David Bates EPL Links

Some of the views on here re Bates are bonkers.

Richard Gough, prob the best centre half I’ve seen at Rangers, was playing right back for DUFC at the age Bates is now. At that time he’d shown no real potential for being a legend at Ibrox in the centre of defence.

Point is Bates, like Gough, may develop into a legendary player. Or he may not. But this attitude of “I saw him last year and he’ll never be very good” is crazy!
Gough had won a league title and was playing in the semi final it the Euro Cup for Dundee Utd at his age.

Apparently Gough was a pretty great RB

Richard Gough, prob the best centre half I’ve seen at Rangers, was playing right back for DUFC at the age Bates is now. At that time he’d shown no real potential for being a legend at Ibrox in the centre of defence.

Point is Bates, like Gough, may develop into a legendary player. Or he may not. But this attitude of “I saw him last year and he’ll never be very good” is crazy!

Gough had half a dozen full international caps by Bates' age and was a standout in a title-winning Dundee Hibs side.

Maybe not at that level yet, but i thought he was a very good player. Has the pace and physicality to play at that level. I know this sounds daft, but i always thought the fact that he was a ginger meant he became a bit of a joke figure. :D

Is this the Hamburg manager?

kate-upton-sexy-nun.jpg

So, I take it that his career has come on leaps and bounds since he left Rangers, as I recall, he was still a raw talent when he left.

in amongst some terrible performances from CBs last year, who can name one poor game he had for us?

You are correct, he was out of contract, but due to his age we should have got a Development Fee when he went to Germany. No idea why we would get one now, as he is 22.
This kind of transfer is difficult. We have better players than Bates now, for his position, although we will will still grumble re sell on fees if he goes for decent money. The reality is he would not have featured at Ibrox this season, so we can’t really complain as he wouldn’t have had the chance to move for the cash if he was still with us.

Anyone watch the recent Scotland v England U21s Game?
Bates is on no premier League radar that's for sure

I watched the full match. Bates was Scotlands best player by a distance. Looked a good partnership with Porteous (who himself is very raw). I thought his distribution was much improved too. Those two were the only bright spot for Scotland until Ferguson came on.

I think the lad has tremendous potential. Not good enough for Rangers at the moment, but a real prospect for the future. If he bides his time at hamburg, it'll be fantastic for his future development.

This kind of transfer is difficult. We have better players than Bates now, for his position, although we will will still grumble re sell on fees if he goes for decent money. The reality is he would not have featured at Ibrox this season, so we can’t really complain as he wouldn’t have had the chance to move for the cash if he was still with us.

Totally agree.

It's hard to describe, but I always thought that he looked 'awkward'.

Maybe some German coaching will have improved him, but he was nowhere near EPL quality last season.

Totally agree.

It's hard to describe, but I always thought that he looked 'awkward'.

Maybe some German coaching will have improved him, but he was nowhere near EPL quality last season.
My big factor with footballers is how they control the ball. Is it natural and do they allow their side to go forward or is it shit and do they invite pressure on their side.

With Bates, you fear it’s the latter.

Only seen him once this season and he didn’t stand out, plenty of time for him to improve but can’t see him making it in the premier league any time soon.

I know I might sound stupid here but if he's 22 why is he playing for the U21s?

If he improves over the next two or three seasons he may get a move to the EPL but I doubt he's improved that much in the last few months.

Last edited:
Always get the feeling he’s now remembered as some god like defender.

He was bit and honest.

Can’t help but feel he looked better the longer he was injured, as well as the other fact, it was him or Russell Martin. :-0
Jordan rossiter syndrome.

I've got to disagree. Gough was a fantastic player at Dundee Utd albeit at RB. I was desperate for us to sign him. Bates may improve but he'll never reach the level Gough was at Dundee Utd nevermind Rangers.

This is the sort of made up article you normally get about mentally challenged players past & present - only with them it often involves top Spanish or Italian sides -

Just as they are not to be believed when the mentally challengeds are conccerned - neither is this believable

It's maybe significant that there is no mention of any interest from German top flight clubs - who presumably can monitor his progress on their own doorstep without the journey needed to 'flock to Hamburg'

I've no dis-respect for the guy & wish him well - but all the same - I can't take this article seriously

I liked big Bates he had loads of potential not EP potential just an honest big defender who was coming on,If he gets to the EP he would not be the first player who left supporters shaking their heads with disbelief the English game is full of over rated over paid average talented players.

The way some are going in here you would think that EPL centre half's are the world's best by a distance, have any of you actually watched these centre half's? It's full of average centre half's eh with few top class ones at Man City

Bates has the physical presence that scouts down their wet there pants at

Interesting to see how underrated he still seems to be.

He was solid for us with the exception of one or two games and was literally a game changer when we had him at the back.

Plenty seem to be talking him down though with no real substance behind why they are doing so.

I'd put up an argument he is on a similar level if not better to what we currently have based on what we've seen so far this year.

I would take the three centre backs before any of the dross we got rid off....

I had my opinions on Bates and it resulted in a few holidays from here so i will keep them to myself tonight.

this TURNCOAT could not get into our team f..k him
He s no a turncoat mate, the following is
1.A rangers player that plays with celtic at sometime in his career after being with us
2.A protestant that marries a RC in a chapel , and sends the children to a RC school.
If theres no children he /she is still a turncoat by marrying in a chapel.

I've got to disagree. Gough was a fantastic player at Dundee Utd albeit at RB. I was desperate for us to sign him. Bates may improve but he'll never reach the level Gough was at Dundee Utd nevermind Rangers.

Ok mate, maybe John Brown is s better example. At 22 he was playing part time in midfield with Hamilton.

Some years later was one of our best players at centre back v Leeds in the Champs League qualifier and certainly was “EPL standard”.

General point is this place is black and white - “Bates is crap and will never make it to EPL” when in actual fact he might / might not.

Back