Daisy Christodoulou on VAR

Really don't get that argument at all. Football did well before pass backs, substitutions and penalty shoot outs as well but the game has moved on.

The technology exists now to ensure the offside rule can be enforced properly. You might not agree with the rule but that's a different argument.

We lost a final a couple of years ago to a bad offside call. It will never happen again. Why would anyone want to go back to that?
I think it should be clearer; beyond any doubt that "goal' was offside? The third Leeds goal last night, for instance, was missed, but clearly offside. VAR shouldn't used for margins like that in the Coventry game, in my opinion, nor for the way it was used when Dessers scored over a fortnight ago. I should also say, that although I disagree with your points, you put the argument for it well.

VAR hasn't improved the game, only detracted from it by interminable delays, muted goal celebrations, constant argument over millimeters, and the inevitable claims of judgmental errors among VAR officials. Before the advent of VAR, and after any goal, I always looked to see if the ref was pointing to the center circle (or not). This ecstatic or agonizing moment is now denied by technology. Bin VAR.
I don't want VAR binned, but where we're at with it now has made the game so fucking boring for the reasons you name.

Referees have always been subjected to scrutiny and criticism, but in the past I think there was an understanding that there are going to be a few things they don't spot. Dessers' disallowed Old Firm goal, for example, would have invited desperate cries on the Super Scoreboard phone-in of "foul in the buildup!" but the goal would have likely stood and we would have moved on quickly.

Now VAR can be scouring for any infringement in the buildup to a goal, and there's a sense they're looking for any excuse to disallow. On more than a few occasions in the SPL it's felt like they're looking harder in some circumstances than others, just as refs tend to be quicker with dishing out yellow cards for some teams than others.

But VAR has also created a scenario where hack pundits like Sutton and Stewart behave as if they're refereeing the game. And what they do is pure propaganda, intended to create controversy and ramp up pressure on refs. So every other goal, every other penalty awarded, becomes a subject of controversy - if it suits you, of course. Not helped by the ridiculous current iterations of the handball rule and the way offside is handled.

The way rules and VAR combine now, watching football is becoming like forensic science, every decision like Kevin Costner taking apart the Kennedy assassination in JFK, "back ... and to the side." It needs fixed, because right now it's beyond tedious.

He was offside.

People are letting their heart rule their head on this one. Because it was plucky Coventry who were on the wrong end of the decision, and because lots of people hate Man United, people are outraged about it.

Nevertheless, he was offside. VAR did its job.

If that's a Celtic goal in an Old Firm match which is correctly ruled out using VAR, I doubt anyone on here would be complaining that VAR is ruining the game.
This for me.
I’d go a step further and, I’ve posted this elsewhere as well, I’d look at the forward’s play.
Does he have to be so close?
I know there are times it’s unavoidable, unlucky.
However, there are often times where the forward doesn’t need to be as close to being offside.

The problem with offside using VAR is there is still human error involved.

There have been quite a few offsides that have looked dodgy in SPFL and the lines have been visibly squint or the ball hasn't been played yet on the freeze frame.

At the very least we need to get more camera's and better software up here and the big league need automatic offside that UCL use.
There should be no human error for offside decisions with VAR.
It is a black and white decision, not a subjective one.

There should be no human error for offside decisions with VAR.
It is a black and white decision, not a subjective one.
Should be black and white but it's a guy putting the lines on and choosing the still frame etc and a good few of them have looked squint up here.

I think it should be clearer; beyond any doubt that "goal' was offside? The third Leeds goal last night, for instance, was missed, but clearly offside. VAR shouldn't used for margins like that in the Coventry game, in my opinion, nor for the way it was used when Dessers scored over a fortnight ago. I should also say, that although I disagree with your points, you put the argument for it well.
The problem is, if you take something like offside, which is binary, and start applying someone's interpretation or judgement, where does it stop?

The Coventry one was as close as it gets but the line has to go somewhere. And millimetres offside is still offside.

Look at the state of the handball rule and the inconsistencies in decision making. Offsides would end up the same way.

Offside under VAR can lead to some extremely harsh but ultimately correct and fair decisions. It's the only absolute in football. And while it was disappointing to lose to Benfica recently, I can accept it because those are the margins and ultimately one day I expect Rangers will benefit in the same way.

With VAR recording images at 50 frames per second it is difficult to determine exactly when the ball was actually kicked. You have to interpolate between the image before the ball was kicked to the frame after the ball was kicked to work out with greater accuracy as to when it was actual kicked. You then need to use this time to work out the positions of the attacker and defender from the before and after the ball is kicked images (which is also an interpolation). The introduction of more advance technology which provides a resolution of 500 frames per second will help improve the accuracy of VAR for offside decisions see https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-world-cups-new-high-tech-ball-will-change-soccer-forever/

I agree with the sentiment but we’ll all say that until it has a major impact on the outcome of a Rangers game and fans of other clubs are similar.

Easy enough to be reasonable right up until we’re robbed of another cup by an offside goal.
Fixed that for you.

All they need to do is create a tolerance (say 6 inches). If the gap between the lines is within this tolerance you say its onside. Offside wasn't invented to catch someone 1 inch in front of the defense.
So a difference of 5.99" is on and 6.01" is off?

Who measures that? Are the lines drawn accurately enough and calibrated, i.e. when exactly the ball is kicked? This just extends the grey area.

these miniscule decisions are a joke and the wenger rule could make all the difference imo

How would it make all the difference though? You'd still have miniscule decisions, but are just moving the point at which you draw the lines.

You'd probably see more goals given, granted, but as long as there are lines to be drawn, decisions being given by a matter of mm will happen.

At least with VAR we're away from the days of linesmen guessing whether a player was offside or not.
We've seen plenty goals given after been flagged offside. One for us in Dortmund springs to mind immediately.

How would it make all the difference though? You'd still have miniscule decisions, but are just moving the point at which you draw the lines.

You'd probably see more goals given, granted, but as long as there are lines to be drawn, decisions being given by a matter of mm will happen.
If they ignored the extremes and concentrated on the players head and torso ,say daylight between the bodies.
many goals are getting judged on a toe or arm atm .ridicules

Back