophies and are on a better financial footing. I wouldn’t have an issue with that at all.

On a side note, our only rivals, despite more money and trophies coming in every season, missed the boat on all these guys as well. They did sign Turnbull and Taylor though I suppose.

Rougvie ?

Lennon Miller seems to be a popular shout here, but there's little chance of signing him, and arguably little point in doing so, if we're not going to be able to offer him minutes. I don't get the impression he'd be interested in signing to return to playing B team football. If he's going to cost £500k - £1M, then we need him to develop into a player for us, and he's unlikely to do so without regular first team minutes.

Bear in mind that he came through the ranks at Motherwell with Bailey Rice with them both rated similarly and reported to be pals. Miller has racked up around 29 appearances for Motherwell this season. Rice has 2 appearances for us this season for under 15 minutes in total.

So, unless we actually commit to a strategy of playing the best prospects we have within our ranks (whether we've exclusively developed them or recruited them from elsewhere) then guys like Miller aren't for us.

I get that young players need to step up, and prove that they can cut in training, B team games and any first team minutes they get. However, the club also needs some kind of strategy.

Is Miller today a better player than Rice, King, Lowry and McKinnon (the latter being a few years older) none of whom can get a game for us even when we have looked clueless (earlier in the season) and leggy (more recently)?

Barron's a different kettle of fish because he's on a Bosman.

Barron on a Bosman was mentioned earlier on in the season.

Barron vs Lundstram

26 league appearance - 33 league appearances
1 goal - 0 goals
2 assists - 5 assists
Pass accuracy, 77.8% - 88.6%
Accurate long balls, 60 - 190
Chances created, 21 - 52
Successful dribbles, 10 - 8
Touches, 1224 - 2841
Fouls won, 14 - 22
Dispossessed, 13 - 17
Tackles won, 33 (75%) - 39 (68.4)
Duals won, 88 (44.3%) - 128 (52%)
Aerial, 24 (68.6%) - 41 (56.2%)
Interceptions, 21 - 28
Blocks, 7 - 14
Fouls committed, 22 - 27
Recoveries, 136 - 217
Possession won in final third, 7 - 15
Dribbled past, 19 - 34
Yellow cards, 1 - 3

21 years old. Does he have attributes to develop further. Homegrown too.

Barron on a Bosman was mentioned earlier on in the season.

Barron vs Lundstram

26 league appearance - 33 league appearances
1 goal - 0 goals
2 assists - 5 assists
Pass accuracy, 77.8% - 88.6%
Accurate long balls, 60 - 190
Chances created, 21 - 52
Successful dribbles, 10 - 8
Touches, 1224 - 2841
Fouls won, 14 - 22
Dispossessed, 13 - 17
Tackles won, 33 (75%) - 39 (68.4)
Duals won, 88 (44.3%) - 128 (52%)
Aerial, 24 (68.6%) - 41 (56.2%)
Interceptions, 21 - 28
Blocks, 7 - 14
Fouls committed, 22 - 27
Recoveries, 136 - 217
Possession won in final third, 7 - 15
Dribbled past, 19 - 34
Yellow cards, 1 - 3

21 years old. Does he have attributes to develop further. Homegrown too.

His stats will improve massively playing in a better team you would think. Particularly the attacking ones.

It's always a gamble signing any player but we'll just need to wait and see.

I do suspect there's something in the link since it's gone all quiet his end and he was mysteriously dropped earlier on around the time of our reported interest.

Similar to Jack deal the sheep weren't happy.

He was suggested as a squad player, why don't you explain what's funny about the suggestion .

The problem with people suggesting "squad players" is that they forget they'll probably have to play quite alot of games. Especially at us where we seem to have a permanent injury crisis.

We have three months of this to look forward to in the summer transfer thread.

Back