Captain next season

Bet you had a wild night celebrating that. Voted in there alongside Liam Scales who you were deriding for being naff on another thread so tying yourself in knots a bit too But if highly intelligent footballers vote someone into the team of the season then that’s telling I suppose. Theo Bair and Owen Beck in there too, Shankland player of the year, so it’s superstars everywhere. The likes of Van Veen, Luis Lopes and Startelt last season. Get all of them to Ibrox too and get ready for a treble.

Maybe scum minded players gave Tav the vote as a wee thank you for folding when it was crunch time again, or maybe like yourself, he’s picked purely for numbers and being the only right back in the league who’s the figurehead for the side, certainly the only one hitting 20 spot kicks a season. 33 soon too so only going to get worse on the defensive side, but it’s not about Rangers it’s about Tav, and Goldson too apparently.
Think we can guess who'd be in your team of the season. Quite a few in hoops is my guess.

That’s witty. Well done.
And I’m a walloper according to this poster. There is a decent argument both ways for Tavernier; it shows how low this guy is in the IQ department that he has to attack an anonymous poster rather than try to defend the point he must be trying to make.

Reactions: WLF
I would chase Tavernier down Edmiston Drive he is a serial loser i couldnt care if he scores 300 goals he doesnt win league championships for Rangers he needs told to leave his time is well and truly up along with many others
100%! but for some reason he has a fan base more loyal to him that rangers. I can't believe people want him to stay yet again. His mentality is hindering our club year after year. Legend? teatimonial?, hall of fame?, if it wasn't so sad it would be funny. And it is to Those cretins across the city who will enjoy another party this weekend while we are devastated and he'll be planning another break in the sun to reflect and learn and go again.
Ask the Tav FC supporters this simple question. Has Tav benefited more from being a ranger, more than rangers have benefited from having Tav? We all know the answer and it makes me sick.

100%! but for some reason he has a fan base more loyal to him that rangers. I can't believe people want him to stay yet again. His mentality is hindering our club year after year. Legend? teatimonial?, hall of fame?, if it wasn't so sad it would be funny. And it is to Those cretins across the city who will enjoy another party this weekend while we are devastated and he'll be planning another break in the sun to reflect and learn and go again.
Ask the Tav FC supporters this simple question. Has Tav benefited more from being a ranger, more than rangers have benefited from having Tav? We all know the answer and it makes me sick.
You can put a capital letter at Tav, but not Rangers, sure you're not a "Tav FC" fan?

Didn't expect to see 11 pages suggesting Jack Butland as captain.

In all likelihood Tavernier will still be here and that means he'll stay captain.

Too many other positions to replace. Only positive might be, if we do replace every position that needs it with quality, Sterling can maybe play in his actual position when Tavernier has a loss of form as apposed to him just playing through as he's done in previous years.

It's a tough call as Butland will be sold and I can't see Tavernier being here either if we're serious about this overhaul.

Don't know who will be captain, but I was delighted to hear the gaffer say yesterday that we've reached the end of a cycle and their will be major changes over the summer. Beale made something like 9 signings last summer and far from freshening things up, he somehow contrived to make an already stale and ageing squad even worse. I'm much more confident Clement will ring the changes in the right way and there will be no sentiment involved.

Didn't expect to see 11 pages suggesting Jack Butland as captain.

In all likelihood Tavernier will still be here and that means he'll stay captain.

Too many other positions to replace. Only positive might be, if we do replace every position that needs it with quality, Sterling can maybe play in his actual position when Tavernier has a loss of form as apposed to him just playing through as he's done in previous years.

One of Tav or Goldson needs to go this summer. If even to make it look like we're attempting something fresh and different

We could bring in 8 new starters this summer. But if they're lining up alongside those two then teams(and one especially) will continue to target those two as our defensive weak spot. Can't be allowed to happen.

Gut feeling is that Clement will want younger, fitter, faster and more physically capable defenders that he can work with and drill the defensive structure into.

We need to move on and stop relying on a 32 year old for goals and assists,we need to scout midfielders and forwards to score and assist and make up Tavernier’s numbers we desperately need a fresh start and a RB that defends first and foremost this group of players are finished we need to replace them all asap hopefully the core group over the next couple of months
Spot on bud. We won't win a league with Tav and Goldson in our team. The evidence is overwhelming.

If Tav starts as Captain next season then Clement will be gone by December, Advocatt was ruthless enough to ditch Amo and make Barry captain 2 and a half years later 5 trophies won.
Advocaat stripped Amoruso of the captaincy after trying to sell him all summer. We won nothing after he did so and the manager’s decision created problems in the dressing room that we never recovered from until the Dutchman left.

Clement should be very wary about doing likewise.

Advocaat stripped Amoruso of the captaincy after trying to sell him all summer. We won nothing after he did so and the manager’s decision created problems in the dressing room that we never recovered from until the Dutchman left.

Clement should be very wary about doing likewise.

The revisionism over that decision is mental. First 18 months after he made Barry captain we lost to Celtic five times in a row, went out to Fenerbahce in the CL qualifiers, went out the cup to Dundee Utd and were miles behind in the title race.

It looked to have solved absolutely nothing until McLeish walked in the door and got everyone singing from the same hymn sheet.

11 pages of fantasy and delusion.

James Tavernier - Rangers Captain.
You don’t have to like it, you just have to accept it.
For many this issue is the most pertinent for next season. I for one will not be “accepting” if he is still a Rangers player next season. The Tavernier phenomena has went on for far too long.

For many this issue is the most pertinent for next season. I for one will not be “accepting” if he is still a Rangers player next season. The Tavernier phenomena has went on for far too long.
You won't be "accepting " what are you going to do ?

Just that, not accept it. There’s obviously nothing I can do but I don’t have to like it or accept it. I will squirm as we lose another manager and another season as the Tavernier road show goes on with it’s current values.
You will just moan on here or will you moan and berate him at the games

Well what are you going to do about it other than bleat on here?

Absolutely nothing is the answer. That’s not a personal dig, it’s a spoiler.

The captain wasn’t “pertinent” when we last won the league.
As i’ve said many times to you, surround our better players (and Tavernier is one of our better players) with better standard of players than we’ve had the past 3 seasons and we will win the league, It’s really that simple

Well what are you going to do about it other than bleat on here?

Absolutely nothing is the answer. That’s not a personal dig, it’s a spoiler.
Really don’t think it’s coming to that. Tavernier has lost too many supporters and his time is up. I’d argue you bleating on here is akin to flogging a dead horse, might I add not a personal dig either.

Really don’t think it’s coming to that. Tavernier has lost too many supporters and his time is up. I’d argue you bleating on here is akin to flogging a dead horse, might I add not a personal dig either.
I have no issue with people having differing opinions. Football is a polarising sport. When people can debate it like grown ups without having to resort to name calling etc then it’s refreshing.

I’m one of Tavs biggest fans. I’ll defend him to the death but I’ll also admit when he’s made mistakes and accept he has weaknesses. Some people don’t seem able to be objective about him. I’ve long said if we can get a better player then he will go, but for his 9 years here we haven’t. Will we this summer? I doubt it because let’s face it we haven’t the money and there are other areas of the team needing far more surgery this close season.

It will, and should, be James Henry Tavernier.
slide1-l.jpg

Which Rangers Captain has the most defeats to the bheasts as Captain?

I think Tav has been Captain for 10 Old Firm loses. John Greg was 9 I think. I haven't counted Barry Ferguson.

I have no issue with people having differing opinions. Football is a polarising sport. When people can debate it like grown ups without having to resort to name calling etc then it’s refreshing.

I’m one of Tavs biggest fans. I’ll defend him to the death but I’ll also admit when he’s made mistakes and accept he has weaknesses. Some people don’t seem able to be objective about him. I’ve long said if we can get a better player then he will go, but for his 9 years here we haven’t. Will we this summer? I doubt it because let’s face it we haven’t the money and there are other areas of the team needing far more surgery this close season.
There’s our biggest difference then, I’d say the most pertinent and important issue is removing James Tavernier and getting a new captain in. I think we need a fresh ethos running through the team and whilst I can agree that Tavernier has been fundamental in our recovery I now feel that he is a hindrance to get this fresh ethos. We need a new focal point and keeping the old one will in all likelihood cause further issues.

Which Rangers Captain has the most defeats to the bheasts as Captain?

I think Tav has been Captain for 10 Old Firm loses. John Greg was 9 I think. I haven't counted Barry Ferguson.

Ferguson lost 15.

3 in 00/01 (won 1)
2 in 01/02 (won 2)
2 in 02/03 (won 2)

3 in 05/06 (won 1)
1 in 06/07 (won 2)
2 in 07/08 (won 2)
2 in 08/09 (won 0)

One of Tav or Goldson needs to go this summer. If even to make it look like we're attempting something fresh and different

We could bring in 8 new starters this summer. But if they're lining up alongside those two then teams(and one especially) will continue to target those two as our defensive weak spot. Can't be allowed to happen.

Gut feeling is that Clement will want younger, fitter, faster and more physically capable defenders that he can work with and drill the defensive structure into.

The "end of the cycle" comments were very interesting yesterday.

Reactions: SDF
The "end of the cycle" comments were very interesting yesterday.

Agreed. That boils down to three players - Tav, Goldson and to a much lesser extent Lundstram.

Someone major is leaving. I don't think all three will leave but I'm convinced two of them won't be here next season.

Just that, not accept it. There’s obviously nothing I can do but I don’t have to like it or accept it. I will squirm as we lose another manager and another season as the Tavernier road show goes on with it’s current values.
They don't care mate, it's a weird situation, fans who actually put a player before the club, they don't even realise ether are doing it and actually think it's funny..

Based on what out of interest?

He seems very quiet on the pitch and in interviews and he spends a decent chunk of time injured?

Very quiet on the pitch? Your opinion.
For me he gives 100% in any position he plays. Like he commands his area he works in.
He always receives praise for his contribution from the support.
Whether that merits a captaincy, he'd be my choice.

11 pages of fantasy and delusion.

James Tavernier - Rangers Captain.
You don’t have to like it, you just have to accept it.
No Rangers fan has to accept mediocrity though. You’re obviously more than welcome to celebrate it, but some of us aren’t interested in doing any of that. No wonder the guys such a figure of fun on the other side of the city.

Last edited:
We will deserve absolutely nothing should the core of that defence remain. Whilst I applaud the services,demeanour and professionalism of Tav etc, We need pace, mentality and and freshness to rebuild

I think tav and Goldson will both be gone in the summer. Most likely I think the captain will be Butland given he is the only one there I would give it to. But I would prefer our next captain to be someone who is brought in this summer. Don’t really like captains being your gk.

I do not buy the notion that the Captaincy no longer has importance in Football - I think it’s a crucially role and when assigned and executed correctly can be of real benefit to the team and club.

However it’s not realistic to switch it from one to another on the assumption the previous Captain remains at the club.

If Tav goes, Butland should get it.

With Clements comments about the cycle coming to an end, I am hoping that means long serving players - Tav, Goldson, Jack, Lundstram are all gone and it’s a complete overhaul.

I really hope we sign Shankland - £3m and he will score us 30+ in the league with the chances we create - he would also be a potential captain option.

Captain options in current squad is very tough which I think more reflects the lack of characters and winners we have in the dressing room.

Butland would be the obvious choice but he is 99% leaving in the summer

With Clements comments about the cycle coming to an end, I am hoping that means long serving players - Tav, Goldson, Jack, Lundstram are all gone and it’s a complete overhaul.

I really hope we sign Shankland - £3m and he will score us 30+ in the league with the chances we create - he would also be a potential captain option.

Captain options in current squad is very tough which I think more reflects the lack of characters and winners we have in the dressing room.

Butland would be the obvious choice but he is 99% leaving in the summer
I believe Shankland can sign a pre-contract at the end of this month, that can help lower the final fee for him. Do think he is a good shout for our captain next season.

They don't care mate, it's a weird situation, fans who actually put a player before the club, they don't even realise ether are doing it and actually think it's funny..
It’s maybe more the wood from the trees idiom. They are so engrossed by statistics and final year personal trophies that they can’t see how detrimental he is to the team.

It’s maybe more the wood from the trees idiom. They are so engrossed by statistics and final year personal trophies that they can’t see how detrimental he is to the team.
Exactly, he'll score a pen on Saturday, after giving up another goal and "leading by example", and they'll all say ..."see he always stands up when needed"
He's detrimental to the team and the progress our club so badly needs.

Back