Cantwell sub - stop taking him off

I think you could say that about most today.

I wouldn't have beern singling out Cantwell.
Fair, but this thread singled out Cantwell. I didn't see the game today so don't really have a view either way on him coming off but wondering why the OP thought Cantwell should be left on. Was he a cut above anyone else on the pitch today?

Not like it was an early sub anyway is it so could have been as simple as fresh legs to see out the last 15 mins or so.

We’re just recycling players hoping that one has a positive ‘moment’ over the course of a game. Hence, the reappearance of Wright, for example.
Absolutely bang on. We’re getting so little from so many at the minute that it’s total guesswork whether we’ll get a shift and/or a result each week. Fucking worrying

Fair, but this thread singled out Cantwell. I didn't see the game today so don't really have a view either way on him coming off but wondering why the OP thought Cantwell should be left on. Was he a cut above anyone else on the pitch today?

Not like it was an early sub anyway is it so could have been as simple as fresh legs to see out the last 15 mins or so.

Quite simply, we were a disgrace today allover.

The tone was set by a fcuk up from Tav within the first minute. Butland had two/three saves in the first eight minutes. It was an atrocious first half in particular.

Balogun was awful for their equaliser.

We are carrying too many passengers. With this present squad, Cantwell is the least of our worries.

However we need Sterling to compliment Diamonde in midfield. He's wasted at full back or out wide.

He was starting to be more of an influence when he was taken off IMO.

Easy to see why he gets subbed, and I usually smile when he is subbed! Here's why...

1. Injuries
Had a few, take their toll

2. Running
Plays in a role that requires a lot of fitness. Runs beyond defenders, and expected to get back

3. No obvious replacement
When fit enough to start, he starts, because there's no-one else capable of that role

4. Defensive liability
Takes chances and concedes possession in fatal areas, we've all seen it, so if we get our noses in front in a tight game after the hour mark, and we're likely to be facing pressure, the last thing we're needing is him doing his fancy stuff and tight passes that come with a high likelihood of losing possession... especially when he's in a deeper area than he would normally be, and behind him there's a defence that's basically Butland, Balogun (when fit), and a shower of comedic incapables - Christ! Two of them are so bad we keep them in the other team's half to secure our defence, and get big Lundstram to fall back in instead!

So I disagree with the topic starter. Get him the f*ck aff, even if it's only Scott Wright that we can bring on. If we're on the backfoot the sight of Cantwell in his own final third is something that looks as unnatural as Jocky Bjorklund at centre-forward. Or Ally Maxwell in goal.

Timing of him being hooked says it all, and it's a regular occurrence. GOAL - I cheer, SUBSTITUTION - I smile.

He was fcukin rotten.
Interestingly in the Diomande thread where you're slating him, you've shown stats which show Cantwell has the best passing stats of all our midfielders yesterday.

You're nothing but consistent in trying to find an angle to moan and slate our players.

Very apt username :)

O can understand rotating him given all the bad tackles he receives and niggling injuries he has picked up
In my opinion he is our best player, certainly the most technical and will thrive in a better team next season.

He’s our only forward player capable of a bit magic.

Stop taking him off Phil.
"Moments of magic" yet has 6 goals and 6 assists from 39 appearances.

For a Rangers number 10 and supposedly our best player that is nowhere near good enough.

Doing a trick and beating a player on the halfway line isn't a moment of magic.

Interestingly in the Diomande thread where you're slating him, you've shown stats which show Cantwell has the best passing stats of all our midfielders yesterday.

You're nothing but consistent in trying to find an angle to moan and slate our players.

Very apt username :)

He was playing as a ten, he had no attempts on target he had no assists, he was ineffective.

Did you sit happy clapping under Beale too.

Until the players start putting in performances they deserve to be slated.

He’s our only forward player capable of a bit magic.

Stop taking him off Phil.

He’s still nursing an injury and unless you want to run him into the ground & for him to be out for a while then he needs to come off when needed to prevent it getting worse.

On top of that he’s wasn’t showing much magic and had wasted to good chances to make the game more comfortable.

We won’t be winning titles until our starting eleven man-for-man is largely better than our rivals.

Hatate, McGregor and O’Rielly are better in every single aspect and Cantwell quite frankly is miles away from them all.

In his head however, he’s better than them all which I think is also part of his problem.

He’s still nursing an injury and unless you want to run him into the ground & for him to be out for a while then he needs to come off when needed to prevent it getting worse.

On top of that he’s wasn’t showing much magic and had wasted to good chances to make the game more comfortable.

He said before the game he would play 120 minutes every week for this club til his legs gave in.

Hes been hooked 3 games in a row and been visible frustrated after Ross county and Dundee.

Keep your best players on the park until games are won

I suspect Clement thinks he’s a bit too ‘showy’ at times and just wants players to keep it simple, but I’m in complete agreement with the OP - he’s the only player we have capable of a bit of magic.
Agree. The target for all the "hammer throwers", maybe the "not good enough" posters should keep this in mind. Even when not playing great surely it is the space his presence creates for his team mates, or should do if the team is set up correctly

Cantwell wasn't great yesterday but had two chances not long before he was taken off. The second one was a good run, driving directly at their defence and it seemed to spark us into life a bit.

Thought it was a strange time to take him off but he is one of the first subbed off by this manager quite regularly.

He wasn't great , but subbing him for Lawrence was a complete waste of time.

I don't subscribe to the idea that he's a major asset to the squad though. We can't get rid of everyone obviously and he probably deserves a chance next season, but the Hearts game last week is the first time he's shown anything decent in months. Evidence that he can change a game for us is thin on the ground.

This place is baffling and so fickle lol

Same people posting get rid were riding him last Sunday after Hampden

He said before the game he would play 120 minutes every week for this club til his legs gave in.

Hes been hooked 3 games in a row and been visible frustrated after Ross county and Dundee.

Keep your best players on the park until games are won

Of course he would play every minute, if he could. However the manager has a different obligation and unless you want PC to run Cantwell into the ground like Gerrard did with Jack and have a shell of the player that once was then don’t complain when the guys can barely play a few games in a row.

Of course he would play every minute, if he could. However the manager has a different obligation and unless you want PC to run Cantwell into the ground like Gerrard did with Jack and have a shell of the player that once was then don’t complain when the guys can barely play a few games in a row.

You obviously think otherwise but I don’t think the manager is taking him off to protect him.

Back