Barry Hearn

roscow_dynamo

A few years ago he had a good laugh at the state of Scottish football. I don't remember him offering up any innovative ideas, but if he did now what would he come up with?

- England has a community shield. The winner of the spfl could invite the English championship winner up for a home game as a season opener. It would help gauge the competitiveness of the leagues.

- Talk of a '39th' game has cropped up again for the EPL. Given they are so far ahead of every other league commercially they probably don't actually need to do something like that. With other leagues trying to compete with them I can see Spain or Italy going down this road. We have 4 old firm league games, play 2 of them abroad Usa, Oz

- The SWPL, merge with WSL in England. I've don't know if that was even considered over the last few years of the emergence of Women's football. I don't see the same barrier with this as the men's game.

Don't forget these are ideas to try to grow Scottish football. Have you got any?

From recollection; he was asked to speak at some event by them and tore them apart for having no vision and no ambition. Don’t think he had a laugh about it.

If the guys who run our game had any clue, they’d have hired him on the spot.

Last edited:
From recollection; he was asked to speak at some event by them and tore them apart for having not vision and no ambition. Don’t think he had a laugh about it.

If the guys who run our game had any clue, they have hired him on the spot.
Was he not looking at taking over?

With more Euro games coming in I can see the League Cup being scrapped.
Get rid of Sunday midday kickoff that you can't get to unless driving.
Have a 4 team charity shield tournament alternating between Hampden and Wembley to start the season.
Witthe lack of away tickets, maybe play one if our Hearts or Aberdeen away games in New York.

With more Euro games coming in I can see the League Cup being scrapped.
Get rid of Sunday midday kickoff that you can't get to unless driving.
Have a 4 team charity shield tournament alternating between Hampden and Wembley to start the season.
Witthe lack of away tickets, maybe play one if our Hearts or Aberdeen away games in New York.
I think other scottish teams would have something to say about that

A root and branch reform of refereeing (this is includes VAR). With the head of refereeing being someone appointed from abroad. Foreign refs for Cup finals and Old Firm games. Let's stop playing with house rules and actually attempt to come more in line with our European compatriots and actually punish violent or underhanded behaviour.

Introduce B teams. With the trade off being an expanded top flight and championship. To make up for the a potential drop in OF games, introduce a community shield.

As an expansion on the point above. Maybe the OF should be required to field their B teams in the League Cup, with a limited amount of senior players being allowed in each squad per round. Could potentially help ease the pressure on us as we compete in Europe.

Relegation play offs should be one off games, like Cup finals. We need to stop rewarding mediocrity and start rewarding teams striving to do better.

Blanket bans on plastic pitches in the top division. With an emphasis being placed on having pitches in better condition.

At least 1 out of the potential 5 subs, should be an academy prospect or a player under the age of 21 years old. Clubs who promote and play youth players should be compensated for doing so. If you play more youth, you should get additional prize money.

This has the potential to be deeply unpopular, however semi professional sides, should not have a vote on important business decisions. Clubs like ourselves and others, should not be hamstrung by teams that have zero designs on being at the elite levels of European football.

Nobody in the USA or Australia would give a toss about having an Old Firm game there apart from those who already follow the clubs.

How is that supposed to grow the league?
The airlines and local police would be thrilled with thousands of Old Firm fans all heading to the same destination.

I've been to a few Rangers-celtc games in the US with mixed crowds and each time and inevitably, it was the supporters over from the UK who were the problem.

Nobody in the USA or Australia would give a toss about having an Old Firm game there apart from those who already follow the clubs.

How is that supposed to grow the league?
It would increase visibility and promote Scottish football. It could be financially lucrative for the organizers as it attracts a wider audience and sponsorship opportunities.

A root and branch reform of refereeing (this is includes VAR). With the head of refereeing being someone appointed from abroad. Foreign refs for Cup finals and Old Firm games. Let's stop playing with house rules and actually attempt to come more in line with our European compatriots and actually punish violent or underhanded behaviour.

Introduce B teams. With the trade off being an expanded top flight and championship. To make up for the a potential drop in OF games, introduce a community shield.

As an expansion on the point above. Maybe the OF should be required to field their B teams in the League Cup, with a limited amount of senior players being allowed in each squad per round. Could potentially help ease the pressure on us as we compete in Europe.

Relegation play offs should be one off games, like Cup finals. We need to stop rewarding mediocrity and start rewarding teams striving to do better.

Blanket bans on plastic pitches in the top division. With an emphasis being placed on having pitches in better condition.

At least 1 out of the potential 5 subs, should be an academy prospect or a player under the age of 21 years old. Clubs who promote and play youth players should be compensated for doing so. If you play more youth, you should get additional prize money.

This has the potential to be deeply unpopular, however semi professional sides, should not have a vote on important business decisions. Clubs like ourselves and others, should not be hamstrung by teams that have zero designs on being at the elite levels of European football.
The biggest thing that has to happen is that decision making needs to be taken away from the majority of Clubs and given to a “commissioner” type figure who is employed only for the betterment of the game. There is far too much self interest in our game, as highlighted by a few of the suggestions you have made.

5 league points for the League Cup Winners.

%^*& the Sky Deal and the league have their own TV deal showing all games.

Alcohol in stadiums.

To start with the every club's attitude need to change yes I get the self interest each club has that but if you are going make changes then make sure it works also needs the right corporate governance in place as well

Take broadcasting of matches this weekend one game in our title race isn't live because the broadcaster rights holder has only 1 pick left and only due to our own deal with that broadcaster are we getting to see the other game this weekend otherwise we wouldn't even see it as a PPV option within the UK

There is 228 Premiership matches and to be honest we should be shown them all as that is how you promote the League however the 2 biggest clubs hinder the broadcast deals for their own self interest

Away fans allocation big topic but again that is down to the self interest of these clubs and you need these club to sit up and really decide what is the right thing to do as if you cut them you need fans of that home club to turn up so make the game affordable as there is fans of these clubs out there

Last edited:
I'm sure I saw a interview, tv/radio or other.

And he was very positive about us. He said something along the lines of, you protect your crown jewels and golden nuggets. You polish them and nurture them, and use them as your biggest bargaining tool and use that to promote what you are selling.

If you do that, you cannot fail.

It was along those lines, and he more or less said what we know.

Bitter, petty hatred, from the email sending, letter writing, mass hysteria radio phone ins, etc. Committed financial, and sporting suicide.

The noisy minority more or less put scottish football back in the wilderness, and in reverse when other nations were all going forward.

You can definitely improve the league but the main issue of 2 teams being so far ahead of anyone else will always be the problem that you can’t fix unless heart, hibs or Aberdeen get proper backers and can compete.

Tbh I would love us to push to join another league of similar ambitious clubs. I’m fed up going to Ibrox watching us play against teams with zero ambition to improve

A few years ago he had a good laugh at the state of Scottish football. I don't remember him offering up any innovative ideas, but if he did now what would he come up with?

- England has a community shield. The winner of the spfl could invite the English championship winner up for a home game as a season opener. It would help gauge the competitiveness of the leagues.

- Talk of a '39th' game has cropped up again for the EPL. Given they are so far ahead of every other league commercially they probably don't actually need to do something like that. With other leagues trying to compete with them I can see Spain or Italy going down this road. We have 4 old firm league games, play 2 of them abroad Usa, Oz

- The SWPL, merge with WSL in England. I've don't know if that was even considered over the last few years of the emergence of Women's football. I don't see the same barrier with this as the men's game.

Don't forget these are ideas to try to grow Scottish football. Have you got any?
Glasgow City tried to join the English League years ago because at the time they felt Women's Football wasn't moving quickly enough for them in Scotland. The English FA stopped it happening I think it was 2013 they tried to move.

They could do simple things, like sell out their grounds when us or them, even sheep/hearts/hibs to lesser extent come to visit.

Have fans in the stands that face the main camera, make it look a bit more pleasing on the eye than empty stands. Killie put away fans (that bring small supports) in the back tier of the stand, it just looks like an empty stand.

Ban plastic pitches and make sure teams spend a percentage on their grass pitches, its a joke that one club had 1/3 of their home games cancelled.

Improve refs, protect players more, makes teams change how they play, it will help the likes of the sheep hearts etc if they play in europe.

Get rid of Doncaster.

Give weaker teams 0.5 goal starts, or 1 goal depending on how weak they are against the opposition.

Would be a laugh.

The woman’s game in Scotland is terrible barring the old firm and Glasgow city . They three regularly hammer teams in top division. So this would defo never happen

Old Firm games in the States? Jesus, you can't get on a Ryan Air flight to Spain these days but there's some Smelly on board wanting to fight everyone who looks his way, imaigne travelling with half a plane load of the cnuts!
Absolutely! I’m not in favour of giving them cnuts an IRA roadshow jolly and then for their filthy mhedia poodles to big their beloved club up and support as the most special and greatest in the world whilst taking snidey pot shots at us. You just KNOW that’s how it would go so ideas like that are a total non starter. It’s bad enough breathing the same air as these mutants in wide open spaces without being stuck on a NYC bound plane for 8hrs with a squad of them. F@ck no!

Back