Cantwell (Again)

The sight of Tav trying to smooth his ruffled feathers when Cantwell was subbed today, only reinforces the idea that the player shouldn't be in the manager's future plans. It's not enough to devote high energy to a game when, largely, it doesn't serve any particular construct. Running around with flashy boots with the odd pirouette thrown in, doesn't warrant you being on the field for 90 minutes or more. If Todd wants success, I think he'd find it better at English Championship level. You don't have to be humble to be a great player (Baxter), and you can be great and humble too (Greig), but greatness (and the right to remain on the park) isn't conferred - it's earned.
What nonsense is this 'smooth his ruffled feathers'? It was right in front of me, Tav said 'we need goals' as he encouraged him off.

We've won 4-1 today and this is just yet another in an ever growing list of threads full of negative nonsense. Can't even be bothered replying to the last dance for these players one as it's a waste of time and energy. The hilarious (if it was actually remotely funny) part is these exact same fans across multiple toxic threads are accusing the players of having bottled it, given up, not putting the required effort in, giving it the look at me etc yet they themselves have already conceded the league (and probably the Scottish Cup too) before next week when we are only 3 behind with 3 to play. I just don't get it, like the players fans should at the very least go all in until it's done if they are expecting the players to do the same.
They can't help themselves....even when they're playing well they get hammered ...If it's not Can'twell it's Tav, or Lundstrum or Goldson or Barisic, or Souttar , or Balogun ., Dessers , Davies.It gets awfy tiresome...

Last edited:
I’d be very tempted next week to go with Lundstram, Sterling and Dio in the middle, and Cantwell maybe right wing… more likely keep Sterling there and perhaps Raskin in the midfield. I don’t see that Cantwell will add enough from the start in that game.

The sight of Tav trying to smooth his ruffled feathers when Cantwell was subbed today, only reinforces the idea that the player shouldn't be in the manager's future plans. It's not enough to devote high energy to a game when, largely, it doesn't serve any particular construct. Running around with flashy boots with the odd pirouette thrown in, doesn't warrant you being on the field for 90 minutes or more. If Todd wants success, I think he'd find it better at English Championship level. You don't have to be humble to be a great player (Baxter), and you can be great and humble too (Greig), but greatness (and the right to remain on the park) isn't conferred - it's earned.
He did same with borna and sterling tbh

Cantwell hasn't been good since he came back from last injury he needs to do more.

Bigger issue for me is when v we have the ball we had 5 players up front are all static and in a straight line bo movement to pull players out of position either dropping deeper to collect the ball so others can then move.

It's infuriating

He has the ability to offer far more than he does. A number 10 for us should be posting more goals and assists than Cantwell does. Too often he flatters to deceive. We need more in the games we are struggling, he needs to be more creative. Personally I think we need better next year

Clement will get rid of him he clearly sees his stats and end product ain’t good enough that’s why he’s subbed quite often

I think the OP is a tad unfair on Cantwell. He’s a flashy player, or at least was at one point in his younger days but he’s now, what, 25/26? He’s just became a father and he lives and works in a fucking goldfish bowl of a city and a Shitey nationalist hellhole in Glasgow. He’s got to balance all of this with somehow being and maintaining some sort the flashy superstar player he was made out to be in England when he burst onto the scene. He’s got to try and rekindle that spark, and he’s got to keep his emotions in check up here too, because Glasgow can’t be the easiest place to ply your trade.

Cantwell is a good player who needs love and the arm put round him, and he needs to be able to be free to do as he pleases and he is good enough to be allowed to do that. Yes, he has to contribute more and does flatter to deceive, but he is more than good enough to show us all what he’s made of. If he wants a move back down south to the big boys league or even stay up here and win, he does need to do more but he’s definitely good enough to achieve it.

He can make a cracking start on it beginning next weekend when he helps out with the team, Maybe even he could have a wee bit of fun himself at the tinks expense?

Actually he is a problem, this running around aimless with flicks and tricks thinking he is on FIFA isn't good enough.

Today he had Lundstram in acres of space in the 1st half with a direct shot on goal, what did he do? a step over and passed into Silva who was surrounded, chance gone.

his decision making is terrible at lot of the time.
Absolute nonsense mate.

The midfield ( Lundstram) move the ball so slowly they miss the initial moment of the front players,particularly silva and usually dessers. So they have to reset and the midfielders have nothing to aim for. Cantwell always shows, he runs hard because we have a large gap in player quality and he tries to bridge it.

Cantwell in a team will Sima on left, a good striker , a right winger who isn't a fullback and a midfield playmaker who doesn't need 3 touches before passing it, and he will be a stand out.

He runs and tries stuff because he cares. If only more had a similar mindset.

I'd be tempted to change things next weekend. I'm not convinced a number 10 works for us in these games, or certainly hasn't so far.

Raskin Lundstram Diomande

Sterling Dessers Cantwell

Not really ideal, but think we need to change something from previous setups. Not entirely sure what the change should be yet though.

Absolute nonsense mate.

The midfield ( Lundstram) move the ball so slowly they miss the initial moment of the front players,particularly silva and usually dessers. So they have to reset and the midfielders have nothing to aim for. Cantwell always shows, he runs hard because we have a large gap in player quality and he tries to bridge it.

Cantwell in a team will Sima on left, a good striker , a right winger who isn't a fullback and a midfield playmaker who doesn't need 3 touches before passing it, and he will be a stand out.

He runs and tries stuff because he cares. If only more had a similar mindset.

no its not absolute nonsense. what I described happened.

as for the last comment, I don't give a shit if he cares, I care, you care, but its a team game and Cantwell goes into business for himself constantly and drifts from the structure. He has been removed once already for going into business for himself.

if others had similar mindsets to float out of position constantly trying World Cup Willie flicks etc, it would be chaos. But he cares so wire in.

If he is going to do his own thing then he better be that guy! Sadly, Cantwell isn't that guy!

I like him, always tries and never hides, and I wasn't happy either when he got subbed for Lawrence. I really hope he starts on Saturday.
A lot of people get confused with people charging about aimlessly.

It looks good for the player but does nothing for the team shape/structure

A lot of people get confused with people charging about aimlessly.

It looks good for the player but does nothing for the team shape/structure

I could accept it if he was turning games around on his own like a Wayne Rooney could do and just take over, but he isn't, charging around as you say giving away soft tackles and mouthing off.

Gives his all, runs about showing he cares simply isn't good enough to succeed at Rangers.

Didn’t have his best game today. He is a very capable footballer, who loves our club and support.
He really wants to sacrifice himself in every game, think he needs protected from himself at times.
I see a player who carries the burden of a collective failure on his shoulders too often.

Todd Cantwell will be pivotal to our success next week, the press despise a talented, articulate , English footballer , with understanding of what it means to represent this club.

The whole team require our support .This season , there is always a weekly vilification of any particular Rangers player . It’s ridiculous,

WATP
Todd too!

He's easily wound up and gets frustrated in hostile environments, especially at their park. I'd keep him on the bench next week and have Lawrence in from the start.

What a nonsense!
Has he done the business with your boyfriend or something?

In fairness to the manager I think he subbed Sterling and Cantwell to ensure they didn’t pick up injuries for next week. I reckon both will be up for it and you I genuinely wouldn’t bet against Cantwell scoring the winner. He’s due a goal soon and I think we will see a fired up Todd in that cesspit. Let’s just wait and see I guess.

I agree to an extent. Doesn't seem like he'd be consistent enough for us. But, we can't sell everyone and he's probably worth another season in Phil's new look side to see if better team mates can get the best out of him

He’s a 1 good game in 5 player.

He can be brilliant but of mostly pretty average.

I’d love to see him turn up at the piggery

Actually he is a problem, this running around aimless with flicks and tricks thinking he is on FIFA isn't good enough.

Today he had Lundstram in acres of space in the 1st half with a direct shot on goal, what did he do? a step over and passed into Silva who was surrounded, chance gone.

his decision making is terrible at lot of the time.
I wonder how difficult it would be to find an error in each players game today!

Best player we have

I thought cantwell was one of our bettwr players today until he got taken off. I was actually a bit annoyed him and sterling were subbed but it worked out in the end.
I reckon he could shine when the team is improved in the summer. Like I said above we can't just sell the whole squad in the summer, we need to keep some and give them another chance and he's one of them

Hmm.

He gave energy and a willingness to cut through their block.

I’m also OK with a player being unhappy being subbed, albeit I don’t want huffiness.

Cantwell could be part of something but it needs to be well put together.
That just about covers it Bobby!

I watched home work the ball from one side to the other and back angain along the 18 yard box. Not one of our forwards moved to try and give him options or break their line.
Eventually he lost the ball but it certainly wasn’t his fault.

One of 2 players in that first half who played with energy and tried to make things happen. Diamande was the other.

I read 2 lines of this utter pish . Do you actually watch Rangers ?

Back