Bazza - I Can No Longer Defend The Indefensible

BobbyShearer55-65

My Rangers prediction went horribly wrong and I just don’t know if I can defend them any more – Barry Ferguson

It’s getting difficult for me to defend Gers stars after they’ve thrown away their title advantage.

No one enjoys having to admit when they’ve got it wrong. So what I’m about to write won’t be easy.

But a couple of weeks ago I didn’t just make a mistake in this column - I ignored all my instincts and threw caution to the wind when I predicted Rangers would go into the post split fixtures five points clear at the top of the table and on their way to the title.

In my own defence, I did add that football does have a habit of biting you on the bum if you start taking anything for granted. So now here I am, with teeth marks all over my backside, trying to work out what the hell has just happened over the course of the last fortnight. And the truth of the matter is it’s getting very difficult for me to try to defend the indefensible where my old club’s recent results and performances are concerned.

Let’s just say I was almost lost for words on Wednesday when I watched them lose another two precious points in Dundee and it left me feeling so down that I struggled to get a decent night’s sleep. But, after a lot of tossing and turning, I woke up yesterday morning and gave myself a shake because, for as long as it’s still possible for Rangers to win this league, then supporters like myself have a responsibility to back the team through difficult moments such as these.

There’s no point drooping your shoulders and allowing your bottom lip to drag along the ground. Not when there’s a Scottish Cup semi-final against Hearts around the corner and the chance to get the whole season back on track. And that’s the message I’d be hammering home to these players if I was inside the training ground over the next 48 hours.

But, like the fans who made the journey to Dens Park the other night and who vented their anger on the final whistle, I must admit that even my own patience is starting to wear a bit thin. I’d imagine Philippe Clement will be feeling much the same way. Because, having worked so hard for so long to drag themselves back into the thick of a title fight, Rangers are now in danger of allowing the season to slip through their fingers. And that’s simply not good enough.

It also raises a lot of unwanted questions about the mentality of some of these guys and about the strength of their character and desire. Every man and his dog have had something to say about it over the last 48 hours. Are they prepared to go that extra mile and fight and scratch for the badge on their chest? Or do they not really have the stomach for it?

I personally didn’t have any doubts about it but, yes, the way they have performed over the last couple of weeks has left me scratching my head and wondering if some of these guys truly understand how privileged they are to be pulling on that shirt. Or if they’re not really all that bothered.

The good news is we’ll soon find out because there will be absolutely no hiding place for any of them over the remaining weeks of the campaign. We’re all about to see in front of our own eyes how much - or how little - it means to them. The first 45 minutes against Celtic can be dismissed as a bit of a freak. As I learned myself, strange things can happen on Old Firm day. That they dug deep and clawed their way back to earn a 3-3 draw from the derby restored a sense of confidence.

But to follow that up with the kind of lacklustre performances they’ve produced at Ross County and Dundee? At such a monumentally important stage in the season? I honestly can’t get my head around it. The only positive thing I can say in their favour is that their destiny is still in their own hands. They still have the chance to show that they do deserve to be champions. But, instead of making it easy for themselves, they’re going to have to do it the most difficult way imaginable.

Not only will they have to beat Celtic at Parkhead on May 11 but they’re also going to have to score more goals than them and maybe hope for someone else to do them a turn or two along the way. And that’s a horrible position for them to find themselves in when they should have been in a commanding position going into the final stretch.

Having been in this situation myself on a couple of occasions I know the stress levels involved in trying to win a title which might come down to goal difference on the final day. We managed it in 2003 when we beat Dunfermline 6-1 on the last day of the season when Celtic could only score four away at Kilmarnock.

So he ignored his instincts to say we would be 5 clear, so his instinct was that we wouldn't be 5 clear?
Who writes this p1sh?

My Rangers prediction went horribly wrong and I just don’t know if I can defend them any more – Barry Ferguson

It’s getting difficult for me to defend Gers stars after they’ve thrown away their title advantage.

No one enjoys having to admit when they’ve got it wrong. So what I’m about to write won’t be easy.

But a couple of weeks ago I didn’t just make a mistake in this column - I ignored all my instincts and threw caution to the wind when I predicted Rangers would go into the post split fixtures five points clear at the top of the table and on their way to the title.

In my own defence, I did add that football does have a habit of biting you on the bum if you start taking anything for granted. So now here I am, with teeth marks all over my backside, trying to work out what the hell has just happened over the course of the last fortnight. And the truth of the matter is it’s getting very difficult for me to try to defend the indefensible where my old club’s recent results and performances are concerned.

Let’s just say I was almost lost for words on Wednesday when I watched them lose another two precious points in Dundee and it left me feeling so down that I struggled to get a decent night’s sleep. But, after a lot of tossing and turning, I woke up yesterday morning and gave myself a shake because, for as long as it’s still possible for Rangers to win this league, then supporters like myself have a responsibility to back the team through difficult moments such as these.

There’s no point drooping your shoulders and allowing your bottom lip to drag along the ground. Not when there’s a Scottish Cup semi-final against Hearts around the corner and the chance to get the whole season back on track. And that’s the message I’d be hammering home to these players if I was inside the training ground over the next 48 hours.

But, like the fans who made the journey to Dens Park the other night and who vented their anger on the final whistle, I must admit that even my own patience is starting to wear a bit thin. I’d imagine Philippe Clement will be feeling much the same way. Because, having worked so hard for so long to drag themselves back into the thick of a title fight, Rangers are now in danger of allowing the season to slip through their fingers. And that’s simply not good enough.

It also raises a lot of unwanted questions about the mentality of some of these guys and about the strength of their character and desire. Every man and his dog have had something to say about it over the last 48 hours. Are they prepared to go that extra mile and fight and scratch for the badge on their chest? Or do they not really have the stomach for it?

I personally didn’t have any doubts about it but, yes, the way they have performed over the last couple of weeks has left me scratching my head and wondering if some of these guys truly understand how privileged they are to be pulling on that shirt. Or if they’re not really all that bothered.

The good news is we’ll soon find out because there will be absolutely no hiding place for any of them over the remaining weeks of the campaign. We’re all about to see in front of our own eyes how much - or how little - it means to them. The first 45 minutes against Celtic can be dismissed as a bit of a freak. As I learned myself, strange things can happen on Old Firm day. That they dug deep and clawed their way back to earn a 3-3 draw from the derby restored a sense of confidence.

But to follow that up with the kind of lacklustre performances they’ve produced at Ross County and Dundee? At such a monumentally important stage in the season? I honestly can’t get my head around it. The only positive thing I can say in their favour is that their destiny is still in their own hands. They still have the chance to show that they do deserve to be champions. But, instead of making it easy for themselves, they’re going to have to do it the most difficult way imaginable.

Not only will they have to beat Celtic at Parkhead on May 11 but they’re also going to have to score more goals than them and maybe hope for someone else to do them a turn or two along the way. And that’s a horrible position for them to find themselves in when they should have been in a commanding position going into the final stretch.

Having been in this situation myself on a couple of occasions I know the stress levels involved in trying to win a title which might come down to goal difference on the final day. We managed it in 2003 when we beat Dunfermline 6-1 on the last day of the season when Celtic could only score four away at Kilmarnock.
Things that didn't happen.

Nae bother Barry.

Wasn’t Barry captain when we lost the league to O’Neill’s Celtic by about 20 points, two seasons running?

If only he’d done more Captaining we’d have won them, or something.

Still find it a bit strange that Barry actually only won one league title as captain.

No denying he was a super captain first time around when he matured into the role but second time around we collapsed three times v Strachan and Walter stripped him of the captaincy and dropped him for the run in in 08/09 and actually made us a better team for it.

Wasn’t Barry captain when we lost the league to O’Neill’s Celtic by about 20 points, two seasons running?

The question about this team isn't purely ability. I think they have the ability to win this league. The teams you're speaking of didn't.

It's when the race is close that you find your winners and losers. Didn't Ferguson win the league on the last day, twice?

That's the difference between big players, big leaders and what we have now.

Was it that he shouted too much, or does even his legendary moaning not actually make a difference?

The question about this team isn't purely ability. I think they have the ability to win this league. The teams you're speaking of didn't.

It's when the race is close that you find your winners and losers. Didn't Ferguson win the league on the last day, twice?

Well that’s the interesting point.

In 02/03 remember the Dens Park 3-3 game? We missed two penalties!

That 1-1 draw at Ibrox against ICT in 04/05 that we all thought killed off our chances. Then the defeat by Celtic at Ibrox.

Bumps in the road along the way to legendary title wins, despite the team getting called for all sorts.

I’m not reading that but agree with those who say we are badly missing someone with his ability and character in the team. We definitely don’t have any REAL leaders in the outfield positions. We hardly even have any born and bred bears about the club anymore, young McCausland and that’s about it. It’s absolutely appalling!

Not as captain no. Once he did. We also lost it on the last day in 2008.

He also captained us to 3rd in 2006.

I love Barry btw. But there's some amount of captain revisionism going on and there's a bit of mental gymnastics needed when people have these facts about previous captains (including John Greigs stint) pointed out to them.

People have decided its because of the captain and not because the recruitment and team just isn't as good as we've had in the past and that's that.

We also finished 3rd when he was captain.

Edit - Just seen its been mentioned already.

Cause he’s not the sharpest tool in the box.

Doesn’t detract from him being a terrific captain, and player with ability levels our current squad could only dream of.

The hatred of him by some is just weird.
I guess my issue is he was a football player. Is anyone really expecting him to be a member of Mensa. Most ex player pundits aren't the brightest. I just don't get the hate for trying to do a job after his career is over.

Why do people keep saying its in our own hands? Its not, we can only draw level which means we are relying on teams keeping Celtics scoring down and teams crumbling against us. Its far from in our own hands. If we beat Celtic, its really in the lap of the gods not ours.

Still find it a bit strange that Barry actually only won one league title as captain.

No denying he was a super captain first time around when he matured into the role but second time around we collapsed three times v Strachan and Walter stripped him of the captaincy and dropped him for the run in in 08/09 and actually made us a better team for it.

Maybe there’s a lesson about changing captains we should’ve learnt from?

So much is said effort etc but the tactics seem to be going under the radar, and the team selections. So little creativity happening of late, so what is the reason for that?

Why do people keep saying its in our own hands? Its not, we can only draw level which means we are relying on teams keeping Celtics scoring down and teams crumbling against us. Its far from in our own hands. If we beat Celtic, its really in the lap of the gods not ours.
It’s still in our own hands, win all the games and score more than them in the process, however unlikely.

Why do people hate Barry so much. I don't get it. Genuinely asking
I don't hate him at all. He's one of the best players to play at Rangers since the turn of the century. Made some poor decisions with his career. I think he could have played at the very highest level. The move to Blackburn was a bad decision. The injury he got there hampered him. It worked out well for Rangers I guess because he came back and had a degree of success. But I think he could have played in any team in the world. Should have waited for the right move.
He might not be the sharpest but he loves Rangers. No problems with him here.

What a load of shite :D

Treble winner, European finalist and fifteen trophies. You're allowed bad seasons when you deliver like that. This squad of chancers deserve nothing but chased.

It's in our hands to score more goals than them. It's incredibly unlikely but that's not the point.

I don’t know how anyone could criticise Barry Fergusons winning credentials, even when he was captain. He drove the team on and inspired others to higher levels also who could forget how he’s dragged us to a magnificent Scottish Cup win against O’Neil’s thugs. People have short memories.

Comparing Barry Ferguson the player to some of these current charlatans is pretty funny

Not a player in current squad even close to being able to lace his boots

The thing is though mate I don't think anyone is comparing the player. They are showing that even a supposed epitome of a Rangers captain doesn't change teams who aren't good enough being able to win.

We don't have a player close to Fergusons ability in our current team.

But Greig was captain during Celtics 9 I'm a row.

Gough was captain as we blew 10 in a row.

Ferguson was captain for only one league win and captained us to 3rd.

They all, also and more importantly, achieved a great deal for the club. But then it's a team game and they were in good teams also.

It's not all the bed of roses people think it was under these great captains and all were better on pitch captains than our current one. All of them played in better Rangers teams than the current captain has though.

Like I've said in a million threads, you put Goughs leadership into Tavernier and it doesn't stop the players making the errors they are. It's the quality of the player that's the issue.

But people have decided to pin it on the captain and that's that for some people. I worry for us next year with a new captain and most of the same dross churning out the same bad results. We need better recruitment and better players.

I should add btw that I'd probably move Tav on in the summer to bring freshness. But its very lazy the way people have decided its the captain and that's that.

Back