Argentina v Croatia - BBC1

So if Iceland beat Nigeria tomorrow, easy money on a draw between Croatia and Iceland next week as both will be guaranteed prgression that way
Nigeria have to be the worst team I've seen so far

Well apart from Argentina obviously

I've always argued that the Croatian Scott Brown couldn't carve out a career in Croatia and become a 'legend' in the eyes of their supporters like he did here. He's probably on about £30,000 a week to play football in Scotland and never push himself on to a higher level. I don't think a Croatian guy playing in their league would earn a quarter of that without moving abroad at the first opportunity.
What a bizarre thing to always argue. Your mates must think 'awww ffs, here he goes with his Croatian Scott Brown chat again' :D

Last edited:
First of all: Otamendi is a dick.

And as i said before. Messi for me is NOT one of the greatest players of all time, he is NOT in the same category as Maradonna, Pele, Zidane (and maybe Ronaldo). I would rather have Modric and Rakitic or Iniesta and Xavi in my team than Messi and Di Maria for example. These players carry their teams, Messi does not IMO. At least not at a level that you would expect.

Think about what players like Ramos, Cannavaro, Neuer, Buffon, Ronaldo (both) or Cafu did for their teams. Football is not only about scoring goals.

Argentina are a poor side and have been for years. Messi has basically enabled them to reach 3 finals on the bounce...that they got to a World Cup final 4 years ago is nothing short of a miracle considering how shite they were in the group stages.

To say that Messi doesn't carry his teams is just nonsense though, you can't judge that based on a couple of games at this World Cup.

In the last few months alone he basically scored a hat trick than ensured Argentina got to the WC. He came on injured when Barca were 2-0 down to Sevilla to rescue a point and save their unbeaten season.

He's scored nearly a game per game in every final he's played in.

Some folk have extremely short memories and seem to be judging him based on two poor games with Argentina.

I was so happy to see Maradonna sick as a parrot.

I had them down for a draw tonight. Who would have thought 3-0 to Croatia?
Got Iceland down for 2-1 tomorrow. So scrap that for a tip :)

@dt17: OK, fair play to that. But for me it seems that Messi was a perfect piece in a Pep-Puzzle. But can not thrive without that. Where as people like Zidane or Ronaldo are freaks that could play everywhere and still have an great impact on their team.
Dont get me wrong, Messi is one of the best of his Generation. But for me not an all-time great.

Portugal to win the World Cup. Telling ye!

It would be so funny if that happened. To be fair this world cup is wide open. Although I think the Argies will beat Nigeria and will be enough to get them through there is a big chamce they are going home.

Germany play Sweden on Saturday, if they repeat their first game performance they could be going home. None of the big teams have turned up yet.

Yes I would go over and copy their football developing blueprint - as ours with a slightly bigger population is a sick joke. Hardly any promising players of ours are going on to develop to be top level. The ones that stay within the SPL coaching scene have virtually no chance of being a world class player.

In my opinion this is mostly because our play is allowed to be too physical and therefore quicker paced, because it pays to steam in with aggressive challenges. Just look at the likes of Oduwa to see how development of skills will go in Scotland.

It would take a concerted change of philosophy and refereeing to create an environment to develop players. The first thing I would do would be to make every football pitch large or very near the maximum allowed dimension. Next you change the refereeing to slow the aggression a bit. Maybe then our football games might not resemble a school playground scrum - with 20 players within 20 yards of each other.

Games in Scottish football are more or less won in a physical war of attrition. Who needs skill, creativity or technique when thuggish morons like Ross Tokely could make money and a long career from kicking opponents ?

Strange in a way that a Nigeria win tomorrow would have Argentina right back in with a good chance of qualifying. I couldn’t see Croatia being that arsed to screw them over that they would deliberately lose to Iceland, then Argentina would just need to beat Nigeria

Croatia to go all the way perhaps ? Question - were Croatia that good or was it the fact that the Argies were so awful ...???

By the way I thought Otamendi's behaviour was absolutely disgraceful.

Argentina are a poor side and have been for years. Messi has basically enabled them to reach 3 finals on the bounce...that they got to a World Cup final 4 years ago is nothing short of a miracle considering how shite they were in the group stages.

To say that Messi doesn't carry his teams is just nonsense though, you can't judge that based on a couple of games at this World Cup.

In the last few months alone he basically scored a hat trick than ensured Argentina got to the WC. He came on injured when Barca were 2-0 down to Sevilla to rescue a point and save their unbeaten season.

Some folk have extremely short memories and seem to be judging him based on two poor games with Argentina.

True………Messi carries Argentina like Ronaldo carries Portugal.

Both are poor teams as …teams go!

Play…as individuals like the Germans did against Mexico.

Iceland are better ‘team side’ as they all work their arses off for each other and play to their strengths.

Croatia are going deep into the tournament by the looks of it. None of the big teams look any decent nick so far, they could beat anybody if they play like that.

Strong and physical all over the park, they have pace and technical ability too. Probably the best midfield at the tournament with Modric, Rakitic and Perisic, and to add to that they can all play very well as a team.

They'll take some beating!
Sorry I disagree yes they should win the group but that's it for me only because defence is red rotten front isn't that great either.

Word is that the Argie players have held a meeting and asked that Sampaoli not be in charge for their remaining game

Seems to be at every world cup he turns mince.

He looked like a fucking tramp in the dugout

Looked like a washed up Andre Agassi stunt double.

Canning him now would be pointless anyway because he hasn’t selected the right squad. Watching him frantically ringing in the changes over the last two games was like an admission that he’d arsed it all up. If only they’d had an absolute humping off someone like Spain that could have given him some clue...

@dt17: OK, fair play to that. But for me it seems that Messi was a perfect piece in a Pep-Puzzle. But can not thrive without that. Where as people like Zidane or Ronaldo are freaks that could play everywhere and still have an great impact on their team.
Dont get me wrong, Messi is one of the best of his Generation. But for me not an all-time great.
Messis Argentina have gone further at a WC than Ronaldo has with Portugal.

Portugal won the Euros but Ronaldo wasn't very good for the majority and he missed most of the final with an injury.

Puts to bed the Messi -Maradona debate .At their zenith Messi is a distant second .Looking at current players Ronaldo is clearly better than Messi too

I really enjoyed the 1st half, Argentina doing the possession and Croatia looking threatening on the break. What was worrying about Argentina is that when they went a goal down the team seemed to collapse. Croatia had an excellent organisation and good players and were the better side. Argentina lacked cohesion. If you look at the group, Argentina are still in it, they will be hoping Iceland don't win today but even if they do they will still have a slim chance. Argentina's defense looks weak down the sides. I think Croatia are a good outside bet for the tournament.

Ok but you do realise that Messi has got his Argentina side to 3 international finals so that puts the 'Pep' stuff to bed? Not many players can say they've played in a World Cup final (Ronaldo certainly can't).

Personally I think it's just a bit mental that adults are judging a player's career based on 2 games at a World Cup, as if Messi having a poor tournament suddenly makes him shite.

How did Ronaldo's WC go 4 years ago btw?

Croatia are going deep into the tournament by the looks of it. None of the big teams look any decent nick so far, they could beat anybody if they play like that.

Strong and physical all over the park, they have pace and technical ability too. Probably the best midfield at the tournament with Modric, Rakitic and Perisic, and to add to that they can all play very well as a team.

They'll take some beating!
Sorry I disagree yes they should win the group but that's it for me only because defence is red rotten front isn't that great either.

Ossie ardiles slaughtering argies on bbc sport. Says its the worst argentina side of all time and not even messi is capable of carrying them and the manager hasnt a clue. Hes not wrong

Ossie ardiles slaughtering argies on bbc sport. Says its the worst argentina side of all time and not even messi is capable of carrying them and the manager hasnt a clue. Hes not wrong

He also thinks Messi’s better than his old team mate Diego so he’s obviously clueless about his his own country’s team and players. He should get on FF for the lowdown.

Funny seeing Sergio Ramos and Maradona having a war of words.

Maradona saying Godin is a better defender than Ramos and Ramos saying Maradona is lightyears behind Messi! :D

He also thinks Messi’s better than his old team mate Diego so he’s obviously clueless about his his own country’s team and players. He should get on FF for the lowdown.
I would say ossie is well qualified to judge

Back