Clement not beating Rodgers

He will get judged on his new squad next season. But if he doesn’t hit the ground running then he will come under severe pressure.
He needs the Scottish cup to carry the momentum into the new campaign.
If he doesn’t then rightly or wrongly the fans will be on his back.

I don't think we can say it is not his team but more the fact that the players he has inherited are of a poor quality.
It is not Rodgers team but he but he has got them beating us unfortunately.

I think he has to start wisening up. Yeah, it isn't his players, but everybody I spoke to and on FF wanted Sterling in midfield alongside Diomande and Lundstram, but he persevered with Sterling out wide and an attacking midfielder who doesn't track back, again.
As far as I am concerned this was a huge mistake, yes the players he inherited are poor, but he seems to be utilising them extremely poorly at this point in time. He will be here next season irrespective of the Cup final result, I hope he proves to be the manager I thought he was shaping up to be at the end of February.

He's persevering with Sterling outwide at present because the alternative is McCausland or Wright. He tried playing Cantwell outwide at the beginning of his tenure and it led to Cantwell being hauled off at Hampden. We don't have a plethora of competent options at present.

The only reason Sterling doesn't play in midfield at the moment, is down to the inadequacy and inefficiency in other areas of the team. That's the brutal reality. I wish people would stop pretending otherwise.

Our best wing options at the moment are a striker and a fullback.

Every time Lundstrum plays well there’s a clamour on here to give him a new contract.
We need runners in midfield and we need to stop the long ball football. Phil has to get it right from the word go next season or I believe the board will panic and get rid.

If that does become reality I wouldn’t be surprised if we appoint Derek McInnes, as he regularly gives them a game and has done a great job for the sheep and now Kilmarnock.

If Killie beat them on Wednesday, there will be a few bears wishing he was in our dug out for the final.

Tbh I would have given McInnes the job at the time and I’m convinced he would have made a better fist of it had he been in the position Clement was in with the squad pre Motherwell.

Clement has failed.

Most of us can see we are poor to watch. Most of us don’t care if we are poor to watch as long as we win games. But our form is horrendous.

Now it looks like the players have downed tools.

In 12 months time, we will be on here moaning about Celtic getting title 55 as we repeat the mistakes of the past.

I wish I was wrong but PC doesn’t get it. Our best and most effective player is Sterling and we all know, deep down, if everyone was fit, Sterling wouldn’t be playing.

In Scotland, you need to win the battle, before you can play. Launching long balls to Dessers doesn’t work.

Only been three times hopefully with his own players next year be a different story
What makes you think Phil is the right person? I think yesterday showed up massive concerns. Yesterday will see them come close to matching our trophy haul which they will undoubtedly surpass something that looked impossible 20 years ago.

Tbh I would have given McInnes the job at the time and I’m convinced he would have made a better fist of it had he been in the position Clement was in with the squad pre Motherwell.
Mcinnes had his chance shouldn't be getting another opportunity

Over the 4 domestic games, then we can't expect to win the league

Feel like the pressures on him for the Cup Final, he needs to get that right

Tactics, selections, desire, all room for improvement
Clement done a great job with this team winning a trophy and having us in a title race but he needs to show them less respect and start getting results against them. The cup final is huge now and the pressure is on Clement and the team to deliver.

The main thing that worries me about Rangers managers is that we always seem to keep doing the same thing.

Neil Lennon of all people was clever enough to realise he needed to change things up and moved to a 352. Why can’t our managers ever seem to change something that gets us out of a rut.

He's persevering with Sterling outwide at present because the alternative is McCausland or Wright. He tried playing Cantwell outwide at the beginning of his tenure and it led to Cantwell being hauled off at Hampden. We don't have a plethora of competent options at present.

The only reason Sterling doesn't play in midfield at the moment, is down to the inadequacy and inefficiency in other areas of the team. That's the brutal reality. I wish people would stop pretending otherwise.

Our best wing options at the moment are a striker and a fufullback.
That's fine against other teams but not Old Firm games which are won and lost in the midfield. And especially against this Celtic team, whose 3 best players literally are their midfield. He really needs to wake up to this.

I've said it in similar threads.

Clement is doing this with a hand behind his back. It's not his team, he was given no budget. Proper game changing first teamers are missing ( sima, Cortes, Danilo, Rabbi)

Yesterday was massively disappointing. But it was caused my individuals/ Lundstrum. We finished the game with ten men , one centre half ( who has played in months and is 4th choice) , not a single fan in the stadium and in the last 15 mins, we were the team most likely to score.

That is all due to a proper manager and leader. He is getting more out of a group of duds than anyone imagined when he first came in.

Listen if he gets the keys to the kingdom and blows it, that's on him. But currently this is not on him.

I've said it in similar threads.

Clement is doing this with a hand behind his back. It's not his team, he was given no budget. Proper game changing first teamers are missing ( sima, Cortes, Danilo, Rabbi)

Yesterday was massively disappointing. But it was caused my individuals/ Lundstrum. We finished the game with ten men , one centre half ( who has played in months and is 4th choice) , not a single fan in the stadium and in the last 15 mins, we were the team most likely to score.

That is all due to a proper manager and leader. He is getting more out of a group of duds than anyone imagined when he first came in.

Listen if he gets the keys to the kingdom and blows it, that's on him. But currently this is not on him.
Are you not concerned that he is on record as wanting Lundstram to sign a new contract?

Are you not concerned that he is on record as wanting Lundstram to sign a new contract?
I think its an offer on our terms.

He had to keep the dressing room galvanised with two trophies to win. We know Lundstrum is very influential in the dressing and by publicly dissing him, he may have lost it.

It's proper leadership

His tactics yesterday were a major reason for our downfall. Tom Lawrence in midfield was never going to work.

Could you imagine Walter ever leaving the midfield so empty at the Piggery? Gerrard would regularly play a midfield three of Davis, Jack and Kamara. Both managers knew that you needed to win the midfield battle to have any chance.

Clement hasn’t learned this lesson after three attempts, which is a cause for concern.

He has to change things in the final. If he had Matondo and Sima available he has to think about something like:
Butland
Tavernier Souttar Balogun Yilmaz
Raskin Sterling Diomande
McCausland Sima Matondo

Pace and energy are our only chance of beating them until we upgrade that first eleven.

Our best wing options at the moment are a striker and a fullback.
Agree, but a midfield 3 that includes Lawrence or acantwell does not cut it against the filth. If need be, weaken the wing option to strengthen the midfield, at least until 60 wins against them, their press etc may have slowed by 5hen, giving more time and space for a Cantwell or Lawrence.

His tactics yesterday were a major reason for our downfall. Tom Lawrence in midfield was never going to work.

Could you imagine Walter ever leaving the midfield so empty at the Piggery? Gerrard would regularly play a midfield three of Davis, Jack and Kamara. Both managers knew that you needed to win the midfield battle to have any chance.

Clement hasn’t learned this lesson after three attempts, which is a cause for concern.
Walter had game changers throughout the team.

Gerrard had Kent, who could terrorise them and a striker who ( whilst not always affective against them) scared them. Plus he was up against a Neil Lennon team.

He is shuffling a pack loaded against him. Cantwell, who I prefer, spat the dummy last week and deserved dropped. I don't rate lawerence but on last weekend,he deserved the start.

I'll say it again, except wee Dio, these aren't his players.

When he has his own team - let’s see. The tranny shagger has got lucky in those games let’s not forget, how many disallowed goals have they had that were wrong in these games?

Love this line

Rodgers is pumping us with someone else’s team.

Football is more about what you do with the players not what the players can do.

Hearts and Kilmarnock have both beaten celtic twice each this season, they can come up with a formation to beat them, why can’t we.

The main thing that worries me about Rangers managers is that we always seem to keep doing the same thing.

Neil Lennon of all people was clever enough to realise he needed to change things up and moved to a 352. Why can’t our managers ever seem to change something that gets us out of a rut.
Football managers are all stubborn and refuse to admit they might be wrong. Must be the most common reason for getting sacked. Is that what they teach at the training courses in Perth? Pick a tactic, 90% of the starting 11, and formation and absolutely refuse to change it? They all seem to do it, it's mental.

His set up in these games is baffling. The fact he’s not learned from his mistakes in these games is major red flag for me. Cup final is a big test for him, get beat and he’ll be going into next season with a lot of pressure on his back.

I think its an offer on our terms.

He had to keep the dressing room galvanised with two trophies to win. We know Lundstrum is very influential in the dressing and by publicly dissing him, he may have lost it.

It's proper leadership
He's utterly out of his depth against Hatate and O'Riley and Forrest.
He can't get anywhere near them, hence the frustration which led to his meltdown.
If he gets a new contract on any terms it's utterly awful leadership.

His set up in these games is baffling. The fact he’s not learned from his mistakes in these games is major red flag for me. Cup final is a big test for him, get beat and he’ll be going into next season with a lot of pressure on his back.
These games are crying out for Sterling man marking McGregor. If that means Scott Wright on the wing, so be it, but hopefully Sima will be back.

If we had beaten Motherwell, Ross County and Dundee we wouldn't have needed to beat them.

We should have won those three games.

The players just don't want it enough. You need a winner's mentality to be successful.

The Tramps swagger abouit like winners believing they're going to win the game. We look defeated before we even take to the park.

He has made some mistakes(every manager in world football does). it's a bit like going into a gun fight with one bullet loaded and then shooting yourself in the foot at the start with that one bullet!!

He's been hamstrung by the last two(maybe more) managers poor decisions on squad building and not getting rid of the players who keep shifting the bed against them!!

This summer will be telling, if he doesn't clear out the squad of the "leaders" then we are damned to repeat the mistakes of the past.

Strong, athletic players with a desire to work and fight for everything is a minimum. Add to that some ability and we will be on the right tracks.

Quality of players to do what's asked of them is the biggest area of improvement.

None of the front 3 on any kind of wavelength with each other. So disjointed.
Well coached players do what is asked of them. The reality is that we don’t seem to have much coherence in the team at all. Not sure how the Clement is beyond reproach gang rationalise that to themselves?

The players just don't want it enough. You need a winner's mentality to be successful.

The Tramps swagger abouit like winners believing they're going to win the game. We look defeated before we even take to the park.
Well Clement said it wasn’t a “must-win game” after all…

Love this line

Football is more about what you do with the players not what the players can do.

Hearts and Kilmarnock have both beaten celtic twice each this season, they can come up with a formation to beat them, why can’t we.
Meh - he had a better squad to begin with. This combined with our so called leaders being shit scared of them makes it easy for them. This squad of players are beat before they even kick a ball against them.

He's utterly out of his depth against Hatate and O'Riley and Forrest.
He can't get anywhere near them, hence the frustration which led to his meltdown.
If he gets a new contract on any terms it's utterly awful leadership.
I think its been offered to pacify him for the remainder of the season. We can all see how poor he is,Clement will too

We can’t keep binning managers.
The squad needs gutted.

The squad can be gutted no matter who's the manager.

It's just a fact that a Rangers manager who can't beat them won't last long in the job.

IF we do lose the final which is very likely let's be honest, as a club we do need to at least sit round the table and discuss if we truly believe we have the right men in place

The squad can be gutted no matter who's the manager.

It's just a fact that a Rangers manager who can't beat them won't last long in the job.

IF we do lose the final which is very likely let's be honest, as a club we do need to at least sit round the table and discuss if we truly believe we have the right men in place
I’m prepared to give him a full season bringing in his own players. He can’t be blamed for the same group of players that been folding under the slightest bit of pressure for years now.
If he struggles against them next season, questions will righty be asked.

How can you judge Clement against Rodgers when Clement came in because we were shite and still has the shite players. The same players that couldn't beat them when Beale was here.

Rodgers has been here all season and has had much more money than Clement.

Clement got is further in Europe and won the League Cup.

Pathetic to just say he can't beat Rodgers without any context.

Meh - he had a better squad to begin with. This combined with our so called leaders being shit scared of them makes it easy for them. This squad of players are beat before they even kick a ball against them.

Nah not having that

Swap managers dugouts and we beat them every day of the week.

Rodgers is playing Clement like a fiddle, he’s having fun with him.

Clement was coming out before the game yesterday saying it wasn’t a must win game, a loser mentality that seeps down through the players.

And
Over the 4 domestic games, then we can't expect to win the league

Feel like the pressures on him for the Cup Final, he needs to get that right

Tactics, selections, desire, all room for improvement
…..and the players need to step up….some have checked out already knowing they are off at the end of the season… doesn’t matter if your fucking Pep…the players need to go out and stick to the plan and it’s been obvious with Phil’s comments that the players we have haven’t been following the game plan…

All this clement has failed chat, if he wins the final which is possible, he's just achieved a domestic double. Which would be the 1st since our return to the top flight.
Progress is the aim of the game, back him and I think he'll deliver the league.
A domestic double and losing the league by 3 points, there isn't this great gulf in class between us and them as it stands, its pretty marginal, and if we were not so unfortunate with injuries, and the odd dodgy decission, we could have done the trebble, he's done not bad with these misfits, let's see what he can do with his own

All this clement has failed chat, if he wins the final which is possible, he's just achieved a domestic double. Which would be the 1st since our return to the top flight.
Progress is the aim of the game, back him and I think he'll deliver the league.
A domestic double and losing the league by 3 points, there isn't this great gulf in class between us and them as it stands, its pretty marginal, and if we were not so unfortunate with injuries, and the odd dodgy decission, we could have done the trebble, he's done not bad with these misfits, let's see what he can do with his own
6 points

Nah not having that

Clement was coming out before the game yesterday saying it wasn’t a must win game, a loser mentality that seeps down through the players.
The fact that he came out with this and intimated that a draw would be sufficient is cause for concern.

He needs to mix things up a bit for the final and try and pull a surprise but we all know Lundstram will be the first name on the teamsheet.

Quality of players to do what's asked of them is the biggest area of improvement.

They just have better players than us especially going fwd. It's a crippler to admit but look how often they played themselves into clear shooting positions today through quick passing with cohesive movement. The number of times oriley alone in the first half was played into a clear shooting position around the edge of area was mad. Contrast that to us, no link up or structure to our attack at all. None of the front 3 on any kind of wavelength with each other. So disjointed.
Spot on m8, in a nutshell. They pass it quick when it matters, we’re pass take a touch pass take a touch. F****n infuriating.

Rodgers easily predicated the style of our play, the tactics and characteristics, because it's the same story every tine. That's why he was so cocky leading up to the game, it was crying out for Clement to throw a Curve Ball or a wee surprise. But no same old, same old play. Unless Clement does something unusual, it'll be the same old result in the final, I'm praying for a miracle tbh

Love this line

Yep it’s kind of been forgotten that they starting with some absolutely bang average players like Taylor, Scales, Maeda, Iwata, Kühn, Palma & Idah most weeks. These are players who wouldn’t even be cleaning boots in the dressing room for that lot in the the 2000’s era.

If that mob’s board weren’t so frugal we’d be in very serious trouble going forward.

I’m interested in seeing what he is going to do in the summer to address the injury situation. He said last week he knows what the problem is and will fix it in the summer

Nah not having that

Meh - up to you. We don’t agree.

The fact that he came out with this and intimated that a draw would be sufficient is cause for concern.

He needs to mix things up a bit for the final and try and pull a surprise but we all know Lundstram will be the first name on the teamsheet.
He absolutely did not intimate that a draw would be sufficient. He was asked if it was a must win game and he said even if you lose you can win but for me it’s a long shot, too much of a long shot, with a draw also. We will go totally full for the win of course.

People can debate whether he should have publicly conceded the title in advance of a possible result in a game that hasn’t been played yet but let’s at least deal with what he actually said. Souttar and Butland both described it as must win in the pre match press stuff so it’s quite clear what the message was

Back