Article Blast from the Past - The Goalie

He didn't have the length of Rangers career as Jerry Dawson, Allan McGregor or Peter McCloy.
He didn't have the incredible reliability of Matt Dickie, Willie Robb or Bobby Brown who all went years without missing a game.
He wasn't as dedicated a professional as Chris Woods or Stefan Klos.

But peak Andy Goram from 1992 to 1996 is the goalkeeper I'd want in my all-time Rangers eleven.

A genuine World Class goalkeeper.

He was easily in the top 10 of Goalies at his peak, that’s how good this man was.

We won’t ever see his like again. A real character, talented, troubled and with a deep love for Rangers Football Club.

What a man.

He didn't have the length of Rangers career as Jerry Dawson, Allan McGregor or Peter McCloy.
He didn't have the incredible reliability of Matt Dickie, Willie Robb or Bobby Brown who all went years without missing a game.

But peak Andy Goram from 1992 to 1996 is the goalkeeper I'd want in my all-time Rangers eleven.
Imagine if he was.

A genuine World Class goalkeeper.

He was easily in the top 10 of Goalies at his peak, that’s how good this man was.

We won’t ever see his like again. A real character, talented, troubled and with a deep love for Rangers Football Club.

What a man.
@Sticky Fingers, I’d have Goram in the top five in the world comfortably between 1992 and 1996.

With Andy you had to take the full package. It wasn't an A La Carte menu.

We’ve been blessed with some genuinely top quality goalkeepers in my lifetime, and he was the best of the lot.

His period of consistency of performance between December 1991 and July 1996 will take some beating by any goalie in any league at any time.

Genuinely world class.

Always said he was the best goalkeeper in the world at that time, closely followed by the man utd keeper.

Always said he was the best goalkeeper in the world at that time, closely followed by the man utd keeper.
@alza75 some folk probably put Schmichael (sic) higher as he was at Man U and playing in the English Premiership. But Goram wasn’t just magnificent for us in Scotland. Some of his displays in the Champions League were breathtaking too.

Would love to know what Goram’s stats were one on one. He was rarely beaten in those situations.

@alza75 some folk probably put Schmichael (sic) higher as he was at Man U and playing in the English Premiership. But Goram wasn’t just magnificent for us in Scotland. Some of his displays in the Champions League were breathtaking too.

Would love to know what Goram’s stats were one on one. He was rarely beaten in those situations.
He always said that Schmichael came too far off his line, after I watched him and he lost a few goals to chipped shots when he frequented The Louden in Duke Street, he would answer the phone by saying 'Hi you are speaking to the best Goalie in the world, how can I help you'
He thought Neville Southall was the best in England

Last edited:
He always said that Schmichael came too far off his line, after I watched him and he lost a few goals to chipped shots when he frequented The Louden in Duke Street, he would answer the phone by saying 'Hi you are speaking to the best Goale in the world, how can I help you'
He thought Neville Southall was the best in England
Southall was exceptional yet Bruce Grobelaar is the one most talk about from that era in England.

In terms of other rivals for Goram, Barthez at Marseille, Peruzzi (Juventus), Rossi at Milan? None of them close to Andy.

Back