Bank holiday football

sonofbunk

Discussing in work today that the Women’s old firm game is noon on bank holiday Monday.

One person in their 20s said that was weird. But my recollection was that this was common into the 90s. Certainly the game we should have clinched 9IAR v Motherwell was a bank holiday Monday. Am I misremembering and that game was just moved from the weekend for tv purposes?

Also, were games on Good Friday and Easter Monday ever a thing in Scotland? Or were we too Calvinist and its was solely in England?

Yes the Motherwell game was moved to the bank holiday Monday only for Sky coverage in 1997 had a 3pm kick-off

Manchester United v Middlesbrough was on before it - Manchester United played Sat-Mon-Thurs-Sun in the final week

I don't recall seen football on Good Friday or Easter Monday as a fixture card in Scotland not the past 40/50 odd years

Bit OT but Good Friday is the only Friday in German football Where there's no games. Except he last day when they all kick off at the same time

Yes the Motherwell game was moved to the bank holiday Monday only for Sky coverage in 1997 had a 3pm kick-off

Manchester United v Middlesbrough was on before it - Manchester United played Sat-Mon-Thurs-Sun in the final week

I don't recall seen football on Good Friday or Easter Monday as a fixture card in Scotland not the past 40/50 odd years
Didn’t recall that England did a Sat - Mon on the bank holiday - that’s wild.

Man U Boro was a hell of a match that day as well. Was the season Boro went down through a points deduction, played Rovers the Thursday night after it.

It was down to games in hand how it happened it wasn't a scheduled fixture listed

Middlesbrough and Newcastle had 2 each

Newcastle played Sat Tue Thurs Sun

Middlesbrough same as Manchester United

Man U Boro was a hell of a match that day as well. Was the season Boro went down through a points deduction, played Rovers the Thursday night after it.
It was 3-3

Middlesbrough were 3-1 up irc

Manchester United seemed to be happy with point in the end as they thought it dented they title hopes Confirmed champions the following night due to other results

was still going into the 1990s,, i used to go down to Liverpool over the easter weekend , and would take in the game at Anfield on the Saturday ,then Goodison on the Monday afternoon or vice versa

It was 3-3

Middlesbrough were 3-1 up irc

Manchester United seemed to be happy with point in the end as they thought it dented they title hopes Confirmed champions the following night due to other results

Aye, remember it, absolutely hammered down - was a big week for Boro, there is still bad blood over the match cancelled earlier that season with them. Was at the 0-0 on the Thursday.

was still going into the 1990s,, i used to go down to Liverpool over the easter weekend , and would take in the game at Anfield on the Saturday ,then Goodison on the Monday afternoon or vice versa

Still doing it in football league now with Good Friday and Easter Monday.

Discussing in work today that the Women’s old firm game is noon on bank holiday Monday.

One person in their 20s said that was weird. But my recollection was that this was common into the 90s. Certainly the game we should have clinched 9IAR v Motherwell was a bank holiday Monday. Am I misremembering and that game was just moved from the weekend for tv purposes?

Also, were games on Good Friday and Easter Monday ever a thing in Scotland? Or were we too Calvinist and its was solely in England?
May 1979 we played the sheep on Monday and mibbe the reserve game before it. The 7th iirc.

Back