Cup Final tv Clash

Anony Mouse

The Scottish Cup final will go toe to toe with the Manchester derby down south as the SFA want no repeat of the angry row from last year.

Celtic meet Rangers at Hampden for the first time in more than two decades and it's set to be a fixture that draws eyeballs from across the globe. It's set for May 25, the same day Manchester United face rivals City in the FA Cup showpiece down south, with both games currently pencilled in for 3pm kick-offs.

The BBC hold the rights to both finals which poses an obvious scheduling headache and last year, the SFA got around that by moving the Inverness vs Celtic final to a 5.30 kick-off to allow both finals to be shown live UK-wide. But that sparked fury from both clubs involved in the Hampden showdown who were left furious at the break from tradition. The SFA claimed it was due to a request from the BBC to allow the game to reach 'as wide an audience as possible' but MSPS got involved insisting moving to accommodate the English final set a 'dangerous precedent.'

The backlash was ferocious and according to the Daily Mail, the SFA want no part of a similar saga. And, with the added draw of an Old Firm final this year, it's reported they plan to press ahead with a 3pm kick-off that will clash with the Manchester derby.

It's reported that Police Scotland are reluctant to sanction a later kick-off to reduce the chance of trouble. And cops down south, who brought last year's FA Cup showpiece forward from 5.15pm to 3pm due to similar concerns, also favour a 3pm kick-off. It's believed neither authority are likely to consider a request from the BBC this year to move the games and they are now set for a ratings battle.

I might be wrong here, but is there not another BBC channel that could show the FA Cup final up here for those who want to watch it, BBC 2, BBC 4 or the likes?
You can access regional BBC TV on your Sky box, or whatever provider you use, so everyone has a choice of which game to watch. I think the issue is that people will want to watch both and obviously can't if they both have the same KO time.

The overwhelming majority in England will want to see the FA final. The overwhelming majority in Scotland will want to see our final. Games kick off at the same time often (see the recent Champions League semi finals involving Arsenal and Manchester City).

Those not going to Hampden or Wembley will just need to choose which one matters most to them, then watch highlights later of the other one.

No way the kick offs should be changed.

Most people have two tvs or a tv and a laptop and most pubs have two tvs or more. Free to air tv so you can have both on. Not fussed about the Manchester version and I'm sure they feel the same about us. 25 may has been set for both games since the start of the season and both games deserve a 3pm kick off

Sounds ok but if we win I’ll be celebrating. Lose and I’d wouldn’t really
be in the mood for football.

I am the same mate. But the poster I was replying to was saying both at the same time, meant not being able to watch both if you wanted too.

Its a pretty simple solution.

I personally think it will be sad not to be able to watch both of the showpiece finals live on the same day.
A 1 PM kick off for ours should be followed by a 4 PM kickoff for theirs (in case of extra time and penalties) to allow the games to be watched back to back.
Millions more eyes on an old firm final than will be the case if directly up against the FA cup final between both Manchester clubs.

Wasn't a problem 22 years ago. The Chelsea v Arsenal FA Cup Final and Rangers v Celtic Scottish Cup Final both had a 3pm kick off time.
We watched the game in the harbour bar in Belfast which was a rangers/loyalist pub.up stairs they had our game on and downstairs they had the fa cup final.up stairs was bunged,down stairs had about five people watching.

I personally think it will be sad not to be able to watch both of the showpiece finals live on the same day.
A 1 PM kick off for ours should be followed by a 4 PM kickoff for theirs to allow the games to be watched back to back.
Millions more eyes on an old firm final than will be the case, if directly up against the FA cup final between both Manchester clubs.

No thanks.

3pm kick off.

A 1 PM kick off for ours should be followed by a 4 PM kickoff for theirs (in case of extra time and penalties) to allow the games to be watched back to back.
Millions more eyes on an old firm final than will be the case if directly up against the FA cup final between both Manchester clubs.
Who really cares about this?

People in England don't give a fúck about Scottish football.

The idiots that run Scottish football don't care about it either so they shouldn't start moving kick off times about under the pretence that they do.

Who really cares about this?

People in England don't give a fúck about Scottish football.

The idiots that run Scottish football don't care about it either so they shouldn't start moving kick off times about under the pretence that they do.
On the final day of the football season, millions of football fans around Britain will be happy to watch any cup final shown live as they know there won’t be any club football until the new season.

I imagine this will be the last year of such a headache with the English bringing forward their cup final by one week from next season.

EPL is king down there and they have slowly but surely devalued their FA Chp. We mustn’t make the same mistake, Scottish FA Cup must remain at 3pm on the last Saturday of the season.

You'd need to pay me to watch an English cup final. I wouldn't watch the Scottish one either unless we are involved. Imo both games should be traditional 3pm KOs, after all who cares about the BBC. It wasn't long ago they had to apologise for decades of unfair and frankly sinister coverage of our club.

On the final day of the football season, millions of football fans around Britain will be happy to watch any cup final shown live as they know there won’t be any club football until the new season.
Misty eyed rubbish.

How about we just make decisions based on the supporters that it will affect and not English football fans needing a fix before the Euros start.

The goons that run the game here do nothing with enhanced tv viewing numbers anyway other than negotiate worse deals than the previously agreed contract.

Agree with this and seems a sensible compromise. It's a case of exposing our game to the maximum amount of people which will help grow interest in our game. Making people choose between one and the other prevents this.

Is it really that much of an inconvenience to move KO forward by a few hours for our fan base and move the FA Cup back a few hours? I get the whole tradition argument, but you have also got to think about chances to grow interest in our game and the Scottish Football product. Making folk choose between us and the FA Cup means we will lose that.

Looks like il be having 2 TVs on the go simultaneously.

Anyone know of a half n half city/rangers shirt give me a shout!

Back