Clement on a hiding to nothing

Our issue is our wage structure.

We struggle to get rid of players because most of them wouldn't get as much money anywhere else.

It needs to be addressed.
Absolutely. Scott wright being a good example. He won’t leave to play first team football in Turkey because his wage is so high. No harm to him at all, but we need to negotiate a wage structure that incentivises performances.

Folk saying on this thread if goldson and Tav stay phase them out. They are high earners at the club they need to go if not starting. Matondo, Lawrence, cantwell all the same. The days of carrying high earners as squad players need to be over. There can’t be any loyalty to players now.

We’ve won next to nothing with them in the squad. Be ruthless, build his own team and move from there with younger, hungrier players.

Clements Brugge team were extremely fast in transition and very fit. If that’s his style then he needs younger players. Playing 30+ year olds and poorer quality players will be his downfall.

Goldson will be a much harder shift than Tav.
Goldson is a problem but atleast he is able to play unlike Davies and to an extent Balogun, Lundstram is in the same boat, went through a really strong bit of form but fell away and hasnt been able to be swapped out due to the likes of Jack being injured, Sterling needing to play Right wing and Left back. Could say the same for Tav, was playing well until recently, again cant play Sterling at Rb because of injuries at other positions and a chancer like Borna.

Tav, Goldson and Lundstram are not the biggest issue for me, yes they have fallen short time and time but they are nearly always there to play, we have a 2nd 11 that is injured or unable to play, thats the big issue.

Borna Davies Balogun
Jack Raskin Dowell
Danilo Roofe Sima Cortes Matondo thats 11 off the top of my head that have been out for long periods this season. Some obviously not their fault but its still come back to bite us.

Lundstram on 30 plus a week shlould be replaced with a better footballer. But he puts himself into contention for a start even when hes carrying knocks and loss of form, if hes just told to screen the defence and win duels hes fine, he cant be the one to dictate play and create chances, he needs a player or two in there to do that.

Tav and Sterling can fight it out for Rb

Goldson could stay and be part of a fit and available set of CB's.
So it's fine if they play s@@t as long as they stay fit. You don't half read some nonsense on here.

Goldson will be a much harder shift than Tav.

So it's fine if they play s@@t as long as they stay fit. You don't half read some nonsense on here.
Thats not what im saying, the manager isnt able to swap them out when they are playing shit because the squads full of guys like Davies, Jack, Roofe, Borna etc. Who do we drop Goldson, Tav and Lundstram for last week? Jacks injured, Bornas chucked it or is finished, Davies is MIA, Balogun was out with a sickness bug. If we were getting our money worth out of the likes we would be in a far better position.

We have nearly 11 players out or who are just coming back that should be able to play. Yilmaz,Borna, Davies, Balogun, Jack, Raskin,Cortes,Sima, Dowell, Matondo, Danilo off the top of my head, have all missed big chunks of games or are still missing the now. All of those guys are possible first team starters or should be with the sort of wages they will be on.

I get that Tav, Goldson and Lundstram are out of form and playing piss poor but what the change? Raskin for Lundstram? Boys been shocking all season and still has never loomed fit for 90m, Jacks out injured, Sterling has to take the place of a croatian international left back because hes checked out. Tav needs to play because sterling has to play in midfield or left back. Goldson has to play because the manager was monitoring souttars fitness and Balogun has been in a face mask and missed the last game with injury.

We were in a similar position at the end of GvBs first season where it was obvious the squad needed gutted but there was just no way we were going to see a turnover of 12-15 players.

It's the exact same position we're in again, yes some will move on especially the ooc lot but in all likelihood quite a few of those being slated at the moment will still be here including Tav, Goldson, Davies, Wright etc

Clement has a very difficult task ahead of him to build a squad for next season especially if we need to move on players like Butland and Yilmaz to have any decent kind of transfer budget.
I remember a discussion on H&H about the Ajax model where there's no trophies as the new generation comes through and build towards dominance. Team then gets split and new generation starts again.

Consensus was that no way rangers fans would sacrifice seasons of nothing

The Diomande money will already be budgeted for.
I think the diomande signing was a gamble because we could get him on a loan to buy obligation. Clement said there was no money for a signing in Jan. That's why shankland was never happening

We did what we could

No way Tav and Goldson are

No way Tav and Goldson are playing 50+ games next season. They'll be lucky to get half that if they're still here. Clement aint daft and he isn't going to ignore what's staring him straight in the face.
He's playing them now because he has to. They're contracted next season. Upwards of 8 won't be. It'll be a monumental close season if we replace everyone in the squad that we think needs replacing

We were in a similar position at the end of GvBs first season where it was obvious the squad needed gutted but there was just no way we were going to see a turnover of 12-15 players.

It's the exact same position we're in again, yes some will move on especially the ooc lot but in all likelihood quite a few of those being slated at the moment will still be here including Tav, Goldson, Davies, Wright etc

Clement has a very difficult task ahead of him to build a squad for next season especially if we need to move on players like Butland and Yilmaz to have any decent kind of transfer budget.
We can’t afford to replace the whole team - the spine of the team should be the priority

Absolutely. Scott wright being a good example. He won’t leave to play first team football in Turkey because his wage is so high. No harm to him at all, but we need to negotiate a wage structure that incentivises performances.
Probably more he was happy getting anyway wage rather than risk turkey nonsense

I suspect Tav and Goldson will be here next season however, they shouldn’t be playing 50+ games for us.

If they leave along with some of the others expected, we are looking at a rebuild that a our budget won’t support.

The two of them combined have played a huge number of games over the last 3 or 4 years - thats really starting to show
I think one of them will go. Either way we need a new centre back and a right full back

I think Clement wants to go through the place, total new broom. His problem imo will be the old guard. Hopefully he has full backing of his employers.
He he doesnt clear out the old guard, recent signings etc then he will be another manager who will loose their job with us.

He's playing them now because he has to. They're contracted next season. Upwards of 8 won't be. It'll be a monumental close season if we replace everyone in the squad that we think needs replacing
That is exactly what we need. For all people are saying we can't afford to replace Goldson and Tav, we can't afford not to because I can guarantee we will be in this exact same position in 12 months talking about their form falling off a cliff when the pressure is on.

We should be replacing as many as the budget allows and shifting as many as we get reasonable offers for. None of this shite about 'too big a turnover might be a disaster', enduring Lundstram and Goldson fumbling about like fuds for another season is a disaster.

As much as we all like the idea of starting next season with a new squad and getting rid of the bottle merchants Tav, Goldson, Lundstrum etc... I think we're going to be left disappointed.

Tav is 32, Goldson is 31 and luckily Lundstrum is out of contract. Finding teams to take Tav and Goldson on the wages they're on will be hard going, plus the added factor of having the £ to replace them?

This is where he's on a hiding to nothing imo because if they can't find clubs or he wants to keep them then he won't get much sympathy from the fans next season when it inevitably starts to go wrong again.

We have 9 players due to leave when their contracts expire which will free up a good % of the wage bill with a few ? marks over another 6/7 not including Goldson or Tav.

The manager imo will see this as too much of a rebuild getting rid of them all so we might be left with a good few of the let downs from this season come pre season.
You don't have to spend big money to find hard working quality players from European leagues.

McLaughlin
McCrorie

Davies
Balogun
Barisic

Jack
Dowell

Roofe
Silva

Will definitely be away I feel. McCrorie perhaps on loan.

A £10M+ bid would probably move Butland on. Still a chance that Ridvan goes I’m afraid.

Decent bids could see Raskin, Lawrence, Cantwell, Matondo and Dessers gone.

I’d be happy to see us free up Lundstram wages and move Goldson, but I’m not sure we will. Everyone has a price, but not sure Clement would want to lose 10+ players this summer.

I actually think the manager probably wants to keep Lundstram. He’s fine if he isn’t the only midfielder like he’s been most of 2024. Not great, but fine.

Tavernier is IMO our best player still. Surround him with better players and we should get better results.

Goldson looks done. It pains me to say it because I think he’s still the best we have and second best CB in the league, but he’s losing more duels than he’s winning this season. I can’t see him moving on though due to wages and age unless an English Championship side fancy a veteran.

We are at Gerrard levels of revolution again, unfortunately though no manager will get the time Gerrard got & even at that covid probably saved Gerrards job as well.
He is. Which is exactly the problem. He’s regressing at a ridiculous rate and is still our best centre-back; that is a damning indictment of our recruitment and quality of the squad.

Managers don't always share the views of the fans (or elements of the fans) of course. Plus they might know things about the background to players' loss of form that fans don't. Players will definitely be leaving, a fair chunk of wages will be freed, we will surely be able to pay fees (though how much is open to question). I would like us to keep the best of what we have and add the best quality we can get, strengthening the squad. We'll see what the new recruitment set-up can do.
Agreed. Managers definitely have a different perspective to fans, especially behind the scenes. There will be players they may feel are crucial to the dressing room, strong personalities who lead by example on the training ground, etc. There could be players that fit the system they're trying to implement long term incorporating with their own signings.

Beale had a very good start last season and with a lot of the same players remember. If he had used his funds better he might still be here and we're all praising players like Lundstram, Tav, Goldson instead of talking about moving them on.

Tav will still be here and probably still captain imo. Goldson is 31 and has two years left on his contract, doubt he's going anywhere. Our best hope is players like Dessers and Lammers go out on loan, I doubt anyone is buying them. Danilo I think could be a good player when fit and given proper service.

However the season ends, Clement will have had around 45 games in charge. He'll know what he needs and doesn't. Let's hope he'll have the benefit of Champions League money to help with that too. Not over!!!

As much as we all like the idea of starting next season with a new squad and getting rid of the bottle merchants Tav, Goldson, Lundstrum etc... I think we're going to be left disappointed.

Tav is 32, Goldson is 31 and luckily Lundstrum is out of contract. Finding teams to take Tav and Goldson on the wages they're on will be hard going, plus the added factor of having the £ to replace them?

This is where he's on a hiding to nothing imo because if they can't find clubs or he wants to keep them then he won't get much sympathy from the fans next season when it inevitably starts to go wrong again.

We have 9 players due to leave when their contracts expire which will free up a good % of the wage bill with a few ? marks over another 6/7 not including Goldson or Tav.

The manager imo will see this as too much of a rebuild getting rid of them all so we might be left with a good few of the let downs from this season come pre season.
How about he just picks the best 11 for the remaining games as he's failed to do that last 3 matches.

I'm 100% with you there in everything you say butreplacing him costs £ we don't have. That's why I think he'll want to keep him.
We signed lundstrum on a free obviously he had a signing on fee

The idea ge should give him 35k a week over 4 years is not only ridiculous it's financial mismanagement and partly the reason we find ourselves in the state we're in
Matondo I doubt we could move on
Scott wright knocked back a move and was probably correct from his perspective
Ben Davies 4.7m according to transfer market, fukin wow if we paid that
Goldson on Upwards of 35k,
Tav likely the same
Dessers
Lammers
Could go on and on

He could be part of the problem if he’s not willing to bin the serial losers.

McInnes in by Christmas wouldn’t honestly shock me if we continue with no changing the deep rooted losing mentality in the squad.

Fingers crossed Lundstram isn't given a new contract.

The only way I see Tav leaving is if that rumoured interest from Gerrard in Saudi is genuine and he can earn big bucks in what's left of his career. However can't overlook the fact Tav has a rumoured two years remaining on his current contract and will receive a Testimonial should he be here past next summer.

Goldson, like Tav has two years remaining on his contract and imho will be the hardest to shift as his game has regressed the most over this season which unlikely to impress any suitors.

It can't be overlooked that both Tav and Goldson hardly ever missed a game in their time st the club and I believe this constantly playing with no rest has taken its toll on them. If both are at Rangers next season they have to be told that if both are our first choice for their positions that they will not play week in, week out, there will be spells when rested for their own (and the sides) good.

I think we sometimes forget how much damage we suffered in 2012 the rest of Scottish gave us a good kicking and damn nearly killed us .And it's been a hard road ..but were still here the new manager bounce is wearing off a bit but the players and management are doing their best .

Whatever anyone thinks we won't be replacing 10-15 players this summer. This isn't football manager!

QUOTE="Bradbo88, post: 16279693, member: 9811"]
Conversly, if we don't force a lot of our play through our aging right back we might spread goals through the team?
[/QUOTE]
If Tavernier conversely doesn't score in the League Cup Final them we don't win it do we.

His goals including that particular one would have to have come from somewhere else which - regardless of the if my gran had bollocks she would be my grandad type argument- would be unlikely.

Is the team going to score more if all the play isn't flowing through the right back?

Seems a stretch.

Tavernier is definitely on the wane - everyone can see that but he isn't the single point of failure - if u deduct his goals from the league table we would simply be worse off - that's a basic fact without any speculation about otherwise.

Back