Bobby Williamson and McCoist's last game for Rangers at Ibrox

He's correct. The Aberdeen match was a real sickener. The players put in a passive display despite the importance of the game.

He's correct. The Aberdeen match was a real sickener. The players put in a passive display despite the importance of the game.

Was that the game where the ref gave a shocker of a decision against Amorouso and Jess scored from the free kick.?

That - in a sentence - is the difference between 'us' and 'them'.
We blew a double treble due to complete unprofessionalsm. Not only from the players but also Walter Smith who dismissed the fact we'd effectively chucked it after we won the league.

I'm sure we never managed a victory in our last few games.

Players turned up v Scumdee Utd like they'd on on the piss the night before.

I think it played a big part in it. Plus other players knowing they were away at the end of the season and all the nonsense with Gazza didn't help.
Again, if you're away at the end of the season why not go out on a high?

I wonder what bonuses were on offer for each player had 10IAR been secured. I imagine Murray would have been desperate to win it.

I wonder what bonuses were on offer for each player had 10IAR been secured. I imagine Murray would have been desperate to win it.
Yes , don't doubt it. I remembered listening to the H&H show about it (at least I think it was them) and a lot of the chat was about how much of a mental drain getting the 9 had been for the players. I'm with you though - we should have stormed it.

Might be wrong here but didnt Sir Duped not say the pursue of "in a rows" was parochial or something similar and europe was where its at?

Might be wrong here but didnt Sir Duped not say the pursue of "in a rows" was parochial or something similar and europe was where its at?
What he said and what he actually believed were often two very different things.

Relinquishing the title in 1997/98 hurt all of us, and hurt Murray's ego. Since becoming owner of Rangers that was the first time we had failed to win the title on his watch. That's why we brought in Advocaat and spent big that summer.

It never does that though. It's not unique to us in 98 either. Liverpool have done it this season and there's plenty of other examples.
We know how much respect the players had for Walter. It just seems odd to me that they let the title slip instead of trying extra hard to win it for him. Goram, McCoist, McCall, Gough etc all worshipped Walter.

We know how much respect the players had for Walter. It just seems odd to me that they let the title slip instead of trying extra hard to win it for him. Goram, McCoist, McCall, Gough etc all worshipped Walter.
Human nature unfortunately. You subconsciously lose focus once you know that you're not likely to be there much longer (as was the case with most of that squad who were Walter's boys). When it happens collectively the team level drops off. They were also an old team that had achieved their goal the previous season. I know it's hard to believe that the team chucked it because I don't think that's the case, but if everyone does their level by 5% while the rivals maintain their 100% effort, the result is what we saw.

Replacing Robertson with Stensaas.
Negri getting injured.
Signing Amoruso and him missing 9 months and having to resign Gough.
Laudrup’s form.
McCall’s form.
Durie’s inability to score in the run.

So many reasons behind that season yet we still should have won it comfortably.

I remember leaving Tynecastle convinced we would still win the league.

Murray afforded Smith a long goodbye, let's not kid ourselves.

The fact it was let known to the public he was effectively being sacked, well there's 2 theories on that one.

Ultimately it didn't work out, although having beaten the scum at Ibrox in the run in we should have been a shoe in. The Kilmarnock game was an out and out disaster.

It was a collapse akin to the scum surrendering the title in 2005 being 5 points in front, but nobody will admit that.

Replacing Robertson with Stensaas.
Negri getting injured.
Signing Amoruso and him missing 9 months and having to resign Gough.
Laudrup’s form.
McCall’s form.
Durie’s inability to score in the run.

So many reasons behind that season yet we still should have won it comfortably.

I remember leaving Tynecastle convinced we would still win the league.
We beat the Tims away (sco cup semi - amo’s debut) and at home (league) in a week.
We were set.
I had hospitality for the Killie game. Murder.
Tannadice away was murder. Think Albertz was sent off.
Cup final against Hearts was murder, yet at the end we gave both teams huge applause. At 5pm it already felt like something new and better was coming.

He was sacked though in 97/98 and Murray allowed him to stay on
Big difference
This game was significant for me, as you can see
IMG-6175.jpg

I remember McCoists last Kilmarnock game was also at Ibrox. I think Rangers were 3-0 up with 5 mins to go. The Rangers fans singing 'Super Ally' trying to persuade Williamson to let Ally on for a last goodbye.
Williamson didn't let him on of course. Cos he's a cnut of a man.

Not winning 10 in a row seems to have grown into something it wasn't in the passing decades. 9 was the important one at the time, 10 was a bonus but the big achievement was already secured.

What he said and what he actually believed were often two very different things.

Relinquishing the title in 1997/98 hurt all of us, and hurt Murray's ego. Since becoming owner of Rangers that was the first time we had failed to win the title on his watch. That's why we brought in Advocaat and spent big that summer.
That's not why Advocaat was brought it. We had failed repeatedly in Europe, barring the first Champions League season.

Advocaat and the big spending was meant to take it to the next level in Europe. Absolutely nothing to do with Murray being upset about losing the title.

We beat the Tims away (sco cup semi - amo’s debut) and at home (league) in a week.
We were set.
I had hospitality for the Killie game. Murder.
Tannadice away was murder. Think Albertz was sent off.
Cup final against Hearts was murder, yet at the end we gave both teams huge applause. At 5pm it already felt like something new and better was coming.
we were cheated in the cup final, they get a penalty for a foul outside the box, we get a free kick for a foul inside the box.

Not winning 10 in a row seems to have grown into something it wasn't in the passing decades. 9 was the important one at the time, 10 was a bonus but the big achievement was already secured.

This is an important point, not least because it proves just how crazy it was to announce Walters departure.

A bloated squad with mixed ambitions and goals, a manager leaving, an introduction and mixing of cultures. A lot of them feeling job done.
If Celtic had only been 1% more shite than they managed, we would have looked back at it as miraculous given all the circumstances.

Murray did it because he was under pressure.
We were romping the league unbeaten at that point.
Another thing he made a cun.t of because of his fucking ego.

we were cheated in the cup final, they get a penalty for a foul outside the box, we get a free kick for a foul inside the box.
10 years later I worked with the linesman who flagged the Hearts free kick was ‘inside’ the box.

“You were the what? George can we have a chat?”

This is an important point, not least because it proves just how crazy it was to announce Walters departure.

A bloated squad with mixed ambitions and goals, a manager leaving, an introduction and mixing of cultures. A lot of them feeling job done.
If Celtic had only been 1% more shite than they managed, we would have looked back at it as miraculous given all the circumstances.

Murray did it because he was under pressure.
We were romping the league unbeaten at that point.
Another thing he made a cun.t of because of his fucking ego.

Murray had lost the plot early into the 97/98 season due to the criticism over the Gothenburg shambles.

Gave an interview to the Sunday Mail greeting about Rangers fans not being as loyal as Celtic fans, Rangers fans getting Ibrox stadium for nothing, Rangers fans demanding Champions League tickets for £6 and Celtic fans being more invested in their club because they invested in shares that rebuilt their stadium.

We blew a double treble due to complete unprofessionalsm. Not only from the players but also Walter Smith who dismissed the fact we'd effectively chucked it after we won the league.

I'm sure we never managed a victory in our last few games.

Players turned up v Scumdee Utd like they'd on on the piss the night before.
I was 14 at the time of that final and remember it being the first time I was properly raging at a Rangers loss as I had realised they phoned it in. Was a shocker of a display.

Murray had lost the plot early into the 97/98 season due to the criticism over the Gothenburg shambles.

Gave an interview to the Sunday Mail greeting about Rangers fans not being as loyal as Celtic fans, Rangers fans getting Ibrox stadium for nothing, Rangers fans demanding Champions League tickets for £6 and Celtic fans being more invested in their club because they invested in shares that rebuilt their stadium.

Then Strasbourg forced his hand.
Again, despite being well on course for 10. Well, well on course.

He publically congratulated them after they won the treble in 2001.

Can you imagine them doing the same when we won a treble or indeed anything else? Me neither and I wouldnt expect it or want it either.

That's not why Advocaat was brought it. We had failed repeatedly in Europe, barring the first Champions League season.

Advocaat and the big spending was meant to take it to the next level in Europe. Absolutely nothing to do with Murray being upset about losing the title.
It was 100% all on Europe. Murray thought he could buy Champions League success. Ironically it took a honking Alex McLeish side to do something worthwhile in the CL since 1992/93.

Still maintain if we’d played the first old firm game when it was meant to be played that season then we’d have won the 10. They had lost their first 2 league games and we’d won our first 2 scoring 8 goals with Negri flying. I have no doubt they’d have been finished with them 9 points behind us by the start of September.

What followed that cancelled game was a shitshow with a 2-2 and 3-3 draw at home to Motherwell and Aberdeen in consecutive weeks and it let them back in.

We were 4 points ahead of them going into the game at their dump on 2nd Jan.

Too many draws (9) and too many defeats (6) cost us dearly.

Back