Bazza - I Can No Longer Defend The Indefensible

Barry would have them crying in a corner. Can you imagine Todd on Insta greeting about how Barry treated him? We’ve signed a bunch of absolute charlatan shitebags.
Can't wait for the new Ford Cortina to be launched and finding out who shot JR!
The game has moved on, when I was an apprentice my tradesman decked me for melting his Kit kat next to a hot pie, it doesn't work like that now. Don't get me wrong it never caused me any harm and I never ran crying but the world is a different place, if you think making people cry in corners will win us a title all the best.

If only we had a player of Barry’s quality and dig in our team.

My Rangers prediction went horribly wrong and I just don’t know if I can defend them any more – Barry Ferguson

It’s getting difficult for me to defend Gers stars after they’ve thrown away their title advantage.

No one enjoys having to admit when they’ve got it wrong. So what I’m about to write won’t be easy.

But a couple of weeks ago I didn’t just make a mistake in this column - I ignored all my instincts and threw caution to the wind when I predicted Rangers would go into the post split fixtures five points clear at the top of the table and on their way to the title.

In my own defence, I did add that football does have a habit of biting you on the bum if you start taking anything for granted. So now here I am, with teeth marks all over my backside, trying to work out what the hell has just happened over the course of the last fortnight. And the truth of the matter is it’s getting very difficult for me to try to defend the indefensible where my old club’s recent results and performances are concerned.

Let’s just say I was almost lost for words on Wednesday when I watched them lose another two precious points in Dundee and it left me feeling so down that I struggled to get a decent night’s sleep. But, after a lot of tossing and turning, I woke up yesterday morning and gave myself a shake because, for as long as it’s still possible for Rangers to win this league, then supporters like myself have a responsibility to back the team through difficult moments such as these.

There’s no point drooping your shoulders and allowing your bottom lip to drag along the ground. Not when there’s a Scottish Cup semi-final against Hearts around the corner and the chance to get the whole season back on track. And that’s the message I’d be hammering home to these players if I was inside the training ground over the next 48 hours.

But, like the fans who made the journey to Dens Park the other night and who vented their anger on the final whistle, I must admit that even my own patience is starting to wear a bit thin. I’d imagine Philippe Clement will be feeling much the same way. Because, having worked so hard for so long to drag themselves back into the thick of a title fight, Rangers are now in danger of allowing the season to slip through their fingers. And that’s simply not good enough.

It also raises a lot of unwanted questions about the mentality of some of these guys and about the strength of their character and desire. Every man and his dog have had something to say about it over the last 48 hours. Are they prepared to go that extra mile and fight and scratch for the badge on their chest? Or do they not really have the stomach for it?

I personally didn’t have any doubts about it but, yes, the way they have performed over the last couple of weeks has left me scratching my head and wondering if some of these guys truly understand how privileged they are to be pulling on that shirt. Or if they’re not really all that bothered.

The good news is we’ll soon find out because there will be absolutely no hiding place for any of them over the remaining weeks of the campaign. We’re all about to see in front of our own eyes how much - or how little - it means to them. The first 45 minutes against Celtic can be dismissed as a bit of a freak. As I learned myself, strange things can happen on Old Firm day. That they dug deep and clawed their way back to earn a 3-3 draw from the derby restored a sense of confidence.

But to follow that up with the kind of lacklustre performances they’ve produced at Ross County and Dundee? At such a monumentally important stage in the season? I honestly can’t get my head around it. The only positive thing I can say in their favour is that their destiny is still in their own hands. They still have the chance to show that they do deserve to be champions. But, instead of making it easy for themselves, they’re going to have to do it the most difficult way imaginable.

Not only will they have to beat Celtic at Parkhead on May 11 but they’re also going to have to score more goals than them and maybe hope for someone else to do them a turn or two along the way. And that’s a horrible position for them to find themselves in when they should have been in a commanding position going into the final stretch.

Having been in this situation myself on a couple of occasions I know the stress levels involved in trying to win a title which might come down to goal difference on the final day. We managed it in 2003 when we beat Dunfermline 6-1 on the last day of the season when Celtic could only score four away at Kilmarnock.
Barry was a winner. You could see how much passion he had when he played and captained the team.
He demanded absolutely everything from his teammates.

Something our present leader has never possessed.

04/05

A Livvy CB, Andrews was good that season, but he wasn't a great football player by any means

Vignal at LB a completely average football player, literally done nothing throughout his career

Bob Malcolm, Maurice Ross, Namouchi, Steven Thompson all with over 14 appearances.

One of the standout players of the side lost during the season.

That squad was riddled with absolute rubbish, there was an endless list of excuses for that team not winning the league.

From the 2nd January till the end of the season they dropped points in 3 games, we just dropped points in 3 games in the space of 10 days

Regardless of everyone's opinions on him, Ferguson was an outstanding player and a born winner.

We would be significantly better if we had a player and captain of his calibre.
We would be significantly better if we had him as a player. He's the most talented Scottish player of the last 30 years, and exactly the sort of midfielder we need but can't afford.

But he's one of the worst dressing room cancers I can remember at Rangers in my lifetime. Led one of the factions that fractured the most expensive and talented Rangers squad I've seen into complete disfunction, bullied young players, constantly embarrassed the club by acting like a ned, publicly undermined his manager, constantly leaked stories to the media, decided advanced nutrition meant "Monster Munch", and eventually stripped of captaincy and booted out the club by Walter Smith because he couldn't trust him.

Don't always agree with Ferguson, but agree with pretty much all of that.

And this part is well worth noting.

.......gave myself a shake because, for as long as it’s still possible for Rangers to win this league, then supporters like myself have a responsibility to back the team through difficult moments such as these

04/05

A Livvy CB, Andrews was good that season, but he wasn't a great football player by any means

Vignal at LB a completely average football player, literally done nothing throughout his career

Bob Malcolm, Maurice Ross, Namouchi, Steven Thompson all with over 14 appearances.

That squad was riddled with absolute rubbish, there was an endless list of excuses for that team not winning the league.

From the 2nd January till the end of the season they dropped points in 3 games, we just dropped points in 3 games in the space of 10 days
And the captain was Fernando Ricksen so not sure how relevant this is.

We would be significantly better if we had him as a player. He's the most talented Scottish player of the last 30 years, and exactly the sort of midfielder we need but can't afford.

But he's one of the worst dressing room cancers I can remember at Rangers in my lifetime. Led one of the factions that fractured the most expensive and talented Rangers squad I've seen into complete disfunction, bullied young players, constantly embarrassed the club by acting like a ned, publicly undermined his manager, constantly leaked stories to the media, decided advanced nutrition meant "Monster Munch", and eventually stripped of captaincy and booted out the club by Walter Smith because he couldn't trust him.
Which young players did he bully, out of interest?

Your miles off here but entitled to your opinion.

Got to laugh at the fanboys on here drawing comparisons to how our current captain is viewed by the majority of the support, trying to denigrate Ferguson and lower him to Taverniers level. I can only assume theyre too young to have seen Ferguson for Rangers. Just so they're aware, Tavernier couldn't lace Ferguson's boots as a player or a leader.

Got to laugh at the fanboys on here drawing comparisons to how our current captain is viewed by the majority of the support, trying to denigrate Ferguson and lower him to Taverniers level. I can only assume theyre too young to have seen Ferguson for Rangers. Just so they're aware, Tavernier couldn't lace Ferguson's boots as a player or a leader.

They must be younger fans who never seen a proper Rangers Captain.

Ferguson would have Tav in a heap shitting his pants in that dressing room.

Why do people hate Barry so much. I don't get it. Genuinely asking
His years as a pundit on Go Radio and the Record have tainted many people’s memories of him.

It’s important to separate Ferguson the pundit from Ferguson the player, and those who seen him in his prime for us will always remember what a superb player he was for us.

He was a different player when he returned for the second spell, far more defensive and less inclined to break the lines and go beyond the strikers to score, but still a cracking midfielder.

Who said anything about that?

It's OK it's not about Tavernier all the time, you don't have to protect him

Who mentioned Tavernier? I was confused why you picked a season where Ferguson wasn't the captain on a thread about Ferguson so didn't see the relevance. If you'd picked 2002/03, then it woulda been relevant.

The thing is though mate I don't think anyone is comparing the player. They are showing that even a supposed epitome of a Rangers captain doesn't change teams who aren't good enough being able to win.

We don't have a player close to Fergusons ability in our current team.

But Greig was captain during Celtics 9 I'm a row.

Gough was captain as we blew 10 in a row.

Ferguson was captain for only one league win and captained us to 3rd.

They all, also and more importantly, achieved a great deal for the club. But then it's a team game and they were in good teams also.

It's not all the bed of roses people think it was under these great captains and all were better on pitch captains than our current one. All of them played in better Rangers teams than the current captain has though.

Like I've said in a million threads, you put Goughs leadership into Tavernier and it doesn't stop the players making the errors they are. It's the quality of the player that's the issue.

But people have decided to pin it on the captain and that's that for some people. I worry for us next year with a new captain and most of the same dross churning out the same bad results. We need better recruitment and better players.

I should add btw that I'd probably move Tav on in the summer to bring freshness. But its very lazy the way people have decided its the captain and that's that.
A rare rational post.

Who mentioned Tavernier? I was confused why you picked a season where Ferguson wasn't the captain on a thread about Ferguson so didn't see the relevance. If you'd picked 2002/03, then it woulda been relevant.

Did Barry Ferguson not play for us that season?

I am pretty sure he did, you going to tell me he didn't?

You are paranoid.....it's nothing to do with Tavernier.

His years as a pundit on Go Radio and the Record have tainted many people’s memories of him.
Almost any ex-Ranger who has gone into media in some capacity has received similar abuse. Kris Boyd is probably one of the only ones to largely escape it.

The thing is though mate I don't think anyone is comparing the player. They are showing that even a supposed epitome of a Rangers captain doesn't change teams who aren't good enough being able to win.

We don't have a player close to Fergusons ability in our current team.

But Greig was captain during Celtics 9 I'm a row.

Gough was captain as we blew 10 in a row.

Ferguson was captain for only one league win and captained us to 3rd.

They all, also and more importantly, achieved a great deal for the club. But then it's a team game and they were in good teams also.

It's not all the bed of roses people think it was under these great captains and all were better on pitch captains than our current one. All of them played in better Rangers teams than the current captain has though.

Like I've said in a million threads, you put Goughs leadership into Tavernier and it doesn't stop the players making the errors they are. It's the quality of the player that's the issue.

But people have decided to pin it on the captain and that's that for some people. I worry for us next year with a new captain and most of the same dross churning out the same bad results. We need better recruitment and better players.

I should add btw that I'd probably move Tav on in the summer to bring freshness. But its very lazy the way people have decided its the captain and that's that.

I can’t see anywhere in that article where he mentions the captain of the club specifically or call him out

Interesting Tav fans see it as such

My Rangers prediction went horribly wrong and I just don’t know if I can defend them any more – Barry Ferguson

It’s getting difficult for me to defend Gers stars after they’ve thrown away their title advantage.

No one enjoys having to admit when they’ve got it wrong. So what I’m about to write won’t be easy.

But a couple of weeks ago I didn’t just make a mistake in this column - I ignored all my instincts and threw caution to the wind when I predicted Rangers would go into the post split fixtures five points clear at the top of the table and on their way to the title.

In my own defence, I did add that football does have a habit of biting you on the bum if you start taking anything for granted. So now here I am, with teeth marks all over my backside, trying to work out what the hell has just happened over the course of the last fortnight. And the truth of the matter is it’s getting very difficult for me to try to defend the indefensible where my old club’s recent results and performances are concerned.

Let’s just say I was almost lost for words on Wednesday when I watched them lose another two precious points in Dundee and it left me feeling so down that I struggled to get a decent night’s sleep. But, after a lot of tossing and turning, I woke up yesterday morning and gave myself a shake because, for as long as it’s still possible for Rangers to win this league, then supporters like myself have a responsibility to back the team through difficult moments such as these.

There’s no point drooping your shoulders and allowing your bottom lip to drag along the ground. Not when there’s a Scottish Cup semi-final against Hearts around the corner and the chance to get the whole season back on track. And that’s the message I’d be hammering home to these players if I was inside the training ground over the next 48 hours.

But, like the fans who made the journey to Dens Park the other night and who vented their anger on the final whistle, I must admit that even my own patience is starting to wear a bit thin. I’d imagine Philippe Clement will be feeling much the same way. Because, having worked so hard for so long to drag themselves back into the thick of a title fight, Rangers are now in danger of allowing the season to slip through their fingers. And that’s simply not good enough.

It also raises a lot of unwanted questions about the mentality of some of these guys and about the strength of their character and desire. Every man and his dog have had something to say about it over the last 48 hours. Are they prepared to go that extra mile and fight and scratch for the badge on their chest? Or do they not really have the stomach for it?

I personally didn’t have any doubts about it but, yes, the way they have performed over the last couple of weeks has left me scratching my head and wondering if some of these guys truly understand how privileged they are to be pulling on that shirt. Or if they’re not really all that bothered.

The good news is we’ll soon find out because there will be absolutely no hiding place for any of them over the remaining weeks of the campaign. We’re all about to see in front of our own eyes how much - or how little - it means to them. The first 45 minutes against Celtic can be dismissed as a bit of a freak. As I learned myself, strange things can happen on Old Firm day. That they dug deep and clawed their way back to earn a 3-3 draw from the derby restored a sense of confidence.

But to follow that up with the kind of lacklustre performances they’ve produced at Ross County and Dundee? At such a monumentally important stage in the season? I honestly can’t get my head around it. The only positive thing I can say in their favour is that their destiny is still in their own hands. They still have the chance to show that they do deserve to be champions. But, instead of making it easy for themselves, they’re going to have to do it the most difficult way imaginable.

Not only will they have to beat Celtic at Parkhead on May 11 but they’re also going to have to score more goals than them and maybe hope for someone else to do them a turn or two along the way. And that’s a horrible position for them to find themselves in when they should have been in a commanding position going into the final stretch.

Having been in this situation myself on a couple of occasions I know the stress levels involved in trying to win a title which might come down to goal difference on the final day. We managed it in 2003 when we beat Dunfermline 6-1 on the last day of the season when Celtic could only score four away at Kilmarnock.
For all the grief he gets on here and how often his opinion is dismissed by our support I agree with everything he’s said above.

Almost any ex-Ranger who has gone into media in some capacity has received similar abuse. Kris Boyd is probably one of the only ones to largely escape it.
People forget that during our time in the lower leagues, Boyd wrote some shit about us in the press columns too.

He’s done well to position himself as our media defender these days.

I'm the same with Lundstram and Goldson. If we can afford it, we should improve those positions. But it's very lazy pinning it on the mentality of only 3 players whilst ignoring the bigger problem of quality throughout the whole squad.

Last edited:
People forget that during our time in the lower leagues, Boyd wrote some shit about us in the press columns too.

He’s done well to position himself as our media defender these days.
That's right, there was a big turnaround during the 55 season.

Wasn’t Barry captain when we lost the league to O’Neill’s Celtic by about 20 points, two seasons running?

If only he’d done more Captaining we’d have won them, or something.
Are you blaming one player, any one player for us losing the league?

04/05

I’m sure when they beat us at Ibrox they moved 5 pts clear with 4 games to go and we managed to turn it around (was similar situation or even worse than now tbh). Petrov had a coke launched at him. Everyone thought it was done but we know what happened next. However this bunch of chancers haven’t shown the fight required yet so it’s down to them to prove us all wrong and winning the title would be close to a miracle now we can only hope we somehow get a reaction out of them and the green and grey allow their arrogance to affect their next 5 performances in the league. Stranger things have happened.

Did Barry Ferguson not play for us that season?

I am pretty sure he did, you going to tell me he didn't?

You are paranoid.....it's nothing to do with Tavernier.

He did play for us yes. For half the season having returned from Blackburn in the january. I was at Easter Road for Helicopter Sunday so I remember it all very clearly mate.

Thar particular post is nothing to do with Tav, no. I asked what the relevance, on a thread about Ferguson, is to a season when Ricksen was the captain.

I think you should just admit that you thought Ferguson was the captain that year and you got mixed up.

I'm a huge Ferguson fan. Also know him and Derek and talk to the latter very regularly.

Just genuinely confused why, when there's a chat about captains going on, you picked a season when he wasn't captain. That was it.

We don’t have a side to be proud of. At least in Ferguson’s era we knew the players cared and would always go down fighting. There was spirit and character.

You can’t say anything like that with this present lot.

Thanks Bazza.

I can’t see anywhere in that article where he mentions the captain of the club specifically or call him out

Interesting Tav fans see it as such

No that's not what I'm saying mate. He doesn't. I'm replying to you saying that people are comparing Ferguson the player to anyone in our current team.

There is no comparison player wise. Ferguson is miles clear of them all.

I was pointing out that any comparisons, on both sides, are being drawn between captains. Not as players.

He did play for us yes. For half the season having returned from Blackburn in the january. I was at Easter Road for Helicopter Sunday so I remember it all very clearly mate.

Thar particular post is nothing to do with Tav, no. I asked what the relevance, on a thread about Ferguson, is to a season when Ricksen was the captain.

I think you should just admit that you thought Ferguson was the captain that year and you got mixed up.

I'm a huge Ferguson fan. Also know him and Derek and talk to the latter very regularly.

Just genuinely confused why, when there's a chat about captains going on, you picked a season when he wasn't captain. That was it.

I was aware he wasn't Captain.... I made no reference to him being Captain.

As I said, you are paranoid.

I was aware he wasn't Captain.... I made no reference to him being Captain.

As I said, you are paranoid.

I only asked you the relevance, on a Ferguson thread, 2004/05 specifically had. It was a season he played half of. Especially when you didn't even really talk about Ferguson in your post. Just pointed out how we had some rubbish players in that team. So I didn't get what the relevance was to Ferguson. And that's all I asked.

You then brought up Tavernier in your reply. People can read and go back and check that mate.

You coulda replied and said because him coming back inspired us and lifted us to help us win the title and I woulda though yeah I can see the relevance and agreed with you.

Just didn't see the relevance. That was it.

I only asked you the relevance, on a Ferguson thread, 2004/05 specifically had. It was a season he played half of. Especially when you didn't even really talk about Ferguson in your post. Just pointed out how we had some rubbish players in that team. So I didn't get what the relevance was to Ferguson. And that's all I asked.

You then brought up Tavernier in your reply. People can read and go back and check that mate.

What relevance does a season when Barry Ferguson played for us have to a Barry Ferguson thread?

Aye, you are spot on, none at all, it was strange to bring it up.

As mentioned, his columns aren't always the best - but what I'd give, to have the wee man leading that current shower out onto the park. When it comes to Winners podiums, he knew where The Rangers belonged.

What relevance does a season when Barry Ferguson played for us have to a Barry Ferguson thread?

Aye, you are spot on, none at all, it was strange to bring it up.

But you didn't mention Ferguson in your post mate.

Like not once. People can go back and see it.

Basically, it's safe to assume you thought he was captain and led these poor players you listed to the title.

All I asked was the relevance to Ferguson. You then mentioned Tavernier.

I lived those seasons home and away. That era is MY Rangers era. Unbelievable days and nights and proper players and character. Far better than we have now.

I only asked what point you were making because the thread is about Ferguson.and you didn't mention him.

But you didn't mention Ferguson in your post mate.

Like not once. People can go back and see it.

Basically, it's safe to assume you thought he was captain and led these poor players you listed to the title.

All I asked was the relevance to Ferguson. You then mentioned Tavernier.

I lived those seasons home and away. That era is MY Rangers era. Unbelievable days and nights and proper players and character. Far better than we have now.

I only asked what point you were making because the thread is about Ferguson.and you didn't mention him.

wild

You've not even been able to answer me once because you know, and people can go back and read and follow the conversation, that you decided to bring Tav into it for no reason.

Thank you for the wonderful summary of various squad members from 2004/05 randomly on a thread about Barry Ferguson mate. Genuinely interesting information. Not relevant but exceptionally interesting.

Thanks again.

You've not even been able to answer me once because you know, and people can go back and read and follow the conversation, that you decided to bring Tav into it for no reason.

Thank you for the wonderful summary of various squad members from 2004/05 randomly on a thread about Barry Ferguson mate. Genuinely interesting information. Not relevant but exceptionally interesting.

Thanks again.

Because you are ranting hysterical nonsense

People can go back and read it, and most with many brain cells will wonder what in the name of f*ck you are talking about, your last few posts are absolutely cringing

Because you are ranting hysterical nonsense

People can go back and read it, and most with many brain cells will wonder what in the name of f*ck you are talking about, your last few posts are absolutely cringing

You made an ar5e of it and you know you did with your obsession with Tavernier.

And you're still just throwing out insults because you can't argue.

You could have just answered what the relevance was but you can't because you tried to be smart and made a mistake and resorted to petty name calling.

Now make yourself useful and give me some random information on the 1978 team on a random thread.

You made an ar5e of it and you know you did with your obsession with Tavernier.

And you're still just throwing out insults because you can't argue.

You could have just answered what the relevance was but you can't because you tried to be smart and made a mistake and resorted to petty name calling.

Now make yourself useful and give me some random information on the 1978 team on a random thread.

what a meltdown this is, maybe read the article and see why seasons Ferguson played for us might be relevant, maybe read the thread and see the references to seasons he played for us, it seems others could grasp it, maybe all a bit much for you.

Back