Clubs and Players who are scarred for life

BobbyShearer

Official Ticketer
The thread on Rodgers throwing away a lead with 3 games to spare had me thinking about others within football who will never be able to shake something off for their entire career or history.

AC Milan for example. Unlike other teams who would see a 3-0 lead during a match as a comfortable, healthy position, they must always as a club have a mental issue after Istanbul.

Celtic going into a last day title chase will always have Helicopter Sunday eat away at them.

Thankfully, I cant really think of ours :D

But there must be a fair few players, managers and clubs who don’t act the same as others in certain situations?

Schalke.

Their fans were on the pitch celebrating winning the title when news of a last minute Bayern goal snatched it away from them.

Bayer Leverkusen up until this season.

Dortmund's last day collapse last season must still hurt as well.

My PTSD is last minute corner equalisers as Alan Macgregor is rooted to his line versus jobbers who are only one goal down because we are ludicrously profligate in front of goal. Not sure it’s scar we will never get over but I might not.

That and welsh penalty takers. That night I died a little inside. First and only time I have left a cup final bang on final whistle/end. Was in such a daze/trance it was only outside the stadium sitting on a concrete block I realised I should be clapping the team.

Brighton after their 83 fa cup final loss to Man Utd when a certain Gordon Smith missed a sitter
late on. "And Smith must score" Hero of mine back in the day.

Not so much the club but I'll never get over Kent not burying that chance in Seville.

Not so much the club but I'll never get over Kent not burying that chance in Seville.

No idea what VAR would have done there but I remain convinced they gave the ball out as Davis shot was headed over the bar and we didn’t get a corner

Schalke.

Their fans were on the pitch celebrating winning the title when news of a last minute Bayern goal snatched it away from them.

I remember that day well. You couldn’t not feel for the Schalke fans that day. Bayerns goal came well past injury time as well through an indirect free kick.

That was before any LiveScore apps and the rumour had spread the Bayern game had finished. Brutal.

No idea what VAR would have done there but I remain convinced they gave the ball out as Davis shot was headed over the bar and we didn’t get a corner
Suppose we'll never know but there's been a good few incidents since where the ball has looked totally out only for VAR to confirm it is in by a midge's bawhair

the Belgian league last season on the final day to the crown the winners.

that season in Germany I think it was Schalke possibly that lost it in the final seconds of the final game.

the Belgian league last season on the final day to the crown the winners.

that season in Germany I think it was Schalke possibly that lost it in the final seconds of the final game.
Hamburg score on 89 to put schalke top. Bayern then equalise right at the end of injury time from an indirect free kick due to a passback. I'm sure all the Hamburg keeper had to do was blooter the ball away but he chose to pick it up.

The limbs in the munich end did look epic though to be fair.

The thread on Rodgers throwing away a lead with 3 games to spare had me thinking about others within football who will never be able to shake something off for their entire career or history.

AC Milan for example. Unlike other teams who would see a 3-0 lead during a match as a comfortable, healthy position, they must always as a club have a mental issue after Istanbul.

Celtic going into a last day title chase will always have Helicopter Sunday eat away at them.

Thankfully, I cant really think of ours :D

But there must be a fair few players, managers and clubs who don’t act the same as others in certain situations?

AC Milan won the Champions League two years later against the same opposition.

AC Milan won the Champions League two years later against the same opposition.
Milan beat Liverpool 2 years later in Athens to win the Champions League.

I think I perhaps wasn’t clear in the OP.
I wasn’t referring to simply traumatic defeats or heartbreak.

I meant specific scarring which means being in the exact same position in future causes an impact.

In AC Milan’s case, not a CL final but any time they find themselves 3-0 up in a match.

Benfica would be another example.
Not that they can’t win any European match but that they have lost so many finals after Guttman that anytime they get into one it affects them psychologically.

In the 1966 Libertadores final River Plate were leading Penarol 2-0 at half-time and looking comfortable. Due to a mistake by the goalkeeper, Carrizo, Penarol got back into the match and ended up winning 4-2 in extra-time.

In their next game River were playing Banfied. During the game Banfield supporters threw a chicken, with a red sash painted on it, onto the pitch to highlight River bottling the final.

In 2004 Tevez was sent off for doing a chicken dance in front of the River fans after scoring a goal against them in a Libertadores tie. Boca won 5-4 on penalties.

Obviously, River have won plenty since that game in 1966 but the name Las Gallinas (chickens) has stuck.

Back