Barisic - An Inexplicable Footballer

Dreadful first half?

What game were you watching?

He wasnt setting the game on fire but dreadful. JFC

Must admit, I thought the same mate. Him and Kent looked a couple yards off it imo.

Has to be said both did really well second half though. Kent in particular seemed to get much stronger as the game went on.

Wrote in the match thread at HT that he was frustrating the hell out of me but I wouldn’t take him off as he could swing in a cross and cause chaos. Think it’s the first prediction I’ve ever made in the match day thread that’s came true.

Christ knows what you do with the guy.

That's precisely his problem!
He started the first 10 mins reasonably well but then decided to go back into his shell for the remainder of the 1st half and always opted for the safe option.
He was getting pelters every time he passed the ball back to Goldson rather than be adventurous and try and play Kent in or fire in a cross.
I mentioned to Cutlass Jnr that groans from the crowd certainly won't help him improve his performances, he's actually a really good footballer but as you say, he's got confidence issues and getting on his back doesn't help!

The groans from the crowd were pretty poor I thought. Can't be doing that, even if he is not seeking out a forward pass.

I thought he had a great game, at times when he looked up and the forward pass was not on so retained possession, something we have seen many a good player coming to Ibrox do all the time and state he doesn't waste a ball, when Barisic does its people say he is not forward thinking enough or confident.
The player cannot win.

I wish Barasic would stop the crosses coming into our box from his side because that will kill us against better quality opposition. Agree he had a decent second half last night.

He was lacking in confidence first half and although don’t of his passing was frustrating, he never gave the ball away. He played his way into the game and ended up doing well.

Half the battle is that the fans are on him straight away.

At times he had nothing in front of him so played a pass to keep possession, the fans get on his back. Tav plays the same ball and it’s a round of applause.

All I’ll say is that I’m absolutely delighted we have Ridvan. I’ve seen enough from Borna for one lifetime.

He doesn't need to do mazy runs, he should be capable of passing forwards, maybe skipping by a player, playing a one-two inwards to space to take a player with him.

It isn't just down to him, Lawrence and Kent need to move a lot as well. But let's not kid ourselves that Barisic was instructed to shite it anytime he got into their half and hand it right back to our centre back rather than trying a pass through their lines.

Big Souness' Moustache will be along to tell you you're only a "so called Rangers fan" in a minute. Can't say anything negative about a player who constantly flatters to deceive.

How many times did he give the ball away?

Only defender tonight not to practically pass the ball to one of their forwards.

Wasn’t great the first half but you’ve got to at least acknowledge that he done stuff well

If that's the barometer then it's a very low one.

You could get any competent full back to get the ball, turn inside and pass to the centre back. That's why pass completion stats without context don't mean much at all if every pass is a simple 5 yard one under no pressure.

Have never seen a player ever so wildly from poor to great and back again in the space of a half. Confidence is the key. You could see him get visibly rattled in the first half when the crowd got restless every time he checked back. Then in the 2nd half he produced the goods and acted like a leader.

To be fair to him, Kent never seemed to make himself available for the run in behind and so it wasn’t just him in that left hand side

You could get any competent full back to get the ball, turn inside and pass to the centre back. That's why pass completion stats without context don't mean much at all if every pass is a simple 5 yard one under no pressure.
How many goals did he set up?

Must have missed when 2 of his crosses got us goals.

I’m not his biggest fan, but last night there is absolutely no need to criticise him. You’re making up utter shite just for the sake of it.

Barasic didn't have much on last night. Kent hugged the touchline and and was always doubled up on and no one in the first half was running the channels. Anytime Kent did take the ball, he was showed inside and more often than not just run into a brick wall. Last night, according to many, Goldson was shite, Borna shite, Sands was a bombscare, Tav was off it, Colak should do more, bring Shagger back yada yada yada yet we horsed this supposedly very well organised team 3-0. Strange game indeed

He is a smashing player who goes through streaks of quite bizarre sets of form. He really struggled, then scored that free kick against St Mirren and was a different player for about 18 months, struggled with his injury pre-Euros and that hampered all of last season for him. It is frustrating only because we all see how good he can be, but I think once Yilmaz settles in Scotland, Borna won’t get the opportunity to be inconsistent any more. I really like the guy and when he is in the mood he would take on the world, other times he just looks timid, it really is odd.

Barasic didn't have much on last night. Kent hugged the touchline and and was always doubled up on and no one in the first half was running the channels. Anytime Kent did take the ball, he was showed inside and more often than not just run into a brick wall. Last night, according to many, Goldson was shite, Borna shite, Sands was a bombscare, Tav was off it, Colak should do more, bring Shagger back yada yada yada yet we horsed this supposedly very well organised team 3-0. Strange game indeed

They were pretty poor that team I thought, but it is really hard break down a team that just plays 2 banks of 5 across the park. Problem for me last night, especially in the first half was that Kent kept on the touch line, and as you said was constantly shown inside into traffic where there were 2 or 3 players waiting for him.

I wouldn’t really take notice of what people in the match thread think of players.

Back