Press Conference Cyriel Dessers speaks ahead of the Dundee clash at Ibrox

For all his faults he has the correct mentality for our club. A thankless task at the weekend but got on the score sheet to get that monkey of his back.
He's a likeable big guy and he may have the correct mentality for the club but unfortunately he doesn't have the required ability.

If we can recoup what we paid, we should bite the hand off whoever offers it.

He's a likeable big guy and he may have the correct mentality for the club but unfortunately he doesn't have the required ability.

If we can recoup what we paid, we should bite the hand off whoever offers it.
21 goals, our highest return from a striker in years. I'm not saying he should be first choice but I wouldn't be rushing to get him out the door.

If he can get over 20 goals in this team, imagine what he could do with better players around him. Why folk are rushing to get him out the door is beyond me.
Seems to be the way with us. So many people on here were quick to usher Colak out of the door because he wasn't fit for the 'Beale style of play'.

I suspect he'll be away but it's not a given that whichever strikers we get in will be netting 20+ goals for us next season.

21 goals, our highest return from a striker in years. I'm not saying he should be first choice but I wouldn't be rushing to get him out the door.
Done more than enough, and shown more than enough mentally, to be part of a new look squad next season. We’ll sign a new focal striker, but Dessers as an option off the bench or in certain games isn’t a bad shout - especially with a better midfield and better wide players supplying him.

Fans have a strange outlook at times with players, seen a few times now with Dessers and recouping what we paid, we always say we undervalue players compared to the scum, we could have a striker on 21+ goals this season who’s scored in Europe and we will accept 3 million quid what do you think they’d be touting him for all over the place , certainly not that.

I’d keep him and add another and have two strikers capable of those numbers, maybe the second more composed and able to take the chances Dessers misses then if one gets injured we aren’t fucked like we are now, I definitely woken t be punting him for 3 million quid.

Never takes much for players to say some words that get fans onside again

He is not what is required, yip 20 odd goals but misses far far too many, even against Ross county at 1 up he missed an absolute sitter and another decent chance to go 2 up and we’d have been cruising

So many on here wanting to see improvement but want to stick with the likes of Dessers up front, we need to be absolutely ruthless, another season watching him miss the chances he does is not going to deliver what we need

21 goals on the face of it may seem like a decent return but it's taken him 51 games to get there, or a goal every 2.4 games. Morelos for contrast averaged 1 in 2.1 over his Rangers career and was a far superior forward at his best.

If you look at their stats for the league campaigns in the last two seasons, there's an argument that he's not even as effective as Morelos at his worst.

Dessers 15 league goals beats Morelos 11 of last season but it took him 641 more minutes to get there. Morelos managed a goal every 135 minutes. Dessers is averaging a goal in the league every 142 minutes.

If you factor in Morelos 6 assists to Dessers 3, in terms of goal contributions in the league, Morelos managed 17 and Dessers has managed 18. Dessers has played 2133 minutes to morelos 1492, over 7 games of a difference. Morelos goal contribution rate was 1 every 87 minutes. Dessers is 1 every 118 minutes.

Colak managed 13 goals in 1392 minutes or 1 in 107 minutes. His 3 assists put him at a goal contribution rate of 1 every 87 minutes.

Dessers stats are padded by the fact he's been the only option we've had for so long, he's played so many minutes of each game. He's statistically the poorest striker we've had out of the three in the last two seasons.

It's not all about goals and assists if you are the type of striker that can hold the ball up, bring people into play, occupy defences or press. Dessers can do none of these things.

I'd play Morelos or Colak ahead of him tomorrow if it was possible, the guy is just not good enough.

Crazy to get rid of him, he scores more than he misses. Thus season he'll hopefully have learned a lot especially from Phil and he'll be the better for it next season, I think Dessers will come good, I'd give him another chance.
Id keep him in the squad. First season in a new Country, a new League and at times a shambles of a team and he has hit over 20 goals. Not brilliant by any means, but never hides.

After a defeat like saturday, the Captain should have done that interview, so fair play to Dessers for facing the Press.

Id keep him in the squad. First season in a new Country, a new League and at times a shambles of a team and he has hit over 20 goals. Not brilliant by any means, but never hides.

After a defeat like saturday, the Captain should have done that interview, so fair play to Dessers for facing the Press.
Chief Rafferty is a brave bear, fancy suggesting the Captain step forward at times like this. Well said, Sir

There are bigger problems than Dessers. However, his age goes against him. If we can get money in we might have to and get a younger replacement with more sell on potential, who can also do the job.

21 goals on the face of it may seem like a decent return but it's taken him 51 games to get there, or a goal every 2.4 games. Morelos for contrast averaged 1 in 2.1 over his Rangers career and was a far superior forward at his best.

If you look at their stats for the league campaigns in the last two seasons, there's an argument that he's not even as effective as Morelos at his worst.

Dessers 15 league goals beats Morelos 11 of last season but it took him 641 more minutes to get there. Morelos managed a goal every 135 minutes. Dessers is averaging a goal in the league every 142 minutes.

If you factor in Morelos 6 assists to Dessers 3, in terms of goal contributions in the league, Morelos managed 17 and Dessers has managed 18. Dessers has played 2133 minutes to morelos 1492, over 7 games of a difference. Morelos goal contribution rate was 1 every 87 minutes. Dessers is 1 every 118 minutes.

Colak managed 13 goals in 1392 minutes or 1 in 107 minutes. His 3 assists put him at a goal contribution rate of 1 every 87 minutes.

Dessers stats are padded by the fact he's been the only option we've had for so long, he's played so many minutes of each game. He's statistically the poorest striker we've had out of the three in the last two seasons.

It's not all about goals and assists if you are the type of striker that can hold the ball up, bring people into play, occupy defences or press. Dessers can do none of these things.

I'd play Morelos or Colak ahead of him tomorrow if it was possible, the guy is just not good enough.
In a season with the injuries he has had, I don't think using the amount of time he has played against him is fair. Being available every week, even when the fans were right on his back at the start of the season, shows a robustness we haven't had in a striker in a while.

I'd keep Dessers, not every player hits the ground running in their first season yet he has scored a fair amount of goals.

We still need a better striker but Dessers, Danilo and a new striker should be strong enough if they stay fit.

FairPlay to him being the one facing the press conference today after such a bad result on Saturday, as others have said above , a real captain should’ve fronted up for the press

I don’t fault dessers for his attitude & all round he seems a genuine professional , just sadly not good enough and must be replaced in the summer
There is no way we are winning a league with him as the number 9, amount of chances he needs / lack of pace and killer instinct to take the shot

100%.

In a season with the injuries he has had, I don't think using the amount of time he has played against him is fair. Being available every week, even when the fans were right on his back at the start of the season, shows a robustness we haven't had in a striker in a while.
I'm happy that he's been available to play, it's just a pity he can't contribute more when he actually does.

Prior to the Hearts semi final, he had 1 goal in 9 games as our season fell apart.

He offers nothing in the way of build up play. He's a penalty box striker that is a poor finisher and constantly fluffs his lines. He has a touch like a kerb.

His stats are a product of the fact he's basically playing every minute of every game because, unlike in seasons gone by, there's no Defoe, Colak, Roofe or Itten to rotate in.

If Morelos 11 goals in 1492 minutes of league football is a poor return, why is Dessers 15 goals in 2133 minutes acceptable?

For the money we spent on him, if we can recoup that we should sell.

He’s likeable but just not what is required to bridge the gap. His numbers should entice a few clubs I would hope.

After a defeat like saturday, the Captain should have done that interview
Along with Lundstrum and an apology to the fans ...they're both hidng and no wonder.

Anyone got the data from OF that shows the duels each player had ?

Though that was a good interview and tbf better questioning from the press / podders

Last edited:
Haven't seen Saturday's game, but finally got to see the 3-3 game.
Having been majorly over critical of this guy, and his goal scoring, which has now passed over 20?
I was very impressed with his work rate. Especially considering he was up against Carter Vickers, in this game, and other defenders I rate in Europe.

In that 3-3 game, their back line no peace what so ever.
And if we had others chipping in with goals, like we are supposed to, then things could have been very different in the league.
One player who use to give his all, and scored a good few goals, some very important, was Scott Arfield.We don't even have a player now that can score goals regularly in midfield like him.
It's freakin must in this day and age.
Their midfield three all score.

Anyway if Dessers had, had that partner, or midfield player who could at least shared some of that burden, then again, things might have turned out differently for us.
Possibly Sima if he had stayed fit?

Dessers is not the greatest player, and his ability that I saw is limited, but he will work his ass off, and create chances for others as well.Mainly due to his constantly harassing the opposition.
Is he the answer going forward? Possibly not.
I still would like someone much more clinical than him in front of goal. But I do like his attitude, and work rate, and wish a few more had half the passion this guy seems to show.

Done more than enough, and shown more than enough mentally, to be part of a new look squad next season. We’ll sign a new focal striker, but Dessers as an option off the bench or in certain games isn’t a bad shout - especially with a better midfield and better wide players supplying him.
Will we though?
With the return of the 6 million pound man, and talk we are signing Sima, we may already have our forward line here for starting next season?
Hope I'm wrong.

No way can we bin that whole squad in one window. But we desperately need a few aggressive horrible bastards in our team. And up front someone who will as in the old Scottish term kick his granny to score a goal , someone not afraid to put his head in where it hurts to score a goal, certainly not silva.

No way can we bin that whole squad in one window. But we desperately need a few aggressive horrible bastards in our team. And up front someone who will as in the old Scottish term kick his granny to score a goal , someone not afraid to put his head in where it hurts to score a goal, certainly not silva.
If you can’t get a proper good player get a tough physical mentally strong character . It’s the Alec Ferguson model can’t find a decent LB so sign Doug Rougvie

I'd keep Dessers, not every player hits the ground running in their first season yet he has scored a fair amount of goals.

We still need a better striker but Dessers, Danilo and a new striker should be strong enough if they stay fit.
You reckon Danilo is the striker type PC likes Recoba ? I don’t think so tbh

For the people who want to keep Dessers, I have one question...

...are your eyes painted on?

He may have scored over 20 goals, but given the chances he's had, he should have scored about 50.

He's never a footballer. He takes 7 touches when 2 would do. He never hits first time shots. He is very frequently offside.
A lot of people suggesting we should keep him as well as signing more strikers. How long do we keep him for? Until he is worth nothing, either through not playing much or running down his contract?

We will never get more money for him than we will this summer.

He has to go.

Will we though?
With the return of the 6 million pound man, and talk we are signing Sima, we may already have our forward line here for starting next season?
Hope I'm wrong.
I don’t think Sima was ever staying here, as much as he publicly stated how settled his family and newborn are in Scotland.

I think he was a signing well beyond our finances, both in fee and salary.

He may have scored over 20 goals, but given the chances he's had, he should have scored about 50.

He's never a footballer. He takes 7 touches when 2 would do. He never hits first time shots. He is very frequently offside.
A lot of people suggesting we should keep him as well as signing more strikers. How long do we keep him for? Until he is worth nothing, either through not playing much or running down his contract?

He has to go.
Over the top pish. He has been paying the price all season for making himself available at the start of the season when he was clearly about 30% fit. 20+ goals in his first season in a new league is not to be sniffed at.

Is he the answer to all our problems up front? No. Is he good enough to contribute to our squad going forward? Yes.

If we got a good bid then I'd of course take it but that should be the case for every member of our squad at all times.

He’s a good guy, tries his best I think, scored decent number of goals, but the big moments when we need him to put it away he can’t do it.
If we get a decent offer take the cash. If he ends up staying it must be as a squad payer behind the first pick striker we have to still find.

He has to go.

Agreed, he also is forever getting caught offside

You reckon Danilo is the striker type PC likes Recoba ? I don’t think so tbh
I'm not sure but he hasn't been able to get going due to injury, there was a 2-3 week spell were I thought he looked really good so we are yet to see what he is capable of.

Is he the answer to all our problems up front? No. Is he good enough to contribute to our squad going forward? Yes.
Let me ask you this.

Does Dessers instill a confidence in you that he will get us a goal when we need it?

He has scored a decent number of goals this season purely because, of all our strikers, he has played by far the most number of minutes.

Sima, a wide player, scored almost as many goals in a fraction of the time.

We need a centre forward who can bury a good % of chances created, and that's not Dessers.

You say he can be a decent squad member, but if he is back up to a new centre forward, he will play considerably less minutes than he has done this season, and his goal return will be poor.

I'd rather we sold Dessers while his stock is reasonably high, bought a new striker and kept Danilo as back up.

If he can get over 20 goals in this team, imagine what he could do with better players around him. Why folk are rushing to get him out the door is beyond me.
Thr players around him have already created enough chances for him to be on 30+ goals this season and he has consistently missed chances we expect him to score. I like him as a character but he isn't clinical enough, any decent striker would have scored more this season with his chances.

Not fussed if he goes or stays as a back up, but he absolutely cannot be our starting no. 9 next season.

20+ goals in as many appearances as he’s had isn’t the best return for the sheer amount of chances he’s had, a lot of which he’s made a complete arse of. He also offers very little in terms of what you expect from a lone striker.

Painfully slow, needs more than one touch to get the ball under control, and invariably gets outmuscled by a CB. He’s so far off what we need from a centre forward, particularly if we have our backs to the wall or badly need an out ball in an OF where we’re under pressure.

I’d I had to choose between keeping or getting rid, I’d sell if we can get anywhere near what we paid for him. He’s the right side of 30, for a few years left on his contract and somehow made the Nigeria squad. Unfortunately his value will likely decrease the further he gets into his contract, unless he turns into prime Morelos next season.

Last edited:
Likeable Big lad, Was uncomfortable with some of the questions being asked but at least he had the balls to go in front of the camera. Big man can be awkward but you can’t say he doesn’t put a shift in. Maybe not the answer but there’s at least 8 players who should be bombed out before Dessers.

Back