Cool Story- King Kai

NewUlster19

Official Ticketer
KaiJohansen-Rangers-Goal-1969-07-12-779x1024.jpg
Living in Auckland NZ at a kiwi BBQ on the weekend .

Sitting around the table chatting to a South African guy .Football came up and he asked who i supported - “ Glasgow Rangers” was the swift reply.

this was met with “ my dad played for Rangers “

certainly wasn’t expecting that response

Transpired he was the son of ‘ King Kai ‘ Johansen .

I do remember him at right back, but at that point I'm too young to appreciate him as a player.

My old man has always maintained that there wasn't much in it as a right back between Johansen and Jardine.

Jardine probably more of a goal threat, but then there's that iconic 66 goal.

Sitting around the table chatting to a South African guy .Football came up and he asked who i supported - “ Glasgow Rangers” was the swift reply.

I was friends at primary school with his sons Kim and Mikel.
Too young to remember the 66 final but Kai did come and watch me play for school team alongside his boys.

We were right in line with where King Kai hit his unstoppable shot. The truly odd thing that I remember most as we started to celebrate was catching out of the corner of my eye jimmy johnstone collapsing to the ground in agony inside his own penalty area. That goal really hurt them. They were so cock sure they’d win, but Jimmy Millar and the whole team wanted it more.

We were right in line with where King Kai hit his unstoppable shot. The truly odd thing that I remember most as we started to celebrate was catching out of the corner of my eye jimmy johnstone collapsing to the ground in agony inside his own penalty area. That goal really hurt them. They were so cock sure they’d win, but Jimmy Millar and the whole team wanted it more.
Jimmy Millar played in the midfield that night,best player on the park.

Met one of his sons - think it was Mikel - in a pub in Singapore four or five years back. Had nipped into the pub for a quick one while my missus did a bit of shopping, where an English guy noticed my Rangers top and asked me if I knew who Kai Johanson was, and when I confirmed that indeed I did said that he was due to meet his son in a few minutes and would send him over for a chat. He was as good as his word, and so Mikel and I had a wee blether about that goal in 66 and Rangers. Remember him as a very pleasant, unassuming character, but happy to have some random in a pub raise a glass to his dad.

Last edited:
In my earliest memories of a Rangers team, Kai Johansen was the full-back. The team seemed to be full of Scandinavian players during the late-60s - Johansen, Persson, Sorensen.

Another player who had a difficult start to his Rangers career. He had a hard first Old Firm game against John Hughes but came through it. Is style was more modern in that he did not dive into tackles but manoeuvred players till he could take the ball. The fans were not use to this and took a while to realise how good he was. I met him once with my Dad who knows him and Ian McMillan. Both real Gentlemen.

I wrote to him at Ibrox when I was about 10/11 so be 1967/68. He sent me back a short letter and signed black and white photo which I still have. King Kai.

Back