Cantwell sub - stop taking him off

He does sometimes look to do too much, he can be quite greedy at times and at others he is way out of position chasing down balls that others should be taking responsibility for. Maybe they would if Cantwell wasn't in the way?

So ok, he is putting the effort in, but it is also clearly to the detriment of the team at times. That is something that will grind with PC. He talks about the team, not the individual, so i can see Cantwell's style grate on the manager.

I do like Cantwell though. If i was making a list of keeps and flips from this squad, Cantwell would be a keep. Obviously, any of them would be for sale if the price was right.
Definitely a keep for me - I’d really like to see him alongside two or three other players of comparable ability - but if there’s a decent offer for him over the summer I wouldn’t be devastated to see him go.

We should be considering changing our shape currently as that "role" is providing nothing to the team most games.
We've been screaming out for a change in formation for weeks now. Maybe bring Goldson back in and go 3-5-2 if Ridvan isn't fit for our next game. Diomande wide left with his athleticism and can go back and fourth. Tav wide right obviously, with Lundstram beside him, Cantwell in the middle with Sterling to his left. With Dessers and Roofe up front. Worth a bash because Killie will take something from us is we play like we did today. I'd probably even start Raskin in the middle for the first half to win the midfield battle. Then Cantwell 65mins in.

Cantwell has flattered to deceive for a while now, rolling around on the deck, losing the ball in tight areas and putting the defence under pressure. He needs to remember it’s a team game!

We should be considering changing our shape currently as that "role" is providing nothing to the team most games.
We have came back from the winter break with a shape that works if all the first 11 are playing.

When injuries happen it doesn't its leaving us short in midfield.

We are an absolute bombsite at the back as none of our central defenders are good enough to cover the ground needed when playing inverted fullbacks.

The strikers are static

We have basically nullified tav as an attacking threat

It's bizarre I get clement wants us to go that way and that's fine but he had a formation that worked even with injuries.
The summer was the time to go full in on it with players that are good enough for it.

He's one player who is capable of something different, but the players around him in forward areas in particular are truly awful. Clement subbing him will the the players he does is often ridiculous.

As I have said recently, I think the lad will look to move back south in the summer. I think he's done with this backwater. And I am still not convinced that him and Clement see eye to eye, regardless what is said in public.

Why dont we just stick him where Fabio Silva minces about and tell him to do whatever and put Tom Lawrence in midfield tell him to run until he drops ?

I'm getting thoroughly sick of him and same crap week in week out.

Overdoing it to breaking down the play.

Slack and sloppy

Closes down in a jog and gets easily played around

If I've seen him fall in a 50/50 and sit on his arse 9nce whining with hands in the air I've seen it a hundred times now. Get on with the fkn game todd

Only issue was he should’ve been taken off earlier.

For one of our “main men” he contributes very little.

We need everybody to stand up and be counted in the remaining games, not just Cantwell.

He is undoubtedly talented but just not very consistent.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see him leave in the summer.

He's very average, not a bad player at all but a million miles away from being one of our key players in the 10 role next few seasons.

I can see why the manager probably doesn't rate him.
So the manager doesn't rate him ? I must have missed that statement

We've been screaming out for a change in formation for weeks now. Maybe bring Goldson back in and go 3-5-2 if Ridvan isn't fit for our next game. Diomande wide left with his athleticism and can go back and fourth. Tav wide right obviously, with Lundstram beside him, Cantwell in the middle with Sterling to his left. With Dessers and Roofe up front. Worth a bash because Killie will take something from us is we play like we did today. I'd probably even start Raskin in the middle for the first half to win the midfield battle. Then Cantwell 65mins in.
Would be willing to try anything. We can't beat Celtic in this shape regardless.

As others have said we need a change in system for the scum game, we cannot allow them to boss the midfield again.

Lundstram behind Sterling and Diomande would be ideal. I'd go with Cantwell and Lawrence as 2 10s and Dessers up front. Let the full backs provide the width.

Our main wingers aren't fit enough to play and I am sick seeing Silva out wide, and Wright and McAusland are not the answer.

As others have said we need a change in system for the scum game, we cannot allow them to boss the midfield again.

Lundstram behind Sterling and Diomande would be ideal. I'd go with Cantwell and Lawrence as 2 10s and Dessers up front. Let the full backs provide the width.

Our main wingers aren't fit enough to play and I am sick seeing Silva out wide, and Wright and McAusland are not the answer.

Lundstram has phoned it in since the international break and I personally don't want to see him line up at the piggery giving it 60% effort.

He's one player who is capable of something different, but the players around him in forward areas in particular are truly awful. Clement subbing him will the the players he does is often ridiculous.

As I have said recently, I think the lad will look to move back south in the summer. I think he's done with this backwater. And I am still not convinced that him and Clement see eye to eye, regardless what is said in public.

Tell us exactly what that is and how many examples have you got.

He wasn't performing. Simple as that.

He's nowhere near a level where subbing him should be an issue.

Maybe an unpopular opinion, but I don’t really understand why many (at least on here) tend to put Cantwell on a pedestal as though he is a standout within the team. He has, in my view at least, done nothing of note since his arrival at the club which could earn him the respect he enjoys in some quarters.

One good performance against Hearts in the semi final and he’s being hyped as the example to follow by some.

Yes, he is technically good, but so was Ryan Kent and he got destroyed on here. Maybe Cantwell is better with words?Personally I wouldn’t be devastated if Cantwell left in the summer, provided we bring in players who consistently show they have what it takes to bring this club the success it deserves.

Cantwell offers a hell of a lot more than the alternative options (Scott Wright/Tom Lawrence) so this nonsense about not doing enough to stay on doesn't wash.

He was also MOTM last week at Hampden, fast forward a week and some folk want to sell him. :))

Tell us exactly what that is and how many examples have you got.

2 assists last week at Hampden ?

Creative players go through quiet periods across 90 minutes because they can't be creating chances every time they get the ball otherwise we'd be scoring 30 goals a week but they're always capable of something (Hampden, last week).

The alternatives are Scott Wright/Tom Lawrence. Cantwell wins that particular battle hands down.

Cantwell has more yellow cards this season than assists. I think that sums up his input. He looks skilful in very fleeting moments but he is ineffective.

We are a much more solid unit tactically when Cantwell isn’t playing.

When he plays as a 10 away from home we constantly get caught out on the break and are often out numbered in the middle of the park due to his indiscipline. Dingwall being the biggest example.

A luxury player who looks not bad against shite teams at Ibrox who sit. Away games, we struggle.

Back