Commentators clichés

I always like how they specify that the shot "went just over the top of the bar" as if it were possible for it to go over the bottom of the bar. Over the bar would suffice.

He’s got that in his locker
His favorite left foot. (As against the one he hates)
Just about cleared it. He did just clear it.
Any record which doesn’t count the old English First Division

Do miss Tam saying “ Aribo’s Velcro boots”

That wee rat on the bbc who never stops calling that lot the champions, even in the woman’s game yesterday they were “ having an historic season “

“He has great skill and movement on the ground for such a big man.” (The inference that only midgets can pass, trap, move etc.)

The bar/post saved a certain goal/stopped it going in.

No it never. It was never going in. You could just as easily say it prevented the ball going out for a goal kick.

Tom has a repertoire all of his own:

Dropped anchor
After burners on
Right in the bread basket

The one I came to post was the “He’s just about…” that someone already said. It means nothing.

Super Ally is the best co-comms out there just now, a have to tell you, he really is!

Used to be an English commentator years ago, first goal in every game he'd just name the player and follow it by one nil. Used to do my fkn head in for some reason

For me the most over used two word phrase in football commentary/co-commentary/raidio phone ins etc is "for me" (see what I did there?) when giving an opinion on something.
Why not just say "I think"

Last edited:
I hate when they pluralise everything when discussing teams. The likes if your Goldsons and Lundstums and wright's. No its Goldson Lundstram and Wright there aren't multiple players at Rangers or any team with that name. Does my head in or should that be heads

The current handball rule seems to have brought around a lot of commentators / pundits saying “If you’re giving a penalty for that you’re going to see penalties given every single week.” We do, because it’s the rule.

Setting out their stall and then shutting up shop.

Listing players names but making them multiple’s,

“Your Silva’s, your Cantwell’s and your Matondo’s”

Why do the say players names in plural too?

We have to talk about your Taverniers, Goldsons, Souttars etc...

Back