Connor Goldson

It must be a very hard decision and he's probably wishing Rangers would offer what he wants - or at least an acceptable compromise.

I'm a little surprised we've taken such a strong stance, especially given some of the contracts we've given out. It suggests we may have a replacement lined up that isn't Souttar.
What if Goldson believes he’s worth a figure that simply isn’t within our pay structure?

If his agent has told him he’ll get £50k a week south of the border and our best offer is £30k there’s a sizeable disparity that probably can’t be bridged.

Personally I’m of the mind that players nowadays just have a lifespan at clubs and that recycling talent in and out to keep things fresh is a healthy policy.

As great as he’s been at times, we shouldn’t be held to ransom and if he decides to move on he’ll go with our best wishes.

I think Gio will bring in at least one quality centre half in the summer anyway.

Agree, I want an upgrade.

We can do better, and have generally done better over my 50 years watching the club.

The club hasn't been in the last ten years at the level it was.
You could say that in every position and of every player.

How we upgrade the current quality is the million dollar question.

Agree, I want an upgrade.

We can do better, and have generally done better over my 50 years watching the club.
I think Doekhi will be his replacement can’t say I’ve seen a lot of him but we will see.

Balogun made a massive difference when he came on last night throwing himself at everything that’s the difference.

Goldson's off his head if he trades nights like last night for some Championship jobber. Money isn't everything in life. Surely what's on offer can't be that different can it? He must be on about £20k/£25k just now I would imagine. Who in the Championship to mid table EPL matches that, never mind blows it out the water? Not many. I'm sure we aren't exactly offering him pennies on the dollar to stay!!

Anyway, if he goes, he goes. He's not irreplaceable - just look at him for Dortmund's 1st goal last night.

Glasgow Rangers will be a much bigger loss to Connor Goldson, than Connor Goldson ever will be to Glasgow Rangers.
To be honest m8, most teams outside the top 6 could pay double what we pay him. But I completely agree, why would he want to leave, it'll never match playing for our club! I'm sure he'd make enough up here to secure him and his family for life if he decided to stay!

£30kpw... move the whole family to glasgow. Move the wife's mother up and keep her sweet. It's a short career.

I think GVB wants a central defence that can defend and out muscle the opposition. He wants clean sheets which means time for change. (Last season was extraordinary).

I don’t know. The average championship player is on £35k/w - factor in that he’s a free transfer and going, presumably as a starter, filling the home grown quota and I reckon £40k seems pretty on the money.
The average wage in the championship is nowhere near £40k. Maybe for a few promotion pushing teams (I know Norwich was much less last season) but not many out with top 6/8 will be paying that sort of dollar

I think that a wheen of fans must be easy pleased if they think that Goldson is essential to Rangers success. Compare to really good center halfs like Gough and Butcher he is a lightweight. A player in the heart of our defence can't afford to lose his concentration the way he does.
If he wants to go then thanks and goodbye.

The average wage in the championship is nowhere near £40k. Maybe for a few promotion pushing teams (I know Norwich was much less last season) but not many out with top 6/8 will be paying that sort of dollar

I think most can agree Goldson has been pretty good during his time here and brought a lot of positives to the dressing room where I think he has a huge impact helping players settle in and understand the club. Not the perfect player but who is?.

With having had a heart issues in his life also securing his family life would be very important to him. Best wishes if/when he goes.

Don’t think anyone in the championship will be offering him 40k a week
Aye the championship isn't the money pit it was a few years ago. COVID has hit that league bad. The only people on those wages in that league are the guys at teams who've been relegated on that wage.

I have made my views on him before, his first game at Aberdeen he turned his back and cause us two points. he keeps doing it
No defender should ever turn his back on a shot
I will be happy to see him go

Conor Goldson has been an outstanding player for Rangers. He has played a huge part in the rebuilding of our team. A leader on the pitch, barely misses a match, and consistently averages over 50 games a season. Trusted by successive managers to play almost every match. He will be a massive loss if and when he goes and he will be very difficult to replace.

Yes Connor please sign and give away a potential 5 million (at least) signing on fee.The big man has been excellent and when he leaves it will be with my very best wishes.Mbappe,Rudiger and Pogba are free transfers in the summer it happens get over it.

Conor Goldson has been an outstanding player for Rangers. He has played a huge part in the rebuilding of our team. A leader on the pitch, barely misses a match, and consistently averages over 50 games a season. Trusted by successive managers to play almost every match. He will be a massive loss if and when he goes and he will be very difficult to replace.
Correct.The amount of games he has played for us means even if he leaves for free he has been an excellent signing.

It will be interesting to see if Aribo or Kent receive such well wishes if they decide to run down their deals and leave for free.

He missed a couple of years due to his health and is looking for a payday, I won't have go at him for that. He'll never be skint but money talks, it's what he wants to do next that decides, football or money

He’s gave his best for us and we have reaped the benefits.. but to move forward as a club i would say centre half is a position we should be looking to improve on before any other.. a blind guy could see Goldson has that calamity moment against the elite.. and we are now back to the level where it shouldn’t be accepted..

Would love the big guy to stay. We will really struggle to replace what he brings, especially in our budget. The club strategy is more important though, so if he doesn't fit the structure, he goes with my best wishes.

Agree with the posters above, we can't be in this position with RK and JA next season.

To be honest m8, most teams outside the top 6 could pay double what we pay him. But I completely agree, why would he want to leave, it'll never match playing for our club! I'm sure he'd make enough up here to secure him and his family for life if he decided to stay!
One of my “friends” is a professional golfer.
I liken his situation to Goldson’s in some ways.
He can make a great living in Europe with a win here and there and some decent cards throughout the year.
Or, he can nip over to the US where making the cut in one tournament can make him more than half a year on the European tour.
He keeps his US ventures to a minimum because he still gets a buzz from the tight finishes in Europe.
There is no need to chase the big bucks, as he put it.
Okay, I get there is a lot of differences but there is that similarity as well.

As others have alluded to I don’t think it will be a monetary decision - I’d suggest we are offering him 30k or the best part of a week - even if someone offered him 40k a week I don’t see that as his driver he is already a multi millionaire

He will likely be moving closer to friends and family with his young family as that seems to be what his Mrs wants / needs - so from a natural point of view that makes total sense to me.

If / when he leaves he will leave with my best wishes as no matter what you think about him he is a big influence in that team / squad.

Like moat modern day footballers he will follow the money

I don’t see it

Throwing some numbers about when he signed for us he will be on 25k ish a week (give or take) on a 4 year deal - suggests he’s made in excess of 5/6m since he has been here.

He could certainly make another couple of million on improved weekly terms elsewhere but don’t see that being his main goal in all honesty.

It will be interesting to see if Aribo or Kent receive such well wishes if they decide to run down their deals and leave for free.

They won’t be allowed to IMHO if they don’t sign new deals we will and should actively try and sell them (Alfie will be the same) financially you can’t have everyone running down there contracts - but you can certainly have some and in Goldsons case it probably makes sense had we been offered 1/1.5m in Jan he was worth more to us (even on Thursday alone) to stay IMHO - but like Souttar at hearts On a different financial scale - he was worth more to hearts to secure 3rd place than the 300k ish we offered to take him early.

The lure of a big pay packet down south and once he's gone all his new teammates will be sick of him saying "I remember playing with 50000 fans shouting my name". Done well for himself a club that took a risk on a player with a potential major health risk too sauntering off without a backward glance but prove me wrong Conor
Sauntering off haha ffs.
If you're going to claim we took a huge risk on him, Then yiu should at least acknowledge he's more than paid us back having played almost every single minute in his 4 years here. Including helping us win back the title.
He signed a 4 year contract.
Maybe he feels 4 years playing against Ross county's and St mirrens is enough and fancys heading home for a new challenge?
Add in the fact that a % of his own fans seem to really dislike him for some bizzare reason, probably stems from when Gerrard wouldn't play Katic.
Don't understand why we always have turn on players because they don't banat to spend their full careers here.

That link says

Did you even read that link? It says £29k a week average with the highest earner on almost £40k more at £68k

If that was the case you would say that?

Did he not make a comment a few months back about progress of his contract negotiations implying rangers hadn’t made an offer or made a poor one prompting the wage structure response from rangers.

Agent filling his head with shite and telling him he’s better than he is.

Like others said, if he signed within our wage structure I would be happy, not ecstatic as I do think he has faults. If they both could stay fit I’d be happy with balogun and hellander.
Big If though as we have seen and John Soutar joins the hopefully fit category also. I think if he goes we need a ready made 30/40 game a season centre half that has proven it.

i'm not fussed, he's replaceable & we shouldnt be breaking any wage structure for him. let him go & bring someone else in.,

Big If though as we have seen and John Soutar joins the hopefully fit category also. I think if he goes we need a ready made 30/40 game a season centre half that has proven it.
That’s the issue as all 3 get injured frequently or at least a history of that in Souters case. Having said that I’d rather we either make do with the 3 we have with Bassey as decent stop gap then being held to ransom.

Although Goldson has been ever present and that’s testimony to how he must train and live his life, it’s also a lot of luck it that, we could give him the big contract and then he gets a season long injury a week later?

It's a key age for a player.
We lose him for nothing or commit him to a deal that essentially ends in the same way.

I hope he signs, I've been as critical of his poor performances as anyone but it's not likely we'll replace him like for like with our budget.
We’d know exactly what we were signing mate , without a transfer fee , I think he might still stay & I hope he does.

Back