Barry Ferguson Piece on Billy Gilmour

I wish we would have used Fleck properly when he was with us, it's taken him years to recover back to playing in his natural role and he now looks every bit the real deal. BF is right to expect that he will play in the Premier League soon and to be honest, I'd expect him to be a classier operator than likes of MacArthur (although maybe question if he has the legs to be truly effective in that league which is full of world class athletes).

Billy Gilmour does look a real talent, despite what we say about the Chelsea first team etc, the lad is getting a better football education, surrounded by the best young players assembled from around Europe than we could have offered him at this stage in his development. Even if he doesn't get in the Chelsea team and leaves to go somewhere else, you wouldn't bet against him then signing for one of the top clubs further down the line as seems to happen so often with young lads from top EPL academies.

I'm sorry mate but his natural position was out wide. I played against him countless times from about under 13s all the way up to reserves and he was normally playing left mid.

I'm sorry mate but his natural position was out wide. I played against him countless times from about under 13s all the way up to reserves and he was normally playing left mid.

no it wasn't, and it doesn't matter if you played against when 13...he should have been played central, he was hung out to dry in our problem position

One of his better pieces.

Good insight into Fleck.

Pretty honest assessment and fairly striking he wasn’t taken to Peru.

The main bit is fine but why does Barry have to question how hard the club tried to keep him? The club bent over backwards to try and keep Billy but the money and the opportunity at Chelsea made him go there.

What's wrong with that bit? He's saying he doesn't know what happened. Ffs there's always something isn't there?

I think anyone with half a brain knew he was being courted by Chelsea before his 16th birthday it was well documented before Caxihina came that Rangers wanted to play him to increase his value/compensation ......the bit in the paper makes out that Rangers very lazy in trying to retain him , I feel the article didn't need that bit

So you're correct in regard to the media " there's always something "

Doesnt make it his natural position. He doesn't have the pace to be a winger.

FWIW I think Gilmore made the correct decision for his development.

As much as I am really impressed with what we are doing at the academy and exited for how things are developing, we are very much playing catch up to Chelsea, Man City and a few others. To give him the best chance to become a top player and fulfill his potential Chelsea made sense.

What I would say though is when he does fulfill his potential and considered the best player in the world then he should see out his contract come home and play for a nominal amount of cash :D Its what I would do!

The usual anti Rangers slant.... how anyone has any time for Ferguson nowadays is beyond me. The boy was offered a chance to develop at one of Europe's biggest clubs surrounded by the best of everything. From a selfish point of view I'm sad we lost him but the move will probably be the making of him. Down there away from all his pals who could potentially lead him down the wrong path he will be surrounded by boys looking to make it as an athlete, hopefully that rubs off on the boy and he makes the most of his undoubted talent.
No chance that was anti rangers ffs.

A think wee barry has been doing a bit of shagging because everytime he opens his mouth NO MATTER how good or positive it may be some on here react like they once caught him with his d.ck in thier burds lady's front bottom man......FFS GIVE IT A REST.

Ferguson was a Def mid though mate maybe not a sexy enough position. It's probably frightening the amount of young talent we wasted then.
Regardless of the lack of hype he was easily the best player of all of them. Obviously too soon to include Gilmour in comparisons.

He's probably the best player to come out of our academy for the last 20 years.

Got to say The kid was miles ahead of every other Scottish player on the pitch, he knows what he is going to do before any other player and most of the time they are to stupid to read what he was going to do. He looks a proper superstar in the making.
The problem he has at Chelsea is even if he has world class potential he may not even get a chance to show it. I hope we get him on loan for three seasons.

Is Fleck one we should be looking at I wonder? He'll be what, 26/27 by now?
We missed the boat not going for him when he left Coventry, he did really well there and was at a great age to bring back, some suggested it on here but it got the standard/default, don't bring old players back ( o_O ) response

I’d disagree with this.. he was best playing more central as an attacking midfielder. He did play out wide left a lot when he was younger I’ll agree with that but the more he went through the age groups the more central he got. For me he was more natural driving through the middle and making things happen. Wouldn’t surprise me at all if he came back one day. Would walk into the team.

Wouldn't surprise me if he came to us on loan for a season when he's 18/19 if he's not in and around the Chelsea first team by then.

Having watched the boy on Chelsea tv playing against bigger and stronger players got no doubt he will play at best level. Sticks out like a sore thumb runs the games great player.

I really rate Gilmour. Every time I've seen him he's been absolutely class. The composure for such a young player is unreal. I've no doubt he will end up being one of the best Scottish midfielders of this generation. That's how high I rate him! Still gutted we lost him to Chelsea.

I watched the u21 game the other night and Gilmour really is a fantastic talent, always seemed to have time and space, very composed on the ball, similar to what Barry Ferguson was like as a player. Be interesting to see his development and whether he meets the undoubted potential he has, i certainly hope he does. You never know a year or two down the line it may be us that will be getting him on loan for a season.

As much as FF love to criticise I think we can all agree we would cut off an arm to have a 22/23 year old BF right now...

In 10 years time the boy will have done nothing, another media darling that they only highlight the few good things he does.

Possibly you may well be right, on the other hand he may go on to be real star in the EPL,he has the talent no question about that. The lure of Chelsea and top flight football would have been hard to resist, let's face it the boy will be playing at a much higher level than we could offer. I wish young Billy all the success in the world.

As much as FF love to criticise I think we can all agree we would cut off an arm to have a 22/23 year old BF right now...
That goes without saying, Scottish football hasn’t produced a midfielder of his quality since he first broke through 20 years ago. He was a cracking player in his day, only a couple of really nasty injuries stopped him from being even better in my opinion.

Ferguson has a newspaper column.
He is an ex captain of Rangers and a club legend.
He could have written an opinion piece regarding the possible corruption inside the Scottish football authorities.
He could have opined that Rangers are right to have concerns.
Instead he wrote an article for 'Shoot' readers!
Laughable.

Why does he feel the need to throw in the negative "don't know how Hard Rangers tried to keep him", he's just stated he doesn't know so why comment.

the rumour I heard at the time was billy Gilmour was actually offered £10 000 a week to stay at rangers if true then we definitely tried to keep him that's a big amount of dough for a 16 year old

You said it a rumour with £8K added to make it sound better

That goes without saying, Scottish football hasn’t produced a midfielder of his quality since he first broke through 20 years ago. He was a cracking player in his day, only a couple of really nasty injuries stopped him from being even better in my opinion.
Scott Brown?

no it wasn't, and it doesn't matter if you played against when 13...he should have been played central, he was hung out to dry in our problem position
He wasn’t hung out to dry, ffs.
No, I don’t believe he was played in his best position but, who would you have dropped to play him in centre midfield?
Ferguson, Mendez, Davis, Hemdani, Thomson?

Back