Clement needs a fast start next season

The key thing for me is whether we can see tangible progress. Gerrard made incremental gains throughout his time which culminated in 55. Despite our pathetic showing in the last 10 games, I think Clement starts from a much better place than Gerrard. We can’t stop Celtic from going out and spending £40m (which they could if they wanted to), what we can control is our is own progress.

If he clears out this team and gets a set up where you can see a system, players progressing and consistency of selection then I will be happy enough. We can’t get stuck in a short termism mentality of “we are losing this season so sack the manager and hope next guy tears it up with players who are not his own before commencing a rebuild”

It can’t take months for the new players to gel. If we lose Saturday the place will be toxic. A Beale like stuttering start and a defeat at parkhead and we will be in the same place we were under Beale. It might not be fair but it’s the reality
Yes it can if necessary. How we ever going to build something if we start losing our shit if a whole new squad takes time to gel together?

this reminds me of the beggars in the 90s constantly shouting for a manager change every season.
the reality is we need a complete turnover this year yet the other mob will outspend us in the summer. it really is a tough task. and we have a support at the end of it tether.
No matter how much they spend, they have a ceiling for players, willing to come to Scotland to ply their trade.

If they start next season with one or two changes, I doubt their fans would be disappointed.

If we start next season with two changes. That would be unacceptable.

I’ve got a horrible feeling that prick McInnes will be our manager within 12-18 months
The media will peddle it out as well
If Clement is behind before Christmas having gone out the champions league and lost the first game against them then it absolutely wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest.

Why are so many not seeing this? It has been proved time and again, that a revolving manager system just doesn't work.

We couldn't get off to a flier when souness came in and we certainly will not be bringing in the standard of player we did then or the required standard as used so often on here.

If I see improvement on the pitch as the season goes on, then that'll do for me. Good signs in place, some younger hungry players in the squad, stronger defence. It took Gerrard 3 seasons to get it sorted.

The manager is someone who knows his football as you don't take Bruges to the bernabeu and walk away disappointed with a draw, if your clueless. Don't take my word for it, look at the clubs continually changing managers, you'll see them further down their leagues or even relegated.
I know it doesn’t feel like it now but things can change in a blink of an eye.when we headed into advocaat’s third season.not one rangers fan thought anything other than we would win the league again.that was blown out of the water when we were annihilated at the piggery 6-2.

There is a trend with Rangers that isn't talked about enough, and it's that our form typically goes out the window after Christmas. Our number one priority should be signing fit players who can actually go the distance. I've already seen us linked on Twitter with guys who were injured last season. It's like we never learn....

It can’t take months for the new players to gel. If we lose Saturday the place will be toxic. A Beale like stuttering start and a defeat at parkhead and we will be in the same place we were under Beale. It might not be fair but it’s the reality
Not this gelling or bedding in malarky, the tims buy players like the Japanese or get new managers in and they dont need that.

There is a trend with Rangers that isn't talked about enough, and it's that our form typically goes out the window after Christmas. Our number one priority should be signing fit players who can actually go the distance. I've already seen us linked on Twitter with guys who were injured last season. It's like we never learn....
And the support are lapping it up. The likes of Traore etc. Support give the club the benefit of the doubt in every area. Injured players being brought in who can't last a half season never mind a full one will be worse than no use at all.

Let's start building the pressure already!

Clement proved he could get a tune out of players who, according to this forum, we all knew weren't up to it by September.

He needs time. Gerrard's team needed 3 years and since Milsom left the fitness has declined massively. That's the sort of levels we need though and they won't be achieved between now and August.

We either trust the manager and get behind him and what his team will look like, or we are that lot in the 90s, demanding a new manager and a new team every year.

Let's start building the pressure already!

Clement proved he could get a tune out of players who, according to this forum, we all knew weren't up to it by September.

He needs time. Gerrard's team needed 3 years and since Milsom left the fitness has declined massively. That's the sort of levels we need though and they won't be achieved between now and August.

We either trust the manager and get behind him and what his team will look like, or we are that lot in the 90s, demanding a new manager and a new team every year.
The past 6 games says if he thinks these serial losers . impostors are the acceptable at our club he's gone

It’s a massive summer and start to the season for the club as a whole. The reality is that we failed to kick on after 55 and are now in danger of slipping into a similar situation that we were when we came back up with that mob running away with things repeatedly.
The facts of the matter are we are a club that was built on repeated and consistent domestic success, and the fact that a board of Rangers supporters have over seen 3 trophies since our return to the Premiership tells its own story.

Some won’t like the facts, some will accept them, however this needs to be addressed and the club simply has to kick on this summer
Some on here make a career out of knife sharpening.

Fast start next season, going by a lot of posts on here today quite a few posters want him gone before the transfer window opens never mind starting the season

but yes there is very little margin for error now

in my opinion we did, all we had to do was beat them at home in front of a full house of Bears then take care of ross county and dundee and i reckon we were home
The fact is we didn't, our players seemed to run out of steam at the crucial time. If we were up for it, we might not be at our best, but still get these games over the line.

Why are so many not seeing this? It has been proved time and again, that a revolving manager system just doesn't work.

We couldn't get off to a flier when souness came in and we certainly will not be bringing in the standard of player we did then or the required standard as used so often on here.

If I see improvement on the pitch as the season goes on, then that'll do for me. Good signs in place, some younger hungry players in the squad, stronger defence. It took Gerrard 3 seasons to get it sorted.

The manager is someone who knows his football as you don't take Bruges to the bernabeu and walk away disappointed with a draw, if your clueless. Don't take my word for it, look at the clubs continually changing managers, you'll see them further down their leagues or even relegated.
Even clubs like Man United and Chelsea with all their money are a shambles changing managers all the time

The last thing we need is to sack another manager mid season, we’ve seen how well that’s worked out for us in the past. The last time we won the league it took our manger 3 attempts to do it. Hopefully it doesn’t come to this but if we do get off to a slow start we need to be more patient and give Clement more time than we gave Gio and Beale. We’re at danger of getting trapped in a vicious cycle, if we’re not already in it.

Clement needs backed by the board and by the fans.

The reality is that a cycle of backing then sacking managers is a guaranteed recipe for failure. The board took their time appointing Clement. They did their due diligence. He needs to be given the full season. If it goes tits-up then so be it but bringing in a new coach in October will only bring more problems like those we’re currently dealing with.
Imagine we go to the Scum Hut at the start of next season and lose heavily, finding ourselves several points adrift already as a result.

How easy do you think it’ll be to convince the support we should stick with Clement simply because we need to break the cycle of the past few years?

He needs to give us something to invest our hope into.

The Scottish Cup would be perfect.

Christ our team can’t start a game without been on back foot.I want a team who believe their teammates will help them if they’re struggling.A team that remembers it’s more than 90 minutes in a game .A game can be won in first minute but lost In last.A team that’s says we will win together or lose together.I hate games when I see nothing and nobody can convince me it’s changing.I don’t like what I seen this season except a few games.But like everyone roll on next week and next season.Rant over

We need to see an absolute difference in intent when we take to the field on day one. Where we can all see a change and a desire to show we are taking this!

We’re already seeing the perils of appointing Clement mid season.

He’s inherited scar tissue, and there is much more pressure on him now than if he was given the job in summer time.

I really think if the board were serious about him they should have managed to the end of this season with a caretaker, cleared the decks of the squad, and let him start with a clean slate.

Bin this nonsense of handing out 3.5 year contacts also.

Fans need to screw the nut.

We can't keep sacking managers every season because people can't handle losing to that lot or them overtaking our trophies. They had to get us kicked out of the league to get anywhere near us.

We need to give a manager time to build a squad over multiple windows because we don't have the finances to overhaul the entire squad in one window for a start.

If it gets to you that bad then find another hobby every Saturday because the negativity in the support is going to swallow the club if we aren't careful.

We can’t just keep replacing managers in October and November year.

Clement looked like a miracle worker for the first few months. We were excellent and were barely conceding a chance let alone a goal.

Then something happened, not sure what.

Injuries took toll? Players decided they didn’t fancy him or fancy the title run in?

What I do know is he needs to weed out all those who aren’t up to it and start again.
We found ourselves favourites for the league. The serial bottlers then revert to type.

I appreciate our injuries have been horrific, however, the above point still stands.

Fans need to screw the nut.

We can't keep sacking managers every season because people can't handle losing to that lot or them overtaking our trophies. They had to get us kicked out of the league to get anywhere near us.

We need to give a manager time to build a squad over multiple windows because we don't have the finances to overhaul the entire squad in one window for a start.

If it gets to you that bad then find another hobby every Saturday because the negativity in the support is going to swallow the club if we aren't careful.
That only works if there’s signs of progress. If it’s like Gerrard and there’s noticeable progress then yes.

That only works if there’s signs of progress. If it’s like Gerrard and there’s noticeable progress then yes.
The season fell apart because of the injury situation. You can't keep losing players and expect to win regardless.

Coupled with the scum getting back to almost full strength at the same time.

We can't just wave a magic wand and have a full strength squad for next week.

Can debate it all day long but he’ll need to win at Parkhead in the first old firm next season. If he doesn’t, he’ll have problems with the support.

Can debate it all day long but he’ll need to win at Parkhead in the first old firm next season. If he doesn’t, he’ll have problems with the support.
Here's how next season will go then. The manager will be under pressure before the end of the first qtr. We will hound him out the job soon after, God knows who we'll get in. Roll on a few months and the new man will be under pressure, they win the league. Summer clear out and the manager must get off to a flier and repeat for the following season.

That's how it will go, as it does every season.

Last edited:
If Clement is behind before Christmas having gone out the champions league and lost the first game against them then it absolutely wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest.
It also wouldn't surprise me if a malaise set in with that lot and they start to turn on Rodgers again, while we sail off into the distance.

It's a funny old game.

Imagine we go to the Scum Hut at the start of next season and lose heavily, finding ourselves several points adrift already as a result.

How easy do you think it’ll be to convince the support we should stick with Clement simply because we need to break the cycle of the past few years?

He needs to give us something to invest our hope into.

The Scottish Cup would be perfect.

I don’t expect it to be easy at all but that is a mess of the board’s making and they’re in the positions they’re in to take the heat when it comes their way.

If he guts the place as is needed, we will be fortunate to win anything next season. The rot needs cut out of the club, and as such it shouldn’t be a surprise if things get worse before they get better.

So fans having an issue if he loses the first old firm is a problem indeed.

Should we play to win everything? Absolutely, but it doesn’t mean it will happen nor should we expect it as we go through a protracted reset as a club.

All IMO of course, clearly the place is divided on what could, should and must happen going forward.

EDIT: this might sound defeatist, which is not where I’m coming from at all. The FIRST thing that’s required from every player is a winning attitude, that should be a pre-requisite before kicking a ball. None of this celebrating goals in dead rubbers and giving it the big-un to the Union Bears.

Last edited:
He had a fast start with this group of players however if there is big changes then there will be some early bumps in the road. We will not be changing the manager again anytime soon. He needs a few transfer windows to fix everything and it's not going to be easy

Here's how next season will go then. The manager will be under pressure before the end of the first qtr. We will hound him out the job soon after, God knows who we'll get in. Roll on a few months and the new man will be under pressure, they win the league. Sumner clear out and the manager must get off to a flier and repeat for the following season.

Derek fkn McInnis seems to be the man a lot of this forum seem to want. Clement is here to stay, he has said he's got a lot to sort out behind the scenes that's before you even look at the playing squad. The board need to back him and allow him to implement his plans.

The alternative, as you say is rinse and repeat every year with a new manager while that mob cruise title after title. I just hope the board stand by him and don't listen to the moon howlers in our suppor of which there are many.

He had a fast start with this group of players however if there is big changes then there will be some early bumps in the road. We will not be changing the manager again anytime soon. He needs a few transfer windows to fix everything and it's not going to be easy
100% mate but in the social media age our fans will be going ballistic as they can't take a slagging off that lot on twitter or whatever.

He needs a few windows as you say and the board need to stand firm in backing him or we will be here next year talking about another manager needing to beat that lot in the 1st game or he's under pressure. It needs to stop, we need to give Phil time to sort us out, I trust him to do so but it will take a while, fans will just need to accept it, changing managers again mid season next year just can't be an option.

100% mate but in the social media age our fans will be going ballistic as they can't take a slagging off that lot on twitter or whatever.

He needs a few windows as you say and the board need to stand firm in backing him or we will be here next year talking about another manager needing to beat that lot in the 1st game or he's under pressure. It needs to stop, we need to give Phil time to sort us out, I trust him to do so but it will take a while, fans will just need to accept it, changing managers again mid season next year just can't be an option.
It's the only way mate. We all know this advise will not be heeded though. Maybe some year the penny might drop.

As for that mob giving us a hard time on whatever with social media, there's an easy answer for that, keep away from them.

The only time i see their garbage is on here, so it's nothing that bothers me. Had a bit of banter with them outside, always have, but trying to joust with them on social media is madness. There's more than enough maniacs on there than anyone can possibly handle and I don't just mean with football.

Here's how next season will go then. The manager will be under pressure before the end of the first qtr. We will hound him out the job soon after, God knows who we'll get in. Roll on a few months and the new man will be under pressure, they win the league. Sumner clear out and the manager must get off to a flier and repeat for the following season.

Some people won't be happy til we've got Derek McInnes as manager and we're out of Europe before the actual season starts.

Edit: just seen @EckP said similar

Back