Daniel Dingwall - 30th Anniversary

Tears in my eyes, lost my Ma over 40 years ago and my Dad passed away within 2 years. They said it was a heart attack but I reckon it was a broken heart.
He was old school, couldn’t boil a kettle and depended on her for everything. He taught me the basics, stand up straight, look people in the eye and give a firm handshake.
A very serious Masonic man who was a PM and very active in the craft.
He took me to see The Rangers when I was about 7yo and I was hooked from the beginning. He taught me to say please and thank you and show respect to my elders.
This generation could learn a lot from these values.

Of course here is the appropriate place and the right time Mark. I enjoyed reading about your Father and his life and your obvious love for and admiration of him. Thanks for posting those pictures and messages. For the most part I’d assume the lifelong passion and love we have for the Rangers stems from our Fathers and Grandfathers. And many good Mothers and Grandmothers too I must add.

Last edited:
Some lovely posts in this thread really nice Tribute and what a role model to look up too and make him proud

Like the touch with the Sprig My daughters name is Acacia

Today marks 30 years since my dad died. A long time ago I realised that no-one was going to name a street after him, or raise a statue to him or put his name on a building. But in his own way he was a great man. Most of us are lucky enough to have had good fathers - but he was my dad, and I loved him.

What follows is a wee compilation of posts I made on Facebook over the years.

As the years march on I feel a wee need to mark his life - FF might not be the appropriate place to do it. But it’s the best I can do.
This is the perfect place to remember and honour your Dad

We all remember and it's well that we do, our future is propelled by our past.

Good memories Mark, indulge in them.

I’m currently watching my dad slowly fade away day by day. Heartbreaking tbh. If yours is still around and sharp of mind, cherish them and hold them close.

My heart goes out to you mate, my two elder Brothers and I walked a similar road thirty-five years ago with our Dad and its not easy. At this very difficult of times, all we can do for our Parents is keep strong and just be there for them and the rest of the family and help in any way we can. Thoughts and best wishes to you all.

Totally agree with your sentiment, cherish your Parents while you have them, all too often people are left with 'if only' and a load of regrets, unfortunately tomorrow becomes yesterday all too quckly as the days flash bye.

Great tribute Mark, by the comments you made about him, it's clear to see he was a very much loved and respected man, who has obviously had a massive influence in your life.

My two elder Brothers and I had a similar upbringing from our Parents, which we've appreciated throughout our lives. Our Dad was a hard-working Man, who was all about his family, sadly he went before his time, due to the impact of working nearly forty years down the Coal Mines. The character and values he instilled in us throughout our lives helped make us the Men we are. These traits have been well instilled in our Families as well. We might not have been rich in monetary terms, but we were Millionaire's in regards to the love, guidance and values we received throughout our lives.

Very moving To a great dad and a kind strong man thank Mark, got me going…..

My dad passed after a long battle with cancer when I was 10 back in 71. Though he was very I’ll I can still remember him getting up on a Saturday to watch the horse racing getting me to be the jockey of his horse on the back of the sofa as if it was yesterday, we watched the 1970 World Cup together it was wonderful to have these moments with a wonderful man. When he passed it was like the world ended for mum who then took it on and raised us all to be respectful hard working people in dads mould there were 5 of us. that generation were special I strive to make them proud everyday and hope I do. My sons never got to know my dad personally but they know him well through the memories I share. Love you dad your my hero for allowing me to be your favourite jockey despite the pain you were going through .

Lovely tribute to your dad.
My dad, who was also in the desert campaign in the last war, passed away 26 years ago this coming June.
Not a day passes without me thinking of him.
They were better men than us.

Every Christmas until the one just before he died he always made sure one of my presents was an orange and a penny in a sock - a wee reminder of what he used to get as a kid.
First time i have seen this thread Mark and it is a lovely tribute to your father. He was a fine man and he has set your values well sir.

I'm sorry that I didn't ever get to meet him, we first met in 2000, but I did get to know your mother and I attended her funeral along with Davie Leggat. Think it may have been the last funeral I attended that was organised by someone who didn't pull that cheap and nasty sandwiches stunt, which speaks volumes for yourself and those who raised you.

A lovely tribute mark I've just read every word. Your dad will be so proud of you. Take care

A very moving tribute Mark. I miss my own mum and dad so much. Had a wonderful childhood thanks to the both of them and would love to spend another day with them now

Touching tribute Mark. Hope you got out of it what you needed.

Still have both my parents (touch wood). Dread the day I lose either. Have Dad to thanks for Rangers and the Protestant work ethic. Mum to thank for the gob :))

Every Christmas until the one just before he died he always made sure one of my presents was an orange and a penny in a sock - a wee reminder of what he used to get as a kid.
A fitting tribute for your father. My gran always hung up a sock for me every Xmas and there would be an orange, a penny (possibly it was a farthing!) and a small gift, such as a mouth organ or something similar. I’m quite sure my dad and my grandpa would have been at work on Xmas day, at least till 1 o’clock in the 1950’s.

Remember reading this post in Feb.
Very nice tribute Mark.
I'm also the son of an Orangeman.

The inevitability of losing your parents dosen't make it any easier when that awful day arrives.
You're from good stock big man.....have a nice one and the same to you all brothers and sisters.

Traditions are to be held on to.

Respect to your tribute Mark.

Remember reading this post in Feb.
Very nice tribute Mark.
I'm also the son of an Orangeman.

The inevitability of losing your parents dosen't make it any easier when that awful day arrives.
You're from good stock big man.....have a nice one and the same to you all brothers and sisters.
He wasn’t an Orangeman.

Thanks Mark a fitting tribute to your dad. My father passed thirty five years ago. My mum died when I was three weeks old and he brought me up by himself. He was a great man and dad. My hero. Let’s raise a glass to fathers. The unsung superheroes.

Fantastic reading chaps, they are the people who instilled just about everything into us from a young age, did we realise it until they were gone? In my case I'd say yes but obviously I can't turn back time. Hopefully I can now pass it on to my children.

My dad just recently (August this year) he was 93.

A few people had posted about telling your Dad you loved him. I always relied on the fact that he knew that I loved him….. but what if he didn’t?

It upsets me that I didn’t say it to him in person when he was fit and well.

Lovely tribute Mark, my Dad would have been 100 on the 21st October past, Trafalgar day as he was proud to tell us and sadly his 32nd anniversary of his death is this Sunday 31st December on Hogmanay a time he loved as he would make a massive steak pie for the bells and anyone who came to our house got the last meal of the old year and their first meal of the new year. He was the oldest of 6boys and 1 sister and although he wasn't a religious man he installed in me and my 2 younger brothers the difference between right and wrong and respect and good manners. I miss him dearly.

Beautiful tribute, and where better to do it than a site which has become a lasting celebration of what most of our fathers instilled in us?

My dad, Daniel Dingwall, served in the war as a Royal Engineer.

It won’t be that long now until we have no-one left who experienced the Second War World much like the passing of those who could tell us first hand about the Great War.

Growing up it seemed every adult had been in the war. Everyone had tales to tell either of the home front or exotic theatres of battle overseas.

My cousins and I made a few shillings acting as waiters at family or house parties - in those days almost all men drank whisky, Piper or McEwan’s Export in those cans you had to burst open with the pointy edge can opener. The men were usually in the living room while the women were in the sitting room with sherry, Advocaat or Babycham.

The talk was always of shipyards - virtually everyone had worked in the yards, even the women, Auntie Jennie as a forklift driver and Aunty Joey in the canteen - and the war.

One of my dad’s pals was nicknamed “Sass” as he claimed to have been an original member of the Long Range Desert Group, the forerunner of the SAS Regiment. As the nights grew longer the tales got taller!

My dad’s favourite yarn was told about field glasses he had won in a game of dominoes with Field Marshall Rommel while he was a Desert Rat.

My dad was in the 8th Army Royal Engineers but said he went along with a commando raid on Rommel’s HQ and saved his captured comrades from execution by beating the Field Marshall in an all-or-nothing game of dominoes in which Rommel was caught trying to cheat and thereby got his nickname of the Desert Fox!

Quite why a sapper who was trained to clear mines and then spent the rest of the war maintaining cranes in Port Tufic was selected to take part in an assassination attempt was never full explained. Work accident and ringworm scars were shrapnel wounds!

Being a domino game away from execution didn’t really explain why dad or his 8th army pals seemed to hold Rommel in such high esteem as a decent man and a worthy foe. In fact, they idolised him and the Africa Korps as much as they idolised Monty.

It was explained that the graticules - markings on the lenses - on the binoculars worked so that you
work out the range of tanks - and so they do.

I was delighted to be able to take the binoculars out to Israel a few years ago and use them in Haifa, the Golan, Jerusalem, beside the River Jordan, the Judean Hills, the Dead Sea and on top of the great fortress of Masada. The old man would have loved to have seen the Holy Land and I thought of him as I used them.

On top of Masada the thought suddenly struck me as I adjusted the eye-pieces. Why would Field Marshall Rommel have been using a pair of British binoculars made in 1944 - the year after he left Africa?!

The old man - as usual - had the last laugh. One more time.

Wonder if they mentioned my dad’s role in this tale. :))

nice thoughts , a couple stand out especially who you chose to support my dad followed Aberdeen & Scotland but his work at the fishing and my love of football meant i just sided with my 2 best mates at that an age (8) when you chose a side so i copied them and followed Rangers , his cutting remarks after the 1980 cup final to not being allowed to use the front door after our first win in 9 years at Pittodrie " get round the back " ....... but i can still hear his roar & Joy when Hewitt scored that winner in Gothenburg

Miserable bastard.

I got you a half block of onion slice, a bottle of Bacardi and a packet of tangerines when I came to visit!

Sure we did talk about him that day, and it wasn't long ago. Maybe why the thread's popped up again.

That was really something reading through that just now.

Your old man sounds like he was one of a kind. I'm sure you're very proud.

Back