Balogun & Helander

In ...your opinion.

Well, yes of course, but off of this site I don't know anyone that thinks Balogun is the same level as the other 2.

If Balogun was, people wouldn't even be debating whether or not Bassey keeps the jersey when he is fit again. If it is Helander, its a no brainer.

If match fit I would go for Balogun due to his pace. We may need Bassey at left back if Barasic is not ready.

Not quite relevant to this thread I know, but all we seem to hear about just now is the number of injuries impacting Celtic. They are missing, from their first 11, Jota and Furuhashi, the rest apart from maybe Forrest are backup players. We have played every game Gio has managed minus a combination of Helander, Balogun, Barisic, Jack and Davis and today, after the first few minutes, had a LB at CB and a RB at LB. Never seen it mentioned once in the press how we've continued to win minus key players.
ur correct is always mentioned injured hit Celtic
by media

If Souter ( excuse spelling )of Hearts contract is up on 1 st December
is there a chance some one signs him like us when January transfer window opens up or will WE sign a better centre half ?
only mentioned as we are talking about centre half s

I normally agree with you mate but Balogun is far worse than the other 2
I don’t know how people can genuinely think this when the former gaffer had them pretty much a 50:50 pick when both fit and available and Balogun often getting the tougher games.

The simplest answer is often the correct one. I.e. the reason Balogun played about half the time with Helander and often against the tougher teams is because there isn’t much difference in what they provide as a defender (yes, their styles are very different , but the ultimate difference in quality many are at pains to push on here doesn’t exist).

Well, yes of course, but off of this site I don't know anyone that thinks Balogun is the same level as the other 2.

If Balogun was, people wouldn't even be debating whether or not Bassey keeps the jersey when he is fit again. If it is Helander, its a no brainer.
In your opinion.

I also think, in my opinion...certain players become better, the less games they play.

If Souter ( excuse spelling )of Hearts contract is up on 1 st December
is there a chance some one signs him like us when January transfer window opens up or will WE sign a better centre half ?
only mentioned as we are talking about centre half s
Souter is nowhere near the required standard, he’s a bit better than Simpson, but still way below what we require.

Not quite relevant to this thread I know, but all we seem to hear about just now is the number of injuries impacting Celtic. They are missing, from their first 11, Jota and Furuhashi, the rest apart from maybe Forrest are backup players. We have played every game Gio has managed minus a combination of Helander, Balogun, Barisic, Jack and Davis and today, after the first few minutes, had a LB at CB and a RB at LB. Never seen it mentioned once in the press how we've continued to win minus key players.

Don't forget Roofe has been injured for a few of Gio's games aswell.

People don't genuinely think Balogun is as good, never mind better, than Helander do they ?

For me Helander is our best CB, if he had an extra yard of pace (not that it's been an issue with us) and was playing as many games as Goldson then he wouldn't be at our club.

Our best CB pairing, when fit, is Helander and Goldson. Bassey has done incredibly well but would be my 3rd choice CB if we had all players fit and available to play.

Last edited:
Bassey had been good but I still think there’s big mistakes in him it’s not felt like he’s been under any great pressure in any of the games.

I like how he passes the ball quickly out of defence though to get us moving.

It’s just a shame you never really know which Balogun you’re gonna get he’s either man of the match or has a stinker
Tend to agree on both.

Bassey is improving at centre back, but still has too many dodgy moments for me - he's put us in trouble a couple of times with poor passes into midfield, nor does he look too clever in the air, although he is improving there. I also think his positional sense is not there yet - eg his OG & when he hit the bar recently I felt he should have been standing closer to the goal line, and he would have cleared both.

Balogun was fairly steady for most of last season & has been a good Bosman signing - great display at RB in the last OF game, but a horror show v Malmo, which backs up your point I guess.

It is a tough call but am veering towards Balogun, provided he's fit...

Back