Official Bundesliga 1+2, 2023/24.

Stuttgart are very good this season. Good history as well.

I'm not a fan of their ground. Been there a few years ago for a game against Hertha.

I'd like to get back to Karlsruhe to see the stadium redeveloped. My mate also wants me to get tickets to the west curve for a Kaiserslautern game. One of the options is their home game v Schalke on Jan 27th.

Why do not you like it?

I don't think it's a particularly great ground for fans. Feels a little soulless. Unlike a lot of German grounds where there's plenty of space around the stands to walk about, I found Stuttgart's ground to feel a little cramped. Its more like a UK ground where you get access to specific stands and where there's really not much to enjoy around the ground itself.

I don't think it's a particularly great ground for fans. Feels a little soulless. Unlike a lot of German grounds where there's plenty of space around the stands to walk about, I found Stuttgart's ground to feel a little cramped. Its more like a UK ground where you get access to specific stands and where there's really not much to enjoy around the ground itself.

It’s lively in that Canstatter Curve but I kind of know what you mean. Only really American style bars outside and the away end is murder to get to but this is a feature of many German new builds. It’s the new ones that are designed the way you say mainly. Cologne is more like a UK Stadium, the best for what you are after from within a Stadium is probably the Allianz.

Last edited:
One of the games I'm potentially looking at for my next Germany trip is Cologne v Dortmund.

Do I have any realistic chance of getting a ticket for the game? Darmstat v Frankfurt stands out, but there's no way in hell I'd get a ticket for a local derby like that one.

Fixtures set to mid Jan:

Urs Fischer sacked at Union. Could say he's done the best job of any manager in German football history but it's clear something had to change. They've probably left it too late now, though.

The painting and what looked like Wallpaper they had put up everywhere. Certainly looked an experience.

Aye I couldn’t stop laughing last night looking at different pictures, was showing some mates who were laughing and asking how the hell they got all that in.

Aye I couldn’t stop laughing last night looking at different pictures, was showing some mates who were laughing and asking how the hell they got all that in.
It was the inflatable chair with the boy in overalls lounging on it that had me in stitches. Absolutely top class.

Can you see them going down?

Would be funny if they did given the amount of hangers on they've attracted plus the pelters Hertha have been getting off them for the past couple of years.

They are rot but TBH looking at the table I thought the chasm was a bit wider. Should be able to pull themselves out of that in the rückrunde, especially if they go completely out of Europe.

Would be funny if they did given the amount of hangers on they've attracted plus the pelters Hertha have been getting off them for the past couple of years.

They are rot but TBH looking at the table I thought the chasm was a bit wider. Should be able to pull themselves out of that in the rückrunde, especially if they go completely out of Europe.

Need to avoid defeat in Braga don’t they to make that Real Madrid match meaningful? Be a strange atmosphere at that if it is a dead rubber.

Germany vs. Turkey at the Olympiastadion tomorrow night. Flew into Berlin early this morning and the police presence was mad due to Erdogan's state visit.

Do wonder if things are finally starting to click for Germany: Sane in the form of his life, Wirtz flourshing under Alonso, Musiala... still need some defenders right enough.

Germany vs. Turkey at the Olympiastadion tomorrow night. Flew into Berlin early this morning and the police presence was mad due to Erdogan's state visit.

Do wonder if things are finally starting to click for Germany: Sane in the form of his life, Wirtz flourshing under Alonso, Musiala... still need some defenders right enough.

Few years ago I went Berlin when Erdogan was there, I was going to Halle v Hansa, was called off as all Police were dealing with his visit.

Few years ago I went Berlin when Erdogan was there, I was going to Halle v Hansa, was called off as all Police were dealing with his visit.

I live next to the Reichstag and there are often disruptions because of these visits, but the scale of today is something else. Helicopters flying over constantly and police manning the Spree in speedboats!

Saw Police patrolling the Spree back in 86 but a scenario you'd never see today!!

Hopefully game tomorrow goes off without incident. Still remember the story of Galatasaray fans tunneling into Arena Auf Scalke a few years ago.

Tonight's 17:30 (UK) game is Schalke 04 v Greuther Furth in Bundesliga 2.

Hopefully a Furth win. Really hard done to last week against Madgeburg, conceding an equaliser with the last kick of the ball.

Probably one of the surprise packages of B2 this season. I was concerned at the start of the season as so many players are young but the team has been playing well and getting good results to this point.

Fixtures for 1 and 2 set to March:

Bit of a bastard that the Kaiserslautern v Schalke game is the Friday night. And Frankfurt v Mainz.

Going over that weekend for hockey Friday and Sunday. Means my choice of football on the Saturday will likely be:

Stuttgart v Leipzig
Hoffenheim v Heidenheim
Saarbrucken v Ingolstadt
Ulm v Duisburg

Bit of a bastard that the Kaiserslautern v Schalke game is the Friday night. And Frankfurt v Mainz.

Going over that weekend for hockey Friday and Sunday. Means my choice of football on the Saturday will likely be:

Stuttgart v Leipzig
Hoffenheim v Heidenheim
Saarbrucken v Ingolstadt
Ulm v Duisburg

Got 3 Stadiums to do in Bundesliga 2. Osnabruck is one of them, might do that for £50 return flights with Hansa. Although the way things are going Hansa will be banned from having supporters at any match by then!

Got 3 Stadiums to do in Bundesliga 2. Osnabruck is one of them, might do that for £50 return flights with Hansa. Although the way things are going Hansa will be banned from having supporters at any match by then!

I'm actually quite keen on the idea of doing Saarbrucken again. See if the local riot police are any friendlier when it isnt Mannheim who are visiting. They flat out refused to let me on the football train back to Mannheim and made me wait for the non-football one an hour later.

Because I was wearing a Dumbarton scarf and they didnt recognise the team - they therefore refused to believe that my being on the train back to Mannheim wasn't some kind of riot risk. But apparently waiting in Saarbrucken hbf with a load of home fans was perfectly safe.

Fixtures for 1 and 2 set to March:

Eying up the weekend in early Feb

Fri - Magdeburg v Kiel

Sat lunchtime - hopefully a 3.liga or Regionalliga match

Sat night - Hertha v Hamburg

Sun - hopefully 3.liga or Regionalliga (Wolfsburg v Hoffenheim or RB v Union as backup but don't fancy going back to those grounds).

Eying up the weekend in early Feb

Fri - Magdeburg v Kiel

Sat lunchtime - hopefully a 3.liga or Regionalliga match

Sat night - Hertha v Hamburg

Sun - hopefully 3.liga or Regionalliga (Wolfsburg v Hoffenheim or RB v Union as backup but don't fancy going back to those grounds).

I think my groundhopping days like that are over now mate, feeling my age in my mid 40s. Florence and Milan just with my Nephew left me knackered in October! Sure you’ll have a great time and the little lad will love it when on board with you as well.

I think my groundhopping days like that are over now mate, feeling my age in my mid 40s. Florence and Milan just with my Nephew left me knackered in October! Sure you’ll have a great time and the little lad will love it when on board with you as well.

Aye, just me and a few mates for Feb so looking forward to it (just trying to pull everyone in the same direction plan wise). Hopefully get 2 or 3 new grounds (done hertha v Bayern back in 2018 which was brilliant)

Taking him to the odd game here and there at the moment (he's demanding more and more, particularly Ibrox so certainly got the bug). Started him with Rangers B games, goes to Ibrox when spare near me, had him at Hamburg and Rostock in Oct which he absolutely loved.

Down in London in Jan. I'm going to Brentford v Wolves and Wimbledon v Ipswich in FA cup (two new grounds for me but wee guy has other plans in London) then thanks to a poster on here I'm taking him to Stamford Bridge for Chelsea v Preston. Looking forward to it, been a few years since I was last at the Bridge.

Hertha president Kay Bernstein dies aged just 43. Shocker. He was a former ultra who seemed to be leading the club in the right direction for once.

Leverkusen went through to the semis of German Cup last night, beat Stuttgart 3-2. Clear favs to lift trophy now and will be a shock if they don't given who is left in it. Still to lose a match this season.

530 UK time on Saturday they have the chance to go 5 points clear at the top when they play Bayern at home.

Job done, quite chuffed to have been at matches where these protests took place, once again fan power in Germany wins:

Investor deal off the table: DFL stops negotiations

The DFL does not get a new investor. At its extraordinary meeting on Wednesday, the Presidium decided not to continue the process.

As the DFL announced in a statement on Wednesday, the Presidium at the meeting in Frankfurt am Main "unanimously decided not to continue the process of concluding a marketing partnership."

“In view of current developments, a successful continuation of the process no longer seems possible,” presidential spokesman Hans-Joachim Watzke is quoted as saying. "Even if there is a large majority in favor of the entrepreneurial necessity of the strategic partnership: German professional football is in the midst of a test that is taking place not only within the league association between the clubs, but also partly within the clubs between professionals, coaches, club managers, supervisory bodies and general meetings and fan communities are causing major disputes that are increasingly jeopardizing game operations, specific game progressions and thus the integrity of the competition."

In December, the clubs in the 1st and 2nd Bundesliga voted by a narrow majority to begin negotiations with a potential investor, thereby clearing the way. In the days that followed, however, questions were raised about the voting behavior of Martin Kind, the managing director of Hannover 96. Hanover's club management had instructed Kind to vote against the investor's entry, but the result of the vote suggested that he had voted yes in the secret ballot and thus contributed to the necessary majority.

In recent weeks, fans at games in the top German leagues have protested violently against the planned entry. Numerous games were interrupted for a long time due to banners, throwing of tennis balls and other objects. Some games were about to be canceled. The termination of the negotiations is now a great success for the fans and their protests.

"A good day for Germany's football fans," commented Thomas Kessen from the fan association "Our Curve" in response to a SID request. “The comprehensive, but very peaceful and very creative protests were ultimately the key to success,” the fan representative continued. "This is a great success for all active football fans and all members of the clubs, which shows that German football is member-based and democratic and that these members must be included in such groundbreaking decisions."

“The viability of a successful conclusion of a contract in terms of financing the 36 clubs can no longer be guaranteed given the circumstances in the league association with its 36 member clubs,” continued Watzke. Recently, more and more clubs have called for a new vote to be carried out due to the lack of clarity surrounding Kind's vote. 1. FC Köln submitted a corresponding application to the DFL last week. "The Presidium, after considering all legal aspects, came to the conclusion that any further votes would not bring a solution to the problem," Watzke is now quoted as saying.

DFL invites you to club discussions

Although the vote from December is seen as "legally effective", it should not be overlooked that this vote lacks broad acceptance due to the events surrounding Hannover 96, says Watzke's statement. “Given the great asset we hold in our hands with the 50+1 rule, ignoring this should not be our approach.” There was a suspicion surrounding Kind's vote that this 50+1 rule had been violated. The aim of this decision is to avoid “the risk of new legal questions or even disputes” and to return to orderly gaming operations, Watzke continued.

Last week, the private equity firm Blackstone withdrew from negotiations. This left only CVC Capital Partners as a possible partner. However, they have now "unanimously come to the conclusion that (...) the process should not be continued or brought to a conclusion," the statement concludes. You will be invited to club discussions in the coming weeks in order to “discuss conclusions from the process together”.

Last edited:
I know it's not 1. Bundesliga or 2. Bundesliga but what a week I had last week in Berlin/Potsdam and Leipzig. I love the Regionalliga Nordost.

Babelsberg 3-1 Zwickau
Chemie Leipzig 1-1 Luckenwalde
BFC Dynamo 0-0 Greifswald

Looking at Hallescher, Chemnitzer and Jena for April time

I know it's not 1. Bundesliga or 2. Bundesliga but what a week I had last week in Berlin/Potsdam and Leipzig. I love the Regionalliga Nordost.

Babelsberg 3-1 Zwickau
Chemie Leipzig 1-1 Luckenwalde
BFC Dynamo 0-0 Greifswald

Looking at Hallescher, Chemnitzer and Jena for April time

It’s a great league full of historic Clubs. Bit of entertainment off the pitch at Babelsberg I noticed at that match. Been to about half of the grounds in it, Zwickau was an experience! Chemnitz is one I really want to go.

Last edited:
It’s a great league full of historic Clubs. Bit of entertainment off the pitch at Babelsberg I noticed at that match. Been to about half of the grounds in it, Zwickau was an experience! Chemnitz is one I really want to go.

My mate is a Chemie Leipzig fan so he was giving me a lowdown on why it kicked off at Babelsberg. Apparently about 8 years ago the Zwickau fans stole a Babelsberg banner and it was their first chance at getting them back. St Pauli tosspots involved too. It was wild tbh. great atmosphere at the game. The BFC game was tense as hell due to the league positions obviously.

Went to a cracking wee boozer on Rudolf-Breitscheid-Strasse after the game. Got talking to a couple of guys at the game, just as well I was staying in Potsdam because I'd have been stuck there as I missed the last S-Bahn back to my hotel.

My mate is a Chemie Leipzig fan so he was giving me a lowdown on why it kicked off at Babelsberg. Apparently about 8 years ago the Zwickau fans stole a Babelsberg banner and it was their first chance at getting them back. St Pauli tosspots involved too. It was wild tbh. great atmosphere at the game. The BFC game was tense as hell due to the league positions obviously.

Went to a cracking wee boozer on Rudolf-Breitscheid-Strasse after the game. Got talking to a couple of guys at the game, just as well I was staying in Potsdam because I'd have been stuck there as I missed the last S-Bahn back to my hotel.

Did you get in the Clubhouse at BFC Dynamo? Like to get in there. Zur Insel is a good boozer but that’s near Jahn Sportpark. Want to see BFC at their real home, went to their play off the other season in Oldenburg, good supporters I’ve found.

I’d like to get to a Leipzig derby once, always think that’s the most lively one in Germany given the small numbers that attend.

Went to a bit of a crap match when I went Babelsberg, seemed to be a boycott on, would like to stay over in Potsdam at some point - easy to get to from the Airport ain’t it.

Did you get in the Clubhouse at BFC Dynamo? Like to get in there. Zur Insel is a good boozer but that’s near Jahn Sportpark. Want to see BFC at their real home, went to their play off the other season in Oldenburg, good supporters I’ve found.

I’d like to get to a Leipzig derby once, always think that’s the most lively one in Germany given the small numbers that attend.

Went to a bit of a crap match when I went Babelsberg, seemed to be a boycott on, would like to stay over in Potsdam at some point - easy to get to from the Airport ain’t it.

I did, I was at that side of the ground so managed to get in. It was bouncing, in more ways than one, the music was mental hardstyle stuff. They were very vocal and probably the most passionate I encountered. Greifswald brought a good crowd as well. The stadium was absolutely rammed.

My mate went to the Leipzig derby in November the 1-1 draw, I was in London so couldn't make it, he says the atmosphere beforehand was one of the best he'd seen at a lower level. Lok fans pelted fireworks at the Chemie fans. I've got two mates over there one Chemie and one Lok. I'd say from experience Chemie fans are a bit more into their club if you know what I mean. It was good to be back in Leipzig as well it had been a few years.

Yeah, so my hotel was just across from the Hbf at Potsdam so it was a 25-minute train job into Berlin. The Welcome card for the 6 days is such a cracking deal, especially if you're in Potsdam as it covers all the outskirts of Potsdam as well as Berlin.

I did, I was at that side of the ground so managed to get in. It was bouncing, in more ways than one, the music was mental hardstyle stuff. They were very vocal and probably the most passionate I encountered. Greifswald brought a good crowd as well. The stadium was absolutely rammed.

My mate went to the Leipzig derby in November the 1-1 draw, I was in London so couldn't make it, he says the atmosphere beforehand was one of the best he'd seen at a lower level. Lok fans pelted fireworks at the Chemie fans. I've got two mates over there one Chemie and one Lok. I'd say from experience Chemie fans are a bit more into their club if you know what I mean. It was good to be back in Leipzig as well it had been a few years.

Yeah, so my hotel was just across from the Hbf at Potsdam so it was a 25-minute train job into Berlin. The Welcome card for the 6 days is such a cracking deal, especially if you're in Potsdam as it covers all the outskirts of Potsdam as well as Berlin.

Some run in that one, didn't realise Cottbus were in it as well now. Good that the winner goes up straight away with no play off. Think Dynamo will need to play at TeBe if they go up though as the Stadium isn't good enough, think TeBe is being done up after their next match - not sure where they will be playing.

Some run in that one, didn't realise Cottbus were in it as well now. Good that the winner goes up straight away with no play off. Think Dynamo will need to play at TeBe if they go up though as the Stadium isn't good enough, think TeBe is being done up after their next match - not sure where they will be playing.
I went through to Mommsenstadion one of the days, they let me in to take a few pictures, nice wee stadium, proper old-fashioned East German style. Yeah they were working on the main stand when I was there. The Sportforum behind one of the goals is in a right state, over grown grass and unsteady terrace.

Back