Clement Connor will have an important role in the next few weeks and next season also

A good few of us then.
We'll see next season and how much we get.
He's done at Ibrox.
Our manager say's different.

I await Clement coming out next week telling us Butland will be here next season. Obviously he'll be doing that to drive his price up because that's the way it works eh.

Our manager say's different.

I await Clement coming out next week telling us Butland will be here next season. Obviously he'll be doing that to drive his price up because that's the way it works eh.
Aye.
He must be telling the truth eh? Said Lammers was part of his plans a couple of days before he went on trial.
Naive or clueless, you are definitely 1 or the other.

Sure. If we want strength and depth, we may just need to accept that from a couple of players and replace them over the longer term.
If we are paying that to a fourth choice centre half, who is fourth choice for a reason, then we could be looking at another liquidation.

He should stay. Try and replace him by all means but if his replacement doesn’t work out we still have him in the squad, rather the Davies. Davies and Balogun should go before CG. We need to think in terms of squad strength.

Goldson has a contract for another few years, I always assumed he'd stay. However I believe Clement means he'll play a role as back up for next season.

Goldson has a contract for another few years, I always assumed he'd stay. However I believe Clement means he'll play a role as back up for next season.
Not with the wages he is reportedly on you'd think privately at the end of the season they'll be discussions going on with a view to moving him on.

Aye.
He must be telling the truth eh? Said Lammers was part of his plans a couple of days before he went on trial.
Naive or clueless, you are definitely 1 or the other.
And of course you know how to read what he is saying and he is definitely drìving his transfer fee up. Strange he's not done it with Butland, i mean one interview could put £1m on Butlands fee because that's definitely the way it works eh.

Honestly think the manager could tell posters their name isn't their actually name and they'd agree with him.

Do not take what Clement or any manager says in a press conference at face velue. Troy Deeney said what he wanted and lasted about 20 minutes before he was sacked.
I bet your name isn't actually The Golden God!

If we are paying that to a fourth choice centre half, who is fourth choice for a reason, then we could be looking at another liquidation.
We're paying £27k (supposedly) for our 4th choice at the moment and he's available way less than Goldson would be. So in reality we'd not be paying that much more but have improved the options available.

We're paying £27k (supposedly) for our 4th choice at the moment and he's available way less than Goldson would be. So in reality we'd not be paying that much more but have improved the options available.
Oh well, if you put it like that then you’ve won me over. Let’s blow £37k per week on a guy to sit on the bench then underachieve when he’s off it because he’s not quite as pish as Ben Davies.

If you remember, when Lammers was playing pish, the gaffer extolled his virtues and game management a few weeks before punting him. Why would you tell a player and potential buyers Goldson is not your plans, all you’d get is derisory offers for him and an unhappy player. He has to keep these guys on board until the end of the season. Then he’ll show his hand.

And of course you know how to read what he is saying and he is definitely drìving his transfer fee up. Strange he's not done it with Butland, i mean one interview could put £1m on Butlands fee because that's definitely the way it works eh.
Give it a rest.
I know football.
You obviously don't.
Embarrassing.

If you remember, when Lammers was playing pish, the gaffer extolled his virtues and game management a few weeks before punting him. Why would you tell a player and potential buyers Goldson is not your plans, all you’d get is derisory offers for him and an unhappy player. He has to keep these guys on board until the end of the season. Then he’ll show his hand.
Correct mate.
Tell @Now and forever that.

People need to remember that Goldson being here next season doesn't mean he is 1st choice. He could be 4th and he'd be a great 4th choice option.
Paying your 4th choice CB is not the sign of a progressive Rangers, it means we need to pay less elsewhere.

The manager is simply playing the game, what else can he say?

I wouldnt be one bit surprised if the manager keeps Goldson next season. He needs to want to leave, we need a buyer that meets our valuation and, most importantly, the manager needs to want to sell him. Despite the armchair managers on here claiming he is finished, we have no idea what Clement actually thinks. Its all guesswork and conjecture. Personally, I rate him and have loved him while he has been here but I would probably sell him. But, I trust the manager and if he wants to keep him then I will back him and back Goldson to recapture his form.

I wouldnt be one bit surprised if the manager keeps Goldson next season. He needs to want to leave, we need a buyer that meets our valuation and, most importantly, the manager needs to want to sell him. Despite the armchair managers on here claiming he is finished, we have no idea what Clement actually thinks. Its all guesswork and conjecture. Personally, I rate him and have loved him while he has been here but I would probably sell him. But, I trust the manager and if he wants to keep him then I will back him and back Goldson to recapture his form.
It’s conjecture either side of the argument for staying or going. All opinions unless it’s mystic Meg looking into the future.

@Orange Peel knows the manager is meaning the exact opposite from what he actually said and you are clueless if you can't see what he see's according to him and hs mind reading talent.

Strange guy.

The way people go on about Goldson you would think he was the worst player in the squad.

I do think his times up but, equally, it coukd be the fact he didn't have a preseason this year that's made him seem sluggish.

Just let the manager do his job.
Exactly- he’s been well below his previous standards this season but he’s 32 not 38.

We’re a support that loves to write players off. I’m not saying that if someone is interested we shouldn’t move him on but at the end of the day we are not in a position to pay him off so if no-one buys him he’ll be here next season so we need to support him to get back to his best level.

Paying your 4th choice CB is not the sign of a progressive Rangers, it means we need to pay less elsewhere.

The manager is simply playing the game, what else can he say?
He absolutely can't say anything else if he wants to manage things well but the whole argument about wages though isn't really an issue. If we move on Davies (I think most of us can agree that he needs to go before Goldson) then the difference between this seasons 4th choice (Davies) and next seasons (Goldson) is £10k. That has barely any impact on what we can pay elsewhere in the squad. Especially with the likes of Jack, Barisic, Roofe, etc all moving on and freeing up wages.

We also get the benefit of Goldsons availability vs Davies and if we're lucky Goldsons recent performances are just a temporary drop in form which a rest/good pre-season fixes. After all, he is one of many who has probably suffered from too much football and a bad pre-season. Particularly bad in his case as he went from a bad injury into rehab and then right into competitive games which isn't ideal and may just have caught up with him.

@Orange Peel knows the manager is meaning the exact opposite from what he actually said and you are clueless if you can't see what he see's according to him and hs mind reading talent.

Strange guy.
I'll bow to his superior knowledge and not the own first hand information from current first team players who have said how highly the staff rate him.

He absolutely can't say anything else if he wants to manage things well but the whole argument about wages though isn't really an issue. If we move on Davies (I think most of us can agree that he needs to go before Goldson) then the difference between this seasons 4th choice (Davies) and next seasons (Goldson) is £10k. That has barely any impact on what we can pay elsewhere in the squad. Especially with the likes of Jack, Barisic, Roofe, etc all moving on and freeing up wages.

We also get the benefit of Goldsons availability vs Davies and if we're lucky Goldsons recent performances are just a temporary drop in form which a rest/good pre-season fixes. After all, he is one of many who has probably suffered from too much football and a bad pre-season. Particularly bad in his case as he went from a bad injury into rehab and then right into competitive games which isn't ideal and may just have caught up with him.
I think we can all agree that both can go!

We can talk all day about the value of keeping/selling/releasing a player, but the principal stands - we shouldn't be paying more than £15kpw for a 4th choice CB, let alone £35kpw. That's the difference to £1M per season, it's a substantial chunk of money, which we need to either bank or reinvest wisely. Remember we're still loss making barring a windfall sale or CL money.

I think this shows the hold that two have in our team. Both him and Tav have got themselves into a position where managers are afraid to drop them so much so that he has to make public statements.
The quicker that two are out of our team the better, they have far too much of a stranglehold.
Cant be that afraid as he’s dropped Goldson.

Regardless of what clement says I’d imagine it’s likely the club and his agent are looking to move on, Clements hardly going to say he’s not in his plans for next season when we’re in a title race and he will likely still have minutes to play at some point

I think we can all agree that both can go!

We can talk all day about the value of keeping/selling/releasing a player, but the principal stands - we shouldn't be paying more than £15kpw for a 4th choice CB, let alone £35kpw. That's the difference to £1M per season, it's a substantial chunk of money, which we need to either bank or reinvest wisely. Remember we're still loss making barring a windfall sale or CL money.
Depends if we want to compete at the higher levels in Europe really. If we're looking at doing that then we likely need to pay more than 15k. It's hard to say what 15k a week for a defender in Scotland gets you because really only us and them do that and who knows if the "public" salary figures are right but if they are then 15k gets us a Taylor or Ralston, is a bit more than the budget for a Yilmaz level player and doesn't afford a Barisic. If that's our budget, and we let Goldson go then we don't have the depth for CL if we get 1-2 injuries and we end up back to the horrors of playing Sands and King type players in big Euro games. I'm not advocating for wild spending but there is a balance to be found and a Goldson level player who is already in the wage structure and doesn't therefore require a transfer fee either is ideal for making sure we have the strength and depth to compete domestically and in Europe in the short term.

Surely you realise he would be saying this about any first team player under contract, never mind one who had played 98% of games the last 5 years.

That is without factoring in the small possibility of winning a treble this season, so let’s be honest he isn’t going to say anything to upset any players unless he is stupid is he?

There’s a very good chance Goldson will still be here next season unless we receive a good offer for him in the summer.

Balogun is out of contract and 35 years of age while Davies doesn’t appear to be in the manager’s plans. That’s two centre backs we’re probably going to need to replace during the close season as it is with what is likely to be another relatively modest budget.

People may not like it, but in terms of managing his squad with the available resources, retaining Goldson’s experience and continuity may quite reasonably be something Clement feels is preferable.

Back