Cantwell (Again)

SymonSays

The sight of Tav trying to smooth his ruffled feathers when Cantwell was subbed today, only reinforces the idea that the player shouldn't be in the manager's future plans. It's not enough to devote high energy to a game when, largely, it doesn't serve any particular construct. Running around with flashy boots with the odd pirouette thrown in, doesn't warrant you being on the field for 90 minutes or more. If Todd wants success, I think he'd find it better at English Championship level. You don't have to be humble to be a great player (Baxter), and you can be great and humble too (Greig), but greatness (and the right to remain on the park) isn't conferred - it's earned.

He’s trying to be some sort sort of maverick #10, and is nowhere near good enough to do it.

It also totally disrupts our structure as it leaves us outnumbered in midfield most of the game.

Our best performances of the season (5-0 v Hearts, Betis away) were secured minus Cantwell.

If he starts next week, it’s back to his wife role. He can impact the final third, but he needs to be disciplined.

The sight of Tav trying to smooth his ruffled feathers when Cantwell was subbed today, only reinforces the idea that the player shouldn't be in the manager's future plans. It's not enough to devote high energy to a game when, largely, it doesn't serve any particular construct. Running around with flashy boots with the odd pirouette thrown in, doesn't warrant you being on the field for 90 minutes or more. If Todd wants success, I think he'd find it better at English Championship level. You don't have to be humble to be a great player (Baxter), and you can be great and humble too (Greig), but greatness (and the right to remain on the park) isn't conferred - it's earned.
You're out your tits, aren't you?

We have far bigger problems than Cantwell.

Actually he is a problem, this running around aimless with flicks and tricks thinking he is on FIFA isn't good enough.

Today he had Lundstram in acres of space in the 1st half with a direct shot on goal, what did he do? a step over and passed into Silva who was surrounded, chance gone.

his decision making is terrible at lot of the time.

He needs a nice short, back and sides - and a bloody good telling off.

He’s trying to be some sort sort of maverick #10, and is nowhere near good enough to do it.

It also totally disrupts our structure as it leaves us outnumbered in midfield most of the game.

Our best performances of the season (5-0 v Hearts, Betis away) were secured minus Cantwell.

If he starts next week, it’s back to his wife role. He can impact the final third, but he needs to be disciplined.
Totally agree with this.

If he plays next week, i hope its out wide.

Today should’ve been the perfect game for Cantwell.

The challenge of unlocking a packed defense with 9 outfield players behind the ball. Creativity and the ability to find and play in tight spaces required. He should thrive on showing what he can do, he should be able to against Kilmarnock.

Instead he, again, flatters to deceive. A flick here and there without any real influence. The odd sliding challenging attempting to block a clearance before being subbed without having had any real impact. He seemed to go straight down the tunnel too, not sure if he came back out.

He should be capable of much more than what we’re seeing.

Lawrence, himself much maligned lately, showed far more than Cantwell in his short cameo today.

I like Cantwell and think he is and will be a valuable member of the squad but he doesn’t get enough numbers from the position he’s playing in for us. Unfortunately the semi final v Hearts is the exception rather than the rule from him this season.

His running does make space for others though.

I’d maybe try him off the left where Silva is playing. I would say though the style of football we play doesn’t really lend itself to creative players.

Can't start next week ,we need some grit in midfield which he doesn't supply ,said before he's a luxury player who drifts in and out of games ....mostly out.

Oh dear I’ve no idea where to start . Flashy boots is the killer.

You're out your tits, aren't you?
I like,some are so full of their own self importance on here,its embarrassing.

We've won 4-1 today and this is just yet another in an ever growing list of threads full of negative nonsense. Can't even be bothered replying to the last dance for these players one as it's a waste of time and energy. The hilarious (if it was actually remotely funny) part is these exact same fans across multiple toxic threads are accusing the players of having bottled it, given up, not putting the required effort in, giving it the look at me etc yet they themselves have already conceded the league (and probably the Scottish Cup too) before next week when we are only 3 behind with 3 to play. I just don't get it, like the players fans should at the very least go all in until it's done if they are expecting the players to do the same.

He's a talented boy, but he just doesn't have it.

We need more than one excellent performance every 4 or 5.

You can win a game and still be critical of players.

I’d imagine cantwell is on a hefty wage similar to Tav and Goldson.

2 players who take a lot of stick.

I feel Cantwell could and should contribute a hell of a lot more than he does.

With respect, what the %^*& are you talking about?

Another one who has issues with consistency. Don’t know what to make of him. Before his injury he was looking good.

Some of the one off comments on this thread are pretty enlightening as to the mindset of some people on here

My only gripe with Cantwell is his trying to win the ball back from behind, just get goal side and block. He must realise by now that it is given as a foul whenever he tries to outmuscle someone for the ball too.

Back